Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
“Lets go out there and have some fun boys”

Sheldon Keefe

Devils can only go up after that atrocious season so keefe should look good in his first season. Good luck to him

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Keefe learned on the job, he's not a horrible coach. His biggest flaw has always been he overthinks and doubts himself and ends up making a mistake.

Really good defensive coach, a lot of attention to detail, but too soft for my liking, also has struggled in the playoffs.

I think he'll do just fine in NJ.

Change of scenery and out of the fishbowl could be an ideal place for him to grow from past mistakes.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I haven't seen you post a single positive thing about the team is all I meant. All good, let's not do this I shouldn't have said anything.
Check the Berube thread ;) I'm pretty stoked to have a coach that might have them show some accountability for the first time in 5 years.

Get ready NJ, nothing is ever the players fault now.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Imagine paying a coach to knock you out in the first round the next season :laugh:
I'm all for a good joke on this loser team, but at least try to make sense. I find it highly unlikely one of NJ/TOR wins their division while the other is in the right wild vard spot for a matchup to happen

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
This is an excellent hire by the Devils and one that fits the team well

He developed Toronto into a strong defensive team and his defensive system translates well to the playoffs. I expect him to do something similar in New Jersey

He also loves regrouping and maintaining possession instead of dumping the puck in, which is heaven for guys like hughes and bratt

If the Devils find a decent goalie I'm confident in them putting up 105+ points next year

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Dubas really teaching him things. The ol' take time off and spend it with the family trick worked like a charm just as it did for Dubas:

"Hi Leaf nation, its me Sheldon, Im just out here fishing, looking forward to some time with my fam....oh wait that's my phone, Hi Mr.Fitzgerald, yes, yes, I'd be interested".

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Nothing like hiring a coach who had a great core of young talent and won squaddouch with it to coach another team with a great core of young talent.

Reactions: JKG33 and Smash

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
So what happens to the 2 years owed by leafs.. is Keefe getting 2 salaries for next 2 years?

It won't be fulfilled by the Leafs. Not sure how it works but I just saw a segment on it and another tweet confirmed it. Sorry, no links but if I'm wrong I'll correct it.

Reactions: Brewin8

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
On the one hand he’s a smart guy who will have the team performing well analytically (not like that was ever the Devils problem tho).

On the other hand you can’t point to a single playoff series where it felt like he outcoached the opposition.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
He learned a lot. I have a feeling him being able to start from scratch with all his latest experience...you'll see him do quite well.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Decent hire, would have preferred Berube but apparently he only had eyes for Toronto.

At least Keefe won't have to worry about the pressure of coaching a "Stanley Cup Contender" like he did in Toronto, simply bringing them back to the playoffs is likely going to be considered a win. Winning a round, would be a bonus.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Taking over a 81 pt team that missed the playoffs. Devils are a fast young team. Keefe has the set up to do very well with this group. I would not be surprised if he were in the Jack Adams running next season. It will be interesting to see if his career win% follows him to Jersey.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Also worth noting, Jersey did well to get him signed fast, you can almost feel Dubas' disappointment he is off the coaching market so fast incase he was looking to make a change. Every GM has a fire the coach card. Good on Keefe for getting an early offer, and taking it.

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Glad talk of a coaching search is over. Now everyone can get their hot takes out of their system.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We aren’t looking to make a change. Reirden was the change.

Bear in mind we specifically need an AC that can fix a broken power play, above all else. Now, Toronto has a good PP, but I’m not sure what if anything Keefe has to do with it. I know Boucher ran it this year, not sure about prior seasons.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad