Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Carrying 3 goalies would be a horrible idea. Wherever Askarov is, he needs to be playing regularly.

Both of our current goalies are only signed through this season. If Askarov makes the Sharks out of camp I'd expect one of them, likely Vanacek, to be put on the trade block or waived.

They'd probably get a lot more for Blackwood via trade, so that's an option too.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
He kind of looks like MAF to me. There's a case to be made that a boom-bust goalie gives you a better chance to win the Cup than a consistently average one if the timing works out right.
He looks a lot like MAF movement wise but his positional play looks a lot like Nabby always square always set not a lot of unnecessary movement and shuffling

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Both of our current goalies are only signed through this season. If Askarov makes the Sharks out of camp I'd expect one of them, likely Vanacek, to be put on the trade block or waived.

They'd probably get a lot more for Blackwood via trade, so that's an option too.
That would be a horrendous mistake. Both Blackwood and Vanacek are injury prone and the LAST thing you want to do this year is turn your unrefined prized goalie prospect into the starter.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Posted this on the trade board, but I'd really like to see Askarov getting 25-30 starts in the AHL and 15 in the NHL, along with backing up another 10-20. Gets him some cash, but also gets him 45-50 games. He played 46-49 the last two years, but only 3 in the NHL. Blackwood gets 40 starts, Vanecek gets 25.

In 15 NHL games he might get shelled 3-6 times. Lose 3-5 close ones, win 4-5.

At the same time, Barracuda squad should be pretty damn good, so confidence from that should be high.

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
Been thinking about this, in the hypothetical of Askarov vs. Wallstedt (more steady). I think it's an advantage. At some point you need your goalie to steal a series. Also think we're getting a hint at Grier's vision
  • Invest like crazy in your centers (1st overall, 4th overall; I bet we see another top 15 pick here)
  • Big wingers with some talent in late 1st/early 2nd (Chernyshov, Halt, Musty, Lund)
  • Large defenseman who are excellent skaters (Dickinson>Buium)
  • Hot head goalie with premier talent
Schaefer, Martone, Hensler, or Frondell feel like they'll be at the top of Grier's board. Question is where does he rank the 5'10 Hagens who might end up an elite, but smaller winger.
I really don't think Hagens is the guy the Sharks need. A top 6 with Smith, Celebrini, Eklund, and Hagens just seems too small. I know Eklund and Celebrini have some grit but they aren't going to out muscle everyone. Musty has the height but that isn't really his game either. Zetterlund can add some, but Martone just feels exactly like what is missing at forward.

Munnyro

Jul 15, 2013
Sacramento, CA
Been thinking about this, in the hypothetical of Askarov vs. Wallstedt (more steady). I think it's an advantage. At some point you need your goalie to steal a series. Also think we're getting a hint at Grier's vision
  • Invest like crazy in your centers (1st overall, 4th overall; I bet we see another top 15 pick here)
  • Big wingers with some talent in late 1st/early 2nd (Chernyshov, Halt, Musty, Lund)
  • Large defenseman who are excellent skaters (Dickinson>Buium)
  • Hot head goalie with premier talent
Schaefer, Martone, Hensler, or Frondell feel like they'll be at the top of Grier's board. Question is where does he rank the 5'10 Hagens who might end up an elite, but smaller winger.
I think GMMG is also a quality over quantity guy.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
My only gripe with the trade is that not getting Fabbro or Tomasino instead of Burke since they since they added the 1st.

But adding Fabbro would open up a hole for them and they may not be done with Tomasino just yet. Likely just wasn't an option but I can still lament.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
That would be a horrendous mistake. Both Blackwood and Vanacek are injury prone and the LAST thing you want to do this year is turn your unrefined prized goalie prospect into the starter.

oh no, the top end goalie prospect we just traded a nice package for might actually have to play some f***ing games. the horror.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
I really do love this trade. Essentially reading Hertl and his albatross of a contract for potentially a franchise goalie is a huge win in my books. If he doesn’t pan out and somehow Vegas ends up with a top 5 pick then it looks bad but man, you have to take this chance when it comes up. Franchise goalies are not a dime a dozen.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I don't know that they're "best friends" but I remember some cute Mukhamadullin/Askarov stories around the AHL All-Star game. I always like when young Euro guys have a countryman to hang out with, and I'm really happy we have both guys who have been long-time teammates and friends.
Maybe they'll lure back Afenasyev too :)

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I really don't think Hagens is the guy the Sharks need. A top 6 with Smith, Celebrini, Eklund, and Hagens just seems too small. I know Eklund and Celebrini have some grit but they aren't going to out muscle everyone. Musty has the height but that isn't really his game either. Zetterlund can add some, but Martone just feels exactly like what is missing at forward.

If he's the premier talent, I'd be quite tempted. However, if you have a choice of franchise LHD, franchise power forward, or franchise playmaking wing/center, I'd be fine with either of the other two over Hagens. If he is at another level, I might still be willing to trade down.

I will say Celebrini-Martone would be wild. With Schaefer, an all-situations number one d-man seems even more important. Kind of weird in that our top 3 d-assets would be LHD, but I think that's okay. You can go find John Marino type complimentary guys to play with him and Dickinson. Maybe one of the two, or Muk can slide over to RHD as well.

If we successfully will Dobson into existence and then I'd take Martone. He is exactly what our forward core needs, but Schaefer is exactly what the team needs.

Reactions: vortexy

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Maybe they'll lure back Afenasyev too :)
Hey, they'll help Chernyshov land when he presumably joins the Cuda next season too!

I kinda like how multi-national our future guys are.

Canada: Celebrini, Dickinson, Cagnoni
USA: Smith, Musty, Pohlkamp
Sweden: Eklund, Zetterlund, Bystedt, Sahlin-Wallenius
Russia: Askarov, Mukhamadullin, Cheenyshov

Those are some good hockey nations. It's pretty interesting that other than Finnish Halttunen we don't really have that many guys in the second tier hockey countries.

YUPPY 2 7 10 11

Oct 5, 2020
Nolan Burke is a center. 21 years old. and scored 50 goals in 1 season in the OHL.
Was this guy injured last season? why did he scored only 5 goals? any more info on Burke would be awsome.

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Wow. Picking up Askarov for a pick probably in the 15-20 range, Chrona (who I like but is probably a backup), and Edstrom (Defensive 3C?) is really good. Kudos to Grier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad