Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
That is simply not true. These aren't simple cavemen that get spooked by on the different side of the ice. The reason why it's a thing is due to coaches wanting to emphasize their defensemen playing defense and having their stick facing the wall is more conducive to that. If a guy is having trouble playing his off side, he probably is having trouble in general.
Its absolutely true. This is something coaches and players speak of regularly.
ive known this since my playing days, but fortunately they did a big article on it recently.

“As a leftie playing the right side, it’s definitely a harder game than having a puck-moving, right-handed guy there,” Theodore said. “There’s a lot that goes into it that people don’t notice. I don’t know if I’ve completely figured it out.”

There’s an ease that comes with defensemen playing their natural side that allows for quicker decision-making. There are more one-timers for the taking, according to multiple defensemen who have played the right side.
The benefits don’t end there.

“As a righty, you always know you’re going to have that safety outlet along the wall,” Winnipeg Jets right-shot defenseman Dylan DeMelo said. “When you’re on your off-side, you have to come across your body with the puck.”
If NHL coaches had their way, they would prefer lining up with left-handed shot defensemen on the left side, and right-handed shot defensemen on the right side.

“When you’re on your off wing sometimes you grab a puck on your backhand and bring it to your forehand at the lower level, you think ‘It’s a split second.’ The only thing you need in the NHL is a split second,” Arizona Coyotes coach Andre Tourigny said. “If you can have the privilege of having three righties and three lefties, that’s pretty good.”

“On (passes between defensemen) in the neutral zone, if you take a good angle, you can limit where they go with the puck or force a quicker play,” Golden Knights coach Bruce Cassidy said. “When the puck is coming around the boards in the offensive zone, you recognize that you can get on top of them a little quicker, so you have to take it backhand to forehand.”

But coaches like Keefe sometimes have to get creative. Enter TJ Brodie, who is both a rare bird in the NHL and also means to an end. He is a left-shot defenseman who can, and has, played right side through the majority of his NHL career. Early on in his junior career with the Saginaw Spirit, he realized the majority of the blue line shot left. So he tried to learn to play right to have that flexibility.
“That’s been the way it’s gone my whole career,” he said.

There was a time when Brodie was considered one of the most stable and reliable defensively-minded right-sided NHL defensemen. But through the first half of this season, the 33-year-old took a noticeable step back. With injuries, suspensions and the emergence of different blueliners, Brodie moved back to the left side. This illustrates how the window for left-shot defensemen to play the right side can be small: It requires players to be at their peak both mentally and physically.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, the smoothness and quickness in Brodie’s game flourished when he went back to his natural side.

That’s because, as many NHL defensemen will tell you in great detail, playing a different side creates differences that inhibit their ability to play the game they want to. Opposition teams can capitalize on defensemen forced to play their weak side, which only increases the demand for players like Lyubushkin and Tanev.

“You’re always on your blind side,” left-shot Leafs defenseman Simon Benoit said of playing the right side, which he has done in the AHL and NHL. “When you’re on your strong side and you get the puck on (your) forehand, you see the play right away. But on the right side, you have to turn all the way around.”

“It’s hard to shoulder check,” Theodore said of playing the right side. “A lot of times when you get the puck, you’re forced to make plays on your backhand. Whereas if you’re a righty, it’s a simple forehand pass to get to the center. Under pressure when you default to the boards, you’re going to have to backhand to get it off the glass because sometimes you don’t have the angles.”

“In the neutral zone you’re on your backhand so it’s a lot harder to go across the ice with the puck,” Brodie said. “The positive is when you’re going back for pucks on your forehand and then going defense to defense.”

“On defensive faceoffs, if you’re a lefty playing your off-side, if your partner bumps it to you behind the net, you’re on your backhand automatically,” Giordano said, listing out reasons, coincidentally, on his left hand. “And in the offensive zone, it’s a lot easier to rip the puck across the blue line left to right than it is to rip to a guy on his backhand.”
And to the Hensler/Schaefer debate, I was/am a big Hensler guy but his development this past season was lacking behind Schaefer. I have no issue with the Sharks taking Hensler but right now, not over Schaefer simply because of handedness. That is silly. There is still plenty of time for things to change.

As I conceded later in my post, yes it becomes a factor when the talent is close enough. It's not like Yak or Parekh are scrubs. I still think Yak has a higher ceiling than most of the consensus top 6 but also a higher bust potential.
Agreed. plenty of time to revisit closer to draft day

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Here’s a link to an article that highlights that d pairs which have one player playing on his off-side tends to suffer from a Corsi perspective, hence why there is so much emphasis across the league on defensemen being positioned based on handedness. The article is a bit dated, but it highlights that transitional play - which is increasingly being emphasized in the NHL - is the aspect of the game most adversely impacted by playing one’s off-side.

Being right-handed isn’t a tie-breaker when drafting defensemen but a primary criterion being considered by NHL teams.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Actually it would sting extremely hard giving up a 2nd overall pick.
At this point it is a sunk cost. I would argue it is one of the best possible outcomes. Who cares that it helps make a trade look better for Nashville it would guarantee the Sharks have #1 overall.

I’ll put it this way. If I was able to guarantee the Sharks traded #2 I would absolutely take it. It would mean 2 things. First Sharks are guaranteed 1st overall and second Vegas had a bad season.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
At this point it is a sunk cost. I would argue it is one of the best possible outcomes. Who cares that it helps make a trade look better for Nashville it would guarantee the Sharks have #1 overall.

I’ll put it this way. If I was able to guarantee the Sharks traded #2 I would absolutely take it. It would mean 2 things. First Sharks are guaranteed 1st overall and second Vegas had a bad season.
And hey, either way it's not like Vegas would have that #2 pick! 😂

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Ah that might be where the disconnect is there then too. Because I think Edstrom has second line potential. So I think Edstrom has higher potential than most here and Askarov has lower.

Holy hyperbole Batman. I’ve read most posts in this thread and not a single person has said this. You give other people shit for making up stories in here yet you just did the same. And you’re going to use the “I said ALMOST IF” excuse to say you didn’t say it.
Fair. There are far less askarov doomsayers than those who’re convinced Vegas is suddenly gonna be a bottom 5 team.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
It's absolutely true. This is something coaches and players speak of regularly.
ive known this since my playing days, but fortunately they did a big article on it recently.

I've read that article before and, as I mentioned previous (but not elaborate fully), there is an ease and efficiency to playing on the side of the ice as your handrdness but it's is not a requirement. As stated in the article, plenty of guys do it and quite often, which is my argument here. Right now, the Sharks need the best guy, not the right handed guy or whatever. Just get the guy you think is the best one.

So the wish for this season is vegas bottoms out and wins the lottery and the sharks shock everyone and wins the cup.

Get the 1st overall pick and a ring in the same season.

I like the way you think.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Askarov is a good target to have a goalie develop into a needed spot when the young forwards might hit their peak. The price isn't my cup of tea just because I don't like investing 1st round picks into goalies for the most part but none of that matters if Grier is correct on the target. I like where the team is looking at in pretty much every position except for RHD. The blue line is the place I feel will take the longest to address and be what will or won't make us competitive.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Askarov is a good target to have a goalie develop into a needed spot when the young forwards might hit their peak. The price isn't my cup of tea just because I don't like investing 1st round picks into goalies for the most part but none of that matters if Grier is correct on the target. I like where the team is looking at in pretty much every position except for RHD. The blue line is the place I feel will take the longest to address and be what will or won't make us competitive.
I feel the same way about investing first round picks in goalies, but I have a feeling many of us would generally feel a lot better about doing so if the investments were always on 22-year-olds and not 18-year-olds. I certainly do in this case.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I feel the same way about investing first round picks in goalies, but I have a feeling many of us would generally feel a lot better about doing so if the investments were always on 22-year-olds and not 18-year-olds. I certainly do in this case.
It's a better risk to take given their position as a rebuilding club.

Reactions: ChompChomp

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No round for goalies is assured. In the cap era, I believe it's been 18 goalies in 20 drafts go round 1.
*Edit* 5 additional names, (Rask, Bernier, Helenius, Pickard, McCollum)
Elite - Price, Vasi, Rask
Good - Oettinger, Varlamnov
Meh - Bernier, Samsonov, Campbell
Bust - Irving, Helenius, Pickard, McCollum, Visitein, Subban
Unknowns - Knight (personal issues)
Developing - Askarov, Cossa, Wallstedt

05-09 drafts - 8 goalies
10-24 drafts - 10 goalies

Any round probably the same type of outcome or goes down. Be it round 2 or round 5. You have pretty much draft a goalie 3 out of every 5 years to hope you find someone who can develop into a good starter and they shouldn't all be in round 7. When you don't have one, you need to pay the higher price, vs when you have one and you can just take a flyer on a guy in rounds 4 onwards.

Last edited:

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This is a good point. He's got a 2 year track record in the AHL, so it's not quite the same risk as taking an 18 year old goalie in the first round.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
This is a good trade for Nashville.

Could also be a good trade for the Sharks if Askarov hits his ceiling and is a Vezina contender for many years with a few Conn Smythe trophies.

If Askarov is just a regular starter, it depends on where the 1st pick lands.

If Askarov is a NHL backup, it sucks.
It is a good trade for the Sharks even if Askarov never win a single Vezina or a Conn Smythe. If the Sharks win 3 Stanley cups with Askarov in goal. I say this is a very good trade.

Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Also look at that swarthy-ass mustache. I'll bet he has some strong opinions about your favorite bands.

6371.vresize.350.350.medium.43.png
Sharks acquire franchise cornerstone to their barbershop quartet.

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
Here’s a link to an article that highlights that d pairs which have one player playing on his off-side tends to suffer from a Corsi perspective, hence why there is so much emphasis across the league on defensemen being positioned based on handedness. The article is a bit dated, but it highlights that transitional play - which is increasingly being emphasized in the NHL - is the aspect of the game most adversely impacted by playing one’s off-side.

Being right-handed isn’t a tie-breaker when drafting defensemen but a primary criterion being considered by NHL teams.

Great article and on the money

Jul 10, 2010
How do you reconcile the comment with the ordering of the d-men taken in the top 13 of this year’s draft? They went RHD, RHD, RHD, LHD, LHD, LHD. Other than Levshunov (2 OA) they went significantly out of order relative to consensus, with handedness being the most obvious criterion one could point to regarding draft order.
Honestly, i think it just came down to preference. Parekh was the best pure PMD in the class and i think that was known, just had a riskier defensive profile. Yak has alot of the "projectable characters". I think he was taken way to high but it only takes one team to fall in love.

Im not arguing for playing guys on their off side. Im arguing you take the best player available and figure it out. If we get Schaefer to go along with Dickinson and Muk, you have your 3 LD set and then you fill them in with lesser RHD or worst case scenario you move Muk and something for a similar RHD. I think the original discussion was how close is Hensler to Schaefer and IMO Schaefer is far and away a better pick.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
You have to also ask, if Grier doesn't make this move and say Nash sends Askarov elsewhere, what do the Sharks have in net that they can feel confident in? If they believed in one of their current NHL/AHL roster goalies, like Blackwood/Romanov (28/25 this year), then they wouldn't need to make this move. Continue to draft goalies and hope one develops.
They just took Kirsch this past draft in round 4 from Switzerland and Korostelyov in round 7. Beaupit from rd 4 in 2022 (but he left the WHL to play in the BCHL the past year). Gaudreau from rd 3 in 2021 returned to the OHL for an overage year last season.

Teams almost always opt for the younger goalie over the older guy when they have to make a decision on one of them. SJ could have used the LV pick (I'm assuming the Knights are a PO team until they show otherwise), to draft a goalie, then the cost would be Edstrom to move up the timeline by 5 years.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Fair. There are far less askarov doomsayers than those who’re convinced Vegas is suddenly gonna be a bottom 5 team.
Last year Vegas had the 11th worst xGF% of any team, lost their leading goalscorer, and will now be relying on Adin Hill to stay healthy for the entire season or they will be in major trouble.

That pick could easily be top 10.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Even if the Vegas pick is top 10 we traded it for a highly touted goalie prospect who was himself drafted 11th overall and had 4 extra years of development in a system known for pumping out quality NHL starters, not to mention the lottery protections Mike built into the trade to prevent us from drafting later than Nashville in the top 10

This is a risky trade, but a smart bet and has the potential to pay off huge for the Sharks for years to come

This is Mike's ballsiest move since the Hertl trade, funny since it's basically an extention of that deal into a 3-way with Nashville, and I'm only getting more and more confident in him as a GM as time passes, the plan is really rounding into form before our very eyes

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
You have to also ask, if Grier doesn't make this move and say Nash sends Askarov elsewhere, what do the Sharks have in net that they can feel confident in? If they believed in one of their current NHL/AHL roster goalies, like Blackwood/Romanov (28/25 this year), then they wouldn't need to make this move. Continue to draft goalies and hope one develops.
They just took Kirsch this past draft in round 4 from Switzerland and Korostelyov in round 7. Beaupit from rd 4 in 2022 (but he left the WHL to play in the BCHL the past year). Gaudreau from rd 3 in 2021 returned to the OHL for an overage year last season.

Teams almost always opt for the younger goalie over the older guy when they have to make a decision on one of them. SJ could have used the LV pick (I'm assuming the Knights are a PO team until they show otherwise), to draft a goalie, then the cost would be Edstrom to move up the timeline by 5 years.
I agreed. Also wanted to add that the timeline to develop a goalie is approx. 5-6 years from draft day to NHL if they ever get to that level and not every NHL draft has good goalies prospects. You can potentially get a good forward in every NHL draft but goalies are slim picking.

Vanecek is still nursing a lower body injury that prevent him from moving latterly comfortably. So there is a chance Askarov will play back up to Blackwood at the first few games of the season.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Even if the Vegas pick is top 10 we traded it for a highly touted goalie prospect who was himself drafted 11th overall and had 4 extra years of development in a system known for pumping out quality NHL starters, not to mention the lottery protections Mike built into the trade to prevent us from drafting later than Nashville in the top 10

This is a risky trade, but a smart bet and has the potential to pay off huge for the Sharks for years to come

This is Mike's ballsiest move since the Hertl trade, funny since it's basically an extention of that deal into a 3-way with Nashville, and I'm only getting more and more confident in him as a GM as time passes, the plan is really rounding into form before our very eyes
That Nashville development system that you regard so highly definitely seems to have felt more than comfortable sending him elsewhere after he was outperformed by multiple goalie prospects drafted later than him.

I agree it isn't too bad if you look at it through the lens of Hertl+3rd for Askarov even if he has underperformed since being drafted.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad