Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Yaroslav Askarov (w/extension, 2yr @ $2m per), F Nolan Burke 2025 3rd for Edstrom, VGK 1st, and G Chrona

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
so like, is he going to report to the ahl?
I have no proof of this at all, but I suspect he will. I suspect the trade request was more about Askarov wanting to be in an org that has a clear path to a starting role than him demanding to be in the NHL this season.

I don't even know why he was included in the trade. We need another warm body for the Barricuda?
Wish CapFriendly were still around to confirm, but I bet it's to do with the 50 contracts limit.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't even know why he was included in the trade. We need another warm body for the Barricuda?
Guessing because Nashville will be at 48 contracts once they finish signing their last 2 RFAs. With 3 1sts and a pair of 2nds and being in all in mode, guessing they're keeping room to add to their roster during the season.

Reactions: Star Platinum

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm a little surprised this is Edstrom and the 1st where the condition is only the Sharks choosing which pick if Vegas also bottoms out (basically it seems like it's protection against the Knights bottoming out and winning the lottery and being forced to give up #1.) I would've hoped for something more like the Vegas 1st is top 10 protected and if it does protect the Sharks give up next year's 1st instead.

But otherwise I think I'm OK. Edstrom was interesting but he and Bystedt felt a little samey so sacrificing one isn't the end of the world given the center depth the team has in the pool. They also had to movie a goalie as well to make room, though I question what this means now for Vanacek and Blackwood since I would expect Askarov to want to start or at least heavily platoon and you can't do that if there are two other NHL caliber goalies on the roster. There has to be another move here.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
That is true and a valid comparison. Guess I am just higher on their leadership group with Stone, Petro, and Karlsson than I was about really any of the leadership on the 2019-20 Sharks once Pavelski left (plus then a pair of meh locker room guys in Kane and Karlsson). That and I think they're deeper on defense than basically any Sharks team ever. Still a valid call out though in terms of range of possible outcomes.
What we have to hope as well is that if Vegas is slow out of the gates and at risk of missing the playoffs, their GM will make trades to improve the team in the short term. That's their MO

Reactions: Sandisfan

PeePeeMcGee

Mar 9, 2024
Needed a high end goalie prospect and got it done. From a prospect pool perspective, this has been a solid offseason for Mike Grier

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Seems like a pretty terrible trade for the Sharks.
I'm not a fan. If we could guarantee Askarov goes from #1 goalie prospect in the world to top 5 NHL goalie, sure, yes. However there's a lot of risk there. Huge upside risk, but also huge downside risk, especially considering their willingness to jettison him. We are putting a TON of faith in Miller and Nabby.
I would have rather just given up Musty one for one (if that was possible) but this is fine.

The pick isn't really protected in any meaningful sense. It's basically just hedged against the unlikely scenario Vegas wins the lottery.

Askarov needs to develop into an upper echelon NHL starter or else I don't totally see the upside here but I trust the Sharks scouting.
The protection is absolutely meaningless unless we are all extremely surprised.
We also get a right-catch goalie, I love this weird-ass team
As a former right-catch goalie, I can assure you he will be weird-ass
@Hodge tried to speak an Askarov trade into existence. Askarov just asked for a trade and says he won't report to the AHL. It's as good a candidate as any, and goalie is the last open check box on the off-season checklist.

EDIT: main boards thread has someone predicting Askarov to Sharks for one of Bystedt or Edstrom.

Nashville fans like it. I kind of like it.
As posted in this original post on the roster thread and then a few more, I liked the trade at Bystedt or Edstrom. I don't like the trade sending out the VGK 1st.

This is the first Grier trade that I don't like the risk/payout profile. For this to be a positive outcome, we need to see a top end result from Askarov's development and he's shown some wobbliness in the past 2 years. Huge pedigree but more risk today than I would say 2 years ago in terms of whether he's going to hit his sky-high potential. We need him top 5/top 10 or else I don't like what we gave up.

I think I'm valuing the VGK 1st way higher than others. It's a huge luxury to have a shot at a depth D in the 10-30 slot. Especially in this draft where now that I'm tracking D, there seem to be enough that we'd pick up a great, "better than Mukh" prospect with that pick. Now it's gone.

We ALSO lose Edstrom. So our "pretty good chance of a depth C" pipeline just got weaker.

Yes, of course this trade could be a win, so it's not an F for me. it's a C+. I don't have a good feeling about the risk here. But you have to give it to Grier, dude has MASSIVE stones and it's an exciting time.

nabbyfan

Oct 4, 2007
Santa Clarita, CA
Not sure if this has been answered, but looking for clarification on the Top 10 protection. When does Grier have to decide which pick to keep?

Do we get to see the lottery results and then give NSH the lower pick, or if VGK somehow picks like 9th overall, do we have to give that to NSH before the official lottery, with our own pick likely being top 5. What if that 9th wins the lottery?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Not sure if this has been answered, but looking for clarification on the Top 10 protection. When does Grier have to decide which pick to keep?

Do we get to see the lottery results and then give NSH the lower pick, or if VGK somehow picks like 9th overall, do we have to give that to NSH before the official lottery, with our own pick likely being top 5. What if that 9th wins the lottery?
I think we take the better pick post-lottery.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
The key for Askarov finding his place in the org and in the NHL will hopefully be Evgeni Nabokov, who as mentioned on the SJSN podcast was probably heavily consulted before Mike Grier and team would consider the trade.
Welp, we're screwed then.

Seriously, Nabokov has no track record of success as a goaltending scout or coach.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm not a fan. If we could guarantee Askarov goes from #1 goalie prospect in the world to top 5 NHL goalie, sure, yes. However there's a lot of risk there. Huge upside risk, but also huge downside risk, especially considering their willingness to jettison him. We are putting a TON of faith in Miller and Nabby.
I mean there's a lot of risk involved in any prospect, no? But you've got a greater chance at finding what you need from high pedigree players than going out and signing the Blackwoods or trading for the Devin Cooleys of the world. The best GMs in the world aren't afraid to take their shots.

Reactions: Jargon

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I mean there's a lot of risk involved in any prospect, no? But you've got a greater chance at finding what you need from high pedigree players than going out and signing the Blackwoods or trading for the Devin Cooleys of the world. The best GMs in the world aren't afraid to take their shots.
Some prospects are riskier than others. Given we shipped out the extra VGK 1st, it tips the trade for me from "awesome, worth it" to "holy shit, what a gamble, we'll see how it plays out but I wouldn't have done it for that price"

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Some prospects are riskier than others. Given we shipped out the extra VGK 1st, it tips the trade for me from "awesome, worth it" to "holy shit, what a gamble, we'll see how it plays out but I wouldn't have done it for that price"
Fair. My mindset is unless we get extremely lucky with some random goalie prospect from the mid to late rounds (and we won't even find that out for another few years), I'd rather not continually dump 2-3 picks a season on guys who may never sniff the NHL. I don't want to have a goalie depth chart of Melnichuck, Korenar and Sawchenko again.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

I don't really think the Vegas pick will be that high of a pick, so if it ends up like a #15 pick and Edstrom, I think that's perfectly fine.

But also, Grier wants to turn this team around as fast as possible, that part is clear. He's willing to take a risk on a potential franchise goalie who is available for ultimately not a huge return, I think it's a very worthwhile risk to take. It can always blow up in his face, but for Askarov's potential, it's worth it, imo.

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
Watching highlights he does kinda play like Nabby if he was 6’3”.

Perhaps that also puts nabby in a better position for any coaching he might be doing with Askarov

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
again, Speer and Miller are the goalie coaches now.
I'm well aware, which is why I don't understand why people keep bringing up Nabokov as though he's relevant as anything more than a sinecure.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Also, has Nabokov ever been given a single goaltender with real NHL potential? I don't think you can blame him for not turning scraps into gold.

No, but i think he ruined jones (along with shrinking pads) by having him practice saves by athleticism instead of positional saves, which was his strength.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad