Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber Named to the Hockey Hall of Fame (MOD warning #66)

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Very well deserved. IMO, he was robbed of two Norris trophies but nevertheless, everyone knows how great he was and here’s the proof. Congrats

Shea produced more offence and was much better defensively. It’s pretty cut and dry for me as to who was the better all around player
Arguably one of best leaders to play the game. Up there with Messier, Beliveau, etc... We never got to see many good years because played him on broken foot. Shows Importance of good medical staff. If Habs don't do that always wondering a health Weber and the '21 Cup?? He was among our best players playing on one leg. Plus a healthy Weber what his trade value would been during our rebuild. Sped it up couple of years.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Arguably one of best leaders to play the game. Up there with Messier, Beliveau, etc... We never got to see many good years because played him on broken foot. Shows Importance of good medical staff. If Habs don't do that always wondering a health Weber and the '21 Cup?? He was among our best players playing on one leg. Plus a healthy Weber what his trade value would been during our rebuild. Sped it up couple of years.

I dunno, I think had the Islanders beaten Tampa we probably win but Tampa has had our number since we sept them in 2014 lol.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I dunno, I think had the Islanders beaten Tampa we probably win but Tampa has had our number since we sept them in 2014 lol.
Isles get by Tampa without Kucherov. I think we stood good chance against Isles.

That is something should be closed next CBA. They cheating other teams who are playing by the rules. Not much difference than players using PEDs.

Reactions: David Suzuki

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Shea Weber was a very obvious 1st ballot player, considering his crop.

Carey Price, while a better player than Weber, is likelier to miss on first ballot. By likelier, it's probably a thing of 5% vs. 1%. I'm pretty sure Getzlaf is the one who gets to wait a year.

There's no way Weber would've made the HHOF in 2025 had he played 5 games in 21-22 like Price did.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
He was a good player but a hall of famer??? The standards have been getting lower and lower over the years. A hall of famer is a gretzky, lemieux..........the greats not the good.
Are you new to hockey?

Shea Weber was a very obvious 1st ballot player, considering his crop.

Carey Price, while a better player than Weber, is likelier to miss on first ballot. By likelier, it's probably a thing of 5% vs. 1%. I'm pretty sure Getzlaf is the one who gets to wait a year.

There's no way Weber would've made the HHOF in 2025 had he played 5 games in 21-22 like Price did.
Carey will be 100% first ballot, I'd bet everything I own on it.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That Weber zoom call was a very interesting listen. Talking about how much pain he was really in during the final 1.5 years of his NHL career and during that finals run, the amount of meds he was taking (which he wouldn't get into) and said there were days he could barely get out of bed.

Also said the year after he stopped playing he said he wasn't in a good place both mentally and physically and didn't want to talk to anyone including his own family and pretty much just wanted to be left alone.

Well worth a listen if you can find it somewhere later.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Weber was really at on another level. Especially his career in Nashville where he became one of the best Ds of his generation. Well deserved.

He was great for us as well but it's cause he was what was needed for us at the time. But I feel like his best days were in Nashville.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Damphousse 1205 points in over 1300 games. Tkachuk over 500 goals. Lemieux with I think 2 Conn Smyth trophies. Claude Provost arguably the best defensive forward of his era and was on 9 Cup winning teams. These guys deserve it.

It doesn't mean because some guys should be there that he should not be.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
It's erratic and I would argue unfair. How does Pierre Turgeon make it over Vincent Damphousse for example?

Because of where they "peaked" as a player.

Turgeon still had to wait for over 10 years (would have been first ballot with a single cup win).

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Weber had hardest shot in our history. If not NHL. But it was dangerous. Did a lot of damage. Broke Gallagher's wrist twice. That was prime Gallagher. The 33 goal version. Not the broken up one you seen last 4 years

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Probably not the nicest thing to say in this thread but i'm going to be honest.

Shea Weber for me, has always been one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean he sucked...just means he was rated too highly. I never saw what everyone saw and when he became a Habs, he confirmed everything I ever thought about him.

Granted, he became a Montreal Canadiens player in the latter part of his career.

Again, don't get me wrong...very good player, at his peak, probably one of the best Dmen in the NHL but I don't think that peak was long enough.

But he was big, tough, had a big shot and was Canadian...so rah rah rah.

Congratulations to him though, his peers clearly thought differently than I lol so good for him.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal

Shea Weber for me, has always been one of the most overrated players of his generation.

Overrated doesn't mean he sucked...just means he was rated too highly. I never saw what everyone saw and when he became a Habs, he confirmed everything I ever thought about him.

Granted, he became a Montreal Canadiens player in the latter part of his career.

Again, don't get me wrong...very good player, at his peak, probably one of the best Dmen in the NHL but I don't think that peak was long enough.

Congratulations to him though, his peers clearly thought differently than I lol so good for him.
I will say, the performance that got Weber in the HoF was not the performance we saw with the habs.

He was great in Nashville though. I compare him to Price a little bit. Nothing Price did was flashy, but it's because he was so efficient in his movements and was a step ahead in the play. Nashville Weber was the same thing. Basically, you could not get passed him one-on-one when trying to rush on his side. You had to dump in the puck, at which point he'd crush you in the corner. His gap control and position was insane. I can see how forwards found him so frustrating to play against.

The Weber the habs got was still good, but not anything close to HoF good. Outside the fluke cup run, the most memorable Weber moments were him breaking Gallagher's hands twice. Thankfully he finished his career on that run because his time with the habs would have been so forgettable.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I will say, the performance that got Weber in the HoF was not the performance we saw with the habs.

He was great in Nashville though. I compare him to Price a little bit. Nothing Price did was flashy, but it's because he was so efficient in his movements and was a step ahead in the play. Nashville Weber was the same thing. Basically, you could not get passed him one-on-one when trying to rush on his side. You had to dump in the puck, at which point he'd crush you in the corner. His gap control and position was insane. I can see how forwards found him so frustrating to play against.

The Weber the habs got was still good, but not anything close to HoF good. Outside the fluke cup run, the most memorable Weber moments were him breaking Gallagher's hands twice. Thankfully he finished his career on that run because his time with the habs would have been so forgettable.
Yeah totally understand...like I said, I thought he was a very good Dman at his peak. But I've never thought, not even for a single season, that he was the best Dman in the NHL.

Carey Price, had seasons where he was unquestionably the best goaltender in the NHL, even on very mediocre teams it was obvious.

I understand Shea Weber being inducted to the HOF...I just didn't think it would be first ballot kind of thing.

Reactions: Andy

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

The Weber that was with the Habs was a nothing like the Weber thst was with Nashville though. 2010-2014 Weber was a truly dominant player only bested by Lidstrom, Keith, Karlsson and Subban.

When he came with the Habs he was already we'll beyond slowed down and he was still pretty clearly a top 10 D up until 2019. His longevity was pretty great along with his peak, nothing overrated about him. In fact, he was clearly underrated in his prime losing the Norris to Karlsson and Lidstrom. Chara was more overrated in his prime, he always was a slightly worse version of Weber yet was always rated higher, even if he wasn't canadian rahrahrah.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The Weber that was with the Habs was a nothing like the Weber thst was with Nashville though. 2010-2014 Weber was a truly dominant player only bested by Lidstrom, Keith, Karlsson and Subban.
I understand that, I knew he was on the back nine of his career when he landed with the Habs.
When he came with the Habs he was already we'll beyond slowed down and he was still pretty clearly a top 10 D up until 2019. His longevity was pretty great along with his peak, nothing overrated about him. In fact, he was clearly underrated in his prime losing the Norris to Karlsson and Lidstrom. Chara was more overrated in his prime, he always was a slightly worse version of Weber yet was always rated higher, even if he wasn't Canadian rahrahrah.
Debatable.

I'd rank all of the Dmen you named above him, I even think Ryan Suter has had a better career than he has.

I've got no problem with him being a HOF...but when I think "first ballot HOF", you have to have been recognized as a dominant player at your position for a stretch of time.

He wasn't for me, but I digress.

Reactions: Andy and Chr1s97

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax

Fair enough if you never rated him as highly all along, but he was pretty far from his peak by the time we got him. 16-17 was the only season that really came close to what he used to be and that was still a step below. With us he was just a pretty generic #2D with a big shot and some nebulous leadership aura stuff and that's certainly not a first ballot player.

In his prime though he was just a complete monster. One of the most dominant physical players ever and used his physical game to suffocate any attempts to cycle. He was much quicker back then too so it's not like you could beat him off the rush either. He'd let forecheckers get to the puck for a split second before vaporizing them into the wall. Just one of those rare true #1s that could be relied on in every situation with no weaknesses, he would have been a first ballot HHOF talent even without the goal scoring but he was also an elite shooter and regularly scored 15-20G a year right up to the end of his career. First team all-star twice, and his international stuff gets diminished because of Team Canada but I'd say he's a big part of why those teams were so stacked. IMO he was robbed of two Norrises because of pointzzz and Lidstrom getting an undeserved lifetime achievement Norris for some reason as well.

Reactions: Chili and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Fair enough if you never rated him as highly all along, but he was pretty far from his peak by the time we got him. 16-17 was the only season that really came close to what he used to be and that was still a step below. With us he was just a pretty generic #2D with a big shot and some nebulous leadership aura stuff and that's certainly not a first ballot player.

In his prime though he was just a complete monster. One of the most dominant physical players ever and used his physical game to suffocate any attempts to cycle. He was much quicker back then too so it's not like you could beat him off the rush either. He'd let forecheckers get to the puck for a split second before vaporizing them into the wall. Just one of those rare true #1s that could be relied on in every situation with no weaknesses, he would have been a first ballot HHOF talent even without the goal scoring but he was also an elite shooter and regularly scored 15-20G a year right up to the end of his career. First team all-star twice, and his international stuff gets diminished because of Team Canada but I'd say he's a big part of why those teams were so stacked. IMO he was robbed of two Norrises because of pointzzz and Lidstrom getting an undeserved lifetime achievement Norris for some reason as well.
Yes, I certainly remember that time period, i'd say from about 2008 to about 2013, he was a top 5 Dman in the NHL. Surely.

But never clearly above anyone in that top 5 either.

So short peak period and a lack of one/two/three outstanding seasons, for me, doesn't scream first ballot HOFer.

But that doesn't really matter, all that matters is what his peers thought of him and I understand his reputation/intangibles are probably more valuable than i'm giving him credit for.

Just real talk, I can't lie...just never did it for me. Thought a lot of it was "Canadiana" at play.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I understand that, I knew he was on the back nine of his career when he landed with the Habs.

Debatable.

I'd rank all of the Dmen you named above him, I even think Ryan Suter has had a better career than he has.

I've got no problem with him being a HOF...but when I think "first ballot HOF", you have to have been recognized as a dominant player at your position for a stretch of time.

He wasn't for me, but I digress.
He was and it's absolutely ridiculous that you think Suter had a better career. At best you're being a contrarian. Explain why you think Suter had a better career?

I mean both played on the same pair and it was pretty evident who was the better of the two, no Markov/Subban greyzone.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He was and it's absolutely ridiculous that you think Suter had a better career. At best you're being a contrarian. Explain why you think Suter had a better career?
There's nothing ridiculous about it...he's also likely headed to the HOF.

I don't know why that's so outlandish to you...but also not surprising, you think everyone who doesn't agree with you should is ridiculous or just trying to be a contrarian.
I mean both played on the same pair and it was pretty evident who was the better of the two, no Markov/Subban greyzone.
I said better CAREER...meaning, from start to finish, I think Suter has been better.

His peak wasn't as high as Weber, but he was consistently better throughout the length of his career and contrary to Weber, I think he's been one of the more underrated players of that same generation.

Also...there was No Subban/Markov grey zone IMO.

Reactions: Andy

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Yes, I certainly remember that time period, i'd say from about 2008 to about 2013, he was a top 5 Dman in the NHL. Surely.

But never clearly above anyone in that top 5 either.

So short peak period and a lack of one/two/three outstanding seasons, for me, doesn't scream first ballot HOFer.

But that doesn't really matter, all that matters is what his peers thought of him and I understand his reputation/intangibles are probably more valuable than i'm giving him credit for.

Just real talk, I can't lie...just never did it for me. Thought a lot of it was "Canadiana" at play.
Nashville fan here, I think Weber was pretty clearly above Keith when he won the Norris in '13. Nashville missed the playoffs by two points though so he didn't get as many votes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad