Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I mentioned this in the pre-draft thread but over the next week or so I plan on ending this thread nad starting a fresh XXI/21st iteration so that we can have some better front-end material about the prospect pool and also not have this thing be a daunting nearly 5k posts long. So you might want to consider that if you have any plans on adding any lengthy or significant material to this thread around the draft.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Bizarre. I get that his upside isn't as high but Edstrom is probably our biggest lock to have a long NHL career after Celebrini, Smith and Dickinson.
I can see ranking him below Bystedt because Filip's been over here briefly and got his taste of the AHL already, but yeah, I like Edstrom and agree that he looks like he's got a very good shot to have a long career, probably as a bottom six center (which can still be very valuable).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Mildly interesting/significantly dorky tease for some of the prospect thread redesign material I'm working on:

The average Sharks prospect is just about 21 years old, stands 6 feet and 1 1/2 inches tall, and weighs almost 191 pounds. They would probably be Canadian, played amateur in the WHL or OHL, and would've been drafted around 2022 somewhere in range of the 104th pick.

In other words, your closest-to-the-average Sharks prospect is Ganon Laroque (6'2, 201, a month and a half from his 21st birthday, from Alberta and the WHL where he was selected 103rd overall in 2021)

This is mostly from me just eyeballing it on those values because I have better things to do than do super deep data/fit analysis.

If you broke the prospect pool down by position (LW, C, RW, LD, RD, G) to rank them:
1) By average height (high-> low) it's: G, LW, LD, RD, C, RW
2) By average weight (high-> low) it's: LW, LD, RD, RW, G, C
3) By age (oldest to youngest) it's: G, RW, C, LD, LW, RD

This is somewhat skewed by the fact that only 3 players are listed as LWs (Afanasyev, Chernyshov, and Musty)

Your "most average" starting lineup by height/weight/age combo would be:

Quentin Musty - Cam Lund - Collin Graf
Jake Furlong - Ganon Laroque
Christian Kirsch

Tim Burke can also rest easy because more American Shark prospects come from Massachusetts than any other state, and Mass kids are the second largest state/province group among North Americans behind only Canadians from Ontario.

I will have a lot more where this came from when I get around to making the new prospect thread. Hopefully in a week or two depending on how much spare time I have to tinker with it after this weekend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad