Player Discussion Sheldon Keefe - All encompassing galaxy brain discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Not surprising, but I know someone very close to him. And he was telling him weeks ago that he knew he was getting fired. He is out of answers. I am guessing that tweet above is referring to Brind A'mour.

Physic boldly predicted the Leafs wouldn't win this year. But they did say they would win 2 in the next 5 years. Bring me in some Cooper, Brind A'mour and McDavid. I will check back in 2030.
Interesting. He's acting like a dead man walking so it makes sense. ZERO passion talking pre/post game just like his players performance.

Reactions: horner

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
Well, they do invested on Raptors and TFC to win Championships.
I would not say it is not a priority for them to Win in Hockey.
However, I do agree with you and some other posters that the Leafs are generating more than enough incomes to allow them not to push for winning
It's the image issue they are concerned with. They want nice, squeaky clean boy scouts who corporate seat holders can bring their kids to and ask for autographs.

Consider this, Leafs could have had Kane for nothing. They could have had Corey Perry for nothing.

They were both out of favour, both trouble makers. That was the time to grab them and let them prove themselves. These are just examples of what a team sometimes needs to gamble with. They need their core to be uncomfortable and challenged, not coddled. Certainly the real fans don't need to lose with a bunch of nice guys rather than win with a few perceived A-holes.

For this above reason is why I wanted Bergevin because I know he will rock the boat and boy has this boat needed rocking, for about 3-4 years now...

The only way this team wins is if some wealthy American billionaire who somehow has some odd love of the Toronto Maples Leafs ponies up, overpays and decides to run it with an eye on winning a Cup, regardless of the cast needed to win it.

It has been and remains a Country Club. You are treated well by ownership. You get your nice meals provided, you get a nice sauna, massage and pedicure to make sure you are all prim and proper for your skate around.

What fans don't get is a Cup. Not even a Cup Final!

Reactions: thewave

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Dubas can’t be that dumb to want Keefe now. It should be visible to everyone this guy is not a great head coach.
Hockey is a very chummy sport, and that's where his boy is. It's not unlike when half of SSM moved here in 2018 with Dubas.

So If anyone can find a betting site that will give you good odds, go for it!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
For better or worse, he's definitely got that same something that Burke and Babcock had before coming.

3rd time is the charm, perhaps.
Babcock was a great coach who was important for the early years here, but unfortunately he was an egomaniac even bordering on sociopath who seemed to not be able to connect with people in a healthy way or have players feel comfortable around him; he had also walked into a great roster in Detroit prior to that. Burke kinda lucked into a really good situation with Anaheim as well and rode that wave for a while.

In Coop's case he's led the Lightning program from almost the ground up (they had some very brief success with Boucher), has multiple deep runs including 4 finals appearances and two Cups, and in general seems like a guy who is super respected, intelligent and 'unmessy'.

If something big comes to fruition like a Cooper or a Brind’Amour, then hanging on to Keefe last summer makes sense. If they could see it coming then kudos to Tre and his staff.
Dubas is the real loser for not firing him in 2022 when Trotz, Monty and Cassidy were all available.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
You think Kessel won his Cups because of coaching?

In Vegas he didn't even play a minute in the playoffs and he received a ring.

Coaching is 10-15% of the game. Their primary contribution is player selection and ice time. In the end, if players can't win their matchups, that's on them.

It seems everyone wants us to believe that somehow Mitch will become a Mark Messier come playoffs if only he had the right coach...

This is more insulting than it is comedy. How many coaches have won multiple Cups and are then fired? Including in Pittsburgh?

Did they just forget how to coach?
No one is saying a coach can change MM to a different MM.
For me, HC at the NHL level is an ego massager, motivator, strategic manager, and the bench boss

In the end, you can only push the same button so many times.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leafidelity

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
If something big comes to fruition like a Cooper or a Brind’Amour, then hanging on to Keefe last summer makes sense. If they could see it coming then kudos to Tre and his staff.
I believe Tre keeping Keefe is to buy a year for himself. Keefe may be another Cooper or Brind AMour down the road, but I highly doubt that he will be this year. , Keefe failed to change the game plan in the playoff after many years of playoff failures.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Babcock was a great coach who was important for the early years here, but unfortunately he was an egomaniac even bordering on sociopath who seemed to not be able to connect with people in a healthy way or have players feel comfortable around him; he had also walked into a great roster in Detroit prior to that. Burke kinda lucked into a really good situation with Anaheim as well and rode that wave for a while.
I think that's kind of a harsh appraisal of Babcock's time in Detroit, but it's hard to give him the benefit of the doubt, knowing what a prick he's been,

While I'm a fan of him, Cooper himself walked into a pretty good situation, with Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, and Vasilevskiy either already there or on their way. But that goes without saying that you need good players, but as we're figuring out now, more importantly, you need the right mix.

That's why I said in a previous post that the roster as it stands needs surgery, particularly on the back end, to find that "mix" if he's going to be as successful as he was in TB.

Last edited:

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018

In Coop's case he's led the Lightning program from almost the ground up (they had some very brief success with Boucher), has multiple deep runs including 4 finals appearances and two Cups, and in general seems like a guy who is super respected, intelligent and 'unmessy'.

Dubas is the real loser for not firing him in 2022 when Trotz, Monty and Cassidy were all available.
"sheldon will be talked about with the better coaches in this league"
ya on mars

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Anyone catch Keefe today? Holy shit what a defeated demeanour, sounded flat and almost bummed. Unreal, giving off major loser vibes.

Here it is.

He’s a tool.

“Stick with the plan” - he says it nine times.

He just can’t seem to adjust to anything ever.

For him to even mention goaltending is silly.

We haven’t scored well on Boston for two years.

2 years.

Same shit.

Keefe has to go. He’s a large hinderance to the team.

There is the interview … just pathetic.

Can’t wait for him to be replaced.

Vancouver just won with a third string goalie and a AHL backup.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
I've never understood this line of thinking. MLSE essentially doesn't pay any player salaries in the playoffs, so any home playoff games are a massive contribution to profits. They very much have a financial motivation for deep playoff runs and cups.

Because the Leafs are just a drop in the bucket for Rogera & Bell.

Their business isn't running sports teams. Their business is TV, internet, and cell phones, for which they need as much content as they can get. Even if the Leafs were a dynasty, and won every year for the next decade, they STILL wouldn't attract enough viewers to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

It would just mean that one tiny insignificant segment of the two massive media conglomerates that owns it was doing well.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
I was seriously shocked at his body language and tone, the guy has no answers. He's a passenger.

In a way I feel bad for him because he got neutered a while back when he tried to hold these guys accountable.. they seem incapable of stepping up and they make so many hockey 101 mistakes that it is difficult to know how much of this is coaching and how much of it is the spoiled and entitled players.

It is clear though that he is either no good or no longer being heard (or both) and it is time for a change either way.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You think Kessel won his Cups because of coaching?

In Vegas he didn't even play a minute in the playoffs and he received a ring.

Coaching is 10-15% of the game. Their primary contribution is player selection and ice time. In the end, if players can't win their matchups, that's on them.

It seems everyone wants us to believe that somehow Mitch will become a Mark Messier come playoffs if only he had the right coach...

This is more insulting than it is comedy. How many coaches have won multiple Cups and are then fired? Including in Pittsburgh?

Did they just forget how to coach?
Yes as da great Scotty Bowman used to preach building a hockey team is 80% recruiting da right players and 20% coaching them in what you want them to do .. folks here don't want to admit it but we have good regular season players but terrible playoff players .. playoffs are all about speed and toughness in battle .. we got very little of both in our core 4 .. regular season is all about skill and we got plenty of that in our core 4 .. it is very hard to find da right players who can excel in both types of environments

Reactions: Leafsfan74

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was seriously shocked at his body language and tone, the guy has no answers. He's a passenger.
Keefe knows deep down that this is likely his last kick at the can. He also has the contract extension to fall back on and a job waiting for him in Pittsburgh. I believe he's trying to win, but I don't think he'll be devastated if things don't work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad