Confirmed with Link: Sharks claim Goodrow from NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
The fact that Goodrow would probably have preferred passing through waivers instead of just coming to SJ for 10 million bucks says all you need to know about just how desirable SJ is gonna be when free agency opens. Barclay Goodrow doesn't even wanna be here!

Sharks should just skip free agency and work out deals with every team looking to "trade" a cap dump. Probably get better pieces this way.
These guys have to make a list. No one here knows if he’s okay coming here or not. He knows Grier well. Weight too. He might be eager to be here with the new kids. We don’t know. He’s never been quoted as not wanting to be here.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
These guys have to make a list. No one here knows if he’s okay coming here or not. He knows Grier well. Weight too. He might be eager to be here with the new kids. We don’t know. He’s never been quoted as not wanting to be here.
Is that your counter or do you actually believe that?

Do you think, after putting San Jose on his NT list prior to last season, and watching them proceed to get outscored by 160 goals, he's suddenly gonna have a complete 180 so he can play 4th line minutes on the worst team in hockey? Do you legit think Drury didn't already have feelers out about whether or not Barclay would even wave considering the sketchiness of what they did?

• Haha
Reactions: DG93

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
The fact that Goodrow would probably have preferred passing through waivers instead of just coming to SJ for 10 million bucks says all you need to know about just how desirable SJ is gonna be when free agency opens. Barclay Goodrow doesn't even wanna be here!

Sharks should just skip free agency and work out deals with every team looking to "trade" a cap dump. Probably get better pieces this way.
I agree - I think there will be options better than Goodrow to be had.

I disagree with the sentiment that it will be impossible for the sharks to sign anyone in FA. 95% of athletes take the biggest paycheck. Signing guys to bad contracts is a different debate but the ducks/blackhawks were able to sign guys last off-season. Every bad team lands guys by offering the most money.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Players talk to each other, especially before making decisions, and while the allure of playing with 18 year old prospects is appealing, they're still just 18 (or 19), and I'm sure even the most professional sharks would readily admit how difficult and demoralizing it was to play out the season. Why would anyone with options choose San Jose?
Well the best undrafted free agent in a couple years chose to come here with over 20 teams trying to sign him. Maybe it's not as big of a disaster as you think?

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Is that your counter or do you actually believe that?

Do you think, after putting San Jose on his NT list prior to last season, and watching them proceed to get outscored by 160 goals, he's suddenly gonna have a complete 180 so he can play 4th line minutes on the worst team in hockey? Do you legit think Drury didn't already have feelers out about whether or not Barclay would even wave considering the sketchiness of what they did?
Those are the things I know. I can’t speak to how Goodrow or Drury think.
What I can say is that Barclay was put on waivers and he wasn’t happy about that being the first he heard. I’ve yet to see any report that he doesn’t want to be here. I can claim he wants to be here but that isn’t fact. I stated he knows Grier and Weight. Those are true. I did have the thought that he may like being here to help the kids. That’s just my hope.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Well the best undrafted free agent in a couple years chose to come here with over 20 teams trying to sign him. Maybe it's not as big of a disaster as you think?
Who, Graf?? Dude wanted an opportunity to play. That's exactly who we're gonna end up getting in FA - guys just looking for an opportunity. More Zadinas I guess.

Those are the things I know. I can’t speak to how Goodrow or Drury think.
What I can say is that Barclay was put on waivers and he wasn’t happy about that being the first he heard. I’ve yet to see any report that he doesn’t want to be here. I can claim he wants to be here but that isn’t fact. I stated he knows Grier and Weight. Those are true. I did have the thought that he may like being here to help the kids. That’s just my hope.
Then either Drury messed up by not asking him to waive or he knew he wouldn't and found a loophole which only reiterates Barclay's reluctance to play in SJ.

Drury doesn't strike me as someone who would be that stupid to do the former (IMO).

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Why does claiming Goodrow make the Sharks better?
He is better than Zadina, Bordeleau, Kostin?, Bailey, G Smith, Carpenter and any of the internal options the Sharks have. He is a professional and established NHL player which is something that cannot be said for half of last years Sharks roster.

Almost every team would be happy to have him on their 4th line. The fact that he makes $3.6 million per year is irrelevant because the Sharks will start the season with around $10 million in cap space.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Why does Grier “need” to get value for the cap space.

Everyone needs to wake up.

THE FLAT CAP ERA IS DONE!

Getting first or second round picks to take on cap is just not an option anymore. PLD got moved with no retention and without the Kings having to pay to move him.
I'll always remember this day as the day I learned that a $4 million increase in the salary cap meant that teams no longer had to incentivize other teams to take on their contract mistakes.

Reactions: vortexy and WSS11

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'll always remember this day as the day I learned that a $4 million increase in the salary cap meant that teams no longer had to incentivize other teams to take on their contract mistakes.
Bottom feeders need players and there are plenty of bottom feeders. There's also veeeery few free agents with any value that would consider going to a bottom feeder, and SJ ain't their first choice. Chicago, Utah, Montreal... the Sharks are already in a losing fight for those few FAs.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Who, Graf?? Dude wanted an opportunity to play. That's exactly who we're gonna end up getting in FA - guys just looking for an opportunity. More Zadinas I guess.

Then either Drury messed up by not asking him to waive or he knew he wouldn't and found a loophole which only reiterates Barclay's reluctance to play in SJ.

Drury doesn't strike me as someone who would be that stupid to do the former (IMO).
My thinking is that Drury did a dirty thing. I can’t see where this reiterates anything.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Players talk to each other, especially before making decisions, and while the allure of playing with 18 year old prospects is appealing, they're still just 18 (or 19), and I'm sure even the most professional sharks would readily admit how difficult and demoralizing it was to play out the season. Why would anyone with options choose San Jose?
People will want to play with Celebrini and Smith in about 2-4 years depending on how quickly and how much they improve, but players want to win. The guys we're gonna get are either gonna be the ones with a limited number of chairs to run to when the music stops playing during "Free Agent Musical Chairs" or guys that come via trade and waivers who don't have a say in the matter.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
He is better than Zadina, Bordeleau, Kostin?, Bailey, G Smith, Carpenter and any of the internal options the Sharks have. He is a professional and established NHL player which is something that cannot be said for half of last years Sharks roster.

Almost every team would be happy to have him on their 4th line. The fact that he makes $3.6 million per year is irrelevant because the Sharks will start the season with around $10 million in cap space.
Is he? Both Zadina and Kostin have significantly higher WAR%

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm not convinced that Goodrow is better than any of those (save Smith).
He's a million times better than Bailey. He's probably already our best penalty killer.

People will want to play with Celebrini and Smith in about 2-4 years depending on how quickly and how much they improve, but players want to win. The guys we're gonna get are either gonna be the ones with a limited number of chairs to run to when the music stops playing during "Free Agent Musical Chairs" or guys that come via trade and waivers who don't have a say in the matter.
I agree. Those legit FA are gonna go to Chicago, who also has ample cap space and a better potential superstar.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
The best undrafted free agent sees more of an opportunity to play with the big club instead of toiling in the AHL for a better club because there aren't as many good players he has to climb over for ice time

Reactions: STL Shark

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
My thinking is that Drury did a dirty thing. I can’t see where this reiterates anything.
IF there is a second part of this transaction then it very clearly would have made more sense to just get Barclay to waive and not have the optics look so bad. I think it's fairly obvious Barclay wouldn't have. I don't doubt he'll come here and be a professional, but the optics are bad no matter how you slice it.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
These takes are absolute nonsense. I can't believe i'm reading these galaxy brain opinions.
Yes yes yes this. This is 100% my opinion too.

Grier: “hey let’s make the locker room better!”
Also Grier: *acquires a guy that will be pissed to be here*

Great way to fix the locker room.
Goodrow is a professional athlete who has demonstrated over his entire life that he is a competitor and dissatisfied with status quo. He's been on a playoff team every year of his NHL career except the first year in SJ; he went undrafted and attended multiple camps before getting signed; he demonstrably elevates his game when it matters most.

And despite all of that, you think he's gonna sulk and abandon his entire mantra and personal ethos? Really? Do you also expect Couture to just roll over and quit? Burns to decide fitness doesnt matter? Mackinnon to start housing soda and cookies?
And it’s just made worse that he did the rangers a favor for free for absolutely no reason
Actually I expect this from you. You hate grier and will absolutely avoid reality to put him down. Statements like this indicate you intentionally are putting your head in the sand.

Last edited:

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
First, do we know that's true?

Second, GMs can be stupid or misguided.
As much as I can see him doing a favour because these things do happen in the league, I also agree here I think Grier just actually wanted Goodrow despite him being pretty bad. Not exactly a new pattern.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Reporting coming out today that they never even asked Goodrow to waive.
In that case, Drury probably decided he would rather buy him out or bury him than give up an asset to dump him.

Hard to see Goodrow being mad at the Sharks for picking him up... At least he's wanted here, probably earned him a bunch more millions than he would have if he cleared waivers.

Still an open question whether Goodrow is a better player than we could have gotten in FA and there's an active debate here about whether his cap hit matters or doesn't matter, whether he's overpaid or not in 2 years, but if this report comes out, I think we can probably put to bed the idea that Goodrow is mad at Grier/Sharks.

Reactions: Jargon

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
In that case, Drury probably decided he would rather buy him out or bury him than give up an asset to dump him.

Hard to see Goodrow being mad at the Sharks for picking him up... At least he's wanted here, probably earned him a bunch more millions than he would have if he cleared waivers.

Still an open question whether Goodrow is a better player than we could have gotten in FA and there's an active debate here about whether his cap hit matters or doesn't matter, whether he's overpaid or not in 2 years, but if this report comes out, I think we can probably put to bed the idea that Goodrow is mad at Grier/Sharks.
It's sad that this was clear from the beginning yet people really wanted to shit on Grier instead. Sometimes that stretches people make really make me question why they are making the stretch with Grier specifically....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad