Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That All for Nothing documentary was pretty good.
NHL is doing a different one next year, but don’t think it concentrates on a specific team.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Before the thread becomes toxic, I think Keefe is an outstanding coach. He has flaws like all coaches, but I think he is going to do really well with the Devils. He needs to learn to adapt in a playoff series as that is his biggest red flag.

Otherwise, I think he learned a lot through mistakes and has a lot of experience with high talent rosters. Excellent hire.
He certainly seemed to get the Leafs playing good defensively despite marginal defensive talent

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I'd be taking my paid year off.

Babcock is a mastermind at that.

Got fired. Took the next 3 years off getting paid. As soon as he his old contract ended he took another job and got fired before he even coached another game getting another multi-year paid vacation.

He certainly seemed to get the Leafs playing good defensively despite marginal defensive talent

At the expense of all their offense. He had the Leafs playing defence first hockey with everyone cheating for defence. It makes the defence look better but the offense look a lot worse.

Reactions: PavelDatsyuk13DET

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Babcock is a mastermind at that.

Got fired. Took the next 3 years off getting paid. As soon as he his old contract ended he took another job and got fired before he even coached another game getting another multi-year paid vacation.

At the expense of all their offence. He had the Leafs playing defence first hockey with everyone back. It makes the defence look better but the offence look a lot worse.
well. it was fine in regular season, but yah, it dried up in the playoffs

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
well. it was fine in regular season, but yah, it dried up in the playoffs

The Leafs weren’t a strong defensive team in the regular season though. They completely change their game for the playoffs against their strengths.

Keefe prefers low event hockey in the playoffs. Every year the Leafs score and allow way fewer goals in the playoffs than the regular season. Their scoring chances drop in the playoffs but their scoring chances against drop. Keefe prefers that even when his team isn’t built for that.

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
I thought Keefe would do well with more of a meat and potatoes roster. We’ll see how it goes for him in the postseason with the Devils.
It will be an interesting storyline to follow next season.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Before the thread becomes toxic, I think Keefe is an outstanding coach. He has flaws like all coaches, but I think he is going to do really well with the Devils. He needs to learn to adapt in a playoff series as that is his biggest red flag.

Otherwise, I think he learned a lot through mistakes and has a lot of experience with high talent rosters. Excellent hire.
Yea if you want someone to come in and coddle your players, disappoint in the playoffs, and make your team worse than the sum of its parts, Keefe is your man

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I think this is a good hire. He's not nearly the bad coach some people around here believe. He did the best he could with a team full of diva's who choke under pressure. This is a good hire for NJ.

Going from Lindy Ruff/Travis Green to Keefe is going to be a monstrous difference. I expect teams won't be able to counter the Devils' offense so easily now. It was getting brutal under Lindy.

Give this Devils team a Saros or an Ullmark, and this team will be a Stanley Cup dark horse. And maybe one more competent defensive defenseman.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Keefe learned on the job, he's not a horrible coach. His biggest flaw has always been he overthinks and doubts himself and ends up making a mistake.

Really good defensive coach, a lot of attention to detail, but too soft for my liking, also has struggled in the playoffs.

I think he'll do just fine in NJ.

Reactions: Forge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad