Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire pick 11 for 14+42

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
To Carolina - 11th overall + Ferraro
To San Jose - 4th overall + Something small from CBJ
To Columbus - Necas + 53rd overall
That seems like a 2 teams fleecing CBJ tbh, the 11th is probably more in line with Necas value, but I don't really know shit

Anyway, I think the trade is especially solid when looking at it like 14+42 for 11+53, which is basically what happened

Wonder how far 33+53 could move us up, it would be cool to get Solberg/Emery in the late first, and then ideally get a LHD, RHD and Macky boy for our first round

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
That seems like a 2 teams fleecing CBJ tbh, the 11th is probably more in line with Necas value, but I don't really know shit

Anyway, I think the trade is especially solid when looking at it like 14+42 for 11+53, which is basically what happened

Wonder how far 33+53 could move us up, it would be cool to get Solberg/Emery in the late first, and then ideally get a LHD, RHD and Macky boy for our first round
I used the DeBrincat trade from Chicago to Ottawa as a proxy. Debrincat got 7th, 39th, and 72nd for a total of 52.57. 4th overall is worth 55.24 while 53rd is worth 4.51 (nets down what CBJ is giving up to 50.73).

So Columbus would basically be getting Necas for just a tick less than what Ottawa paid for DeBrincat. I don't know that the value is too far off there after putting numbers to it.

Not expecting it to happen, but I don't think value is too crazy from the Columbus side. The issue would be that this deal would assume that Ferraro is worth around the 20th overall pick in terms of value to Carolina, which I think is maybe a touch rich.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
This was such a ridiculously good trade for us. At 14 we would have been selecting between Helenius, MBN, Eiserman, Solberg...

Instead we got Sam f***ing Dickinson.
As a Solberg Stan, who thinks he will be annoying to play against for a long time...

I 100% agree. Insane Grier W. Just totally mind blowing from Buffalo, Philly.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
As a Solberg Stan, who thinks he will be annoying to play against for a long time...

I 100% agree. Insane Grier W. Just totally mind blowing from Buffalo, Philly.
I find it hilarious how on the broadcast they said Buffalo tried to trade down again from 14 and no takers...yep, would have been the predictable choice of Jiricek, MBN, Helenius, and Eiserman if the Sharks stayed there while watching Buium and Dickinson drop out of the top-10. Great f***ing work Mike!

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Crazy! I think it's a clear indication they really want someone and will take them at 11.

See, this is why you make this trade in advance. Do you think Buffalo is trading down if they know Dickinson and Buium are available? I’m not so sure.

They knew who they wanted (maybe more than one person) and their intel had at least one of those being available at 11 so they pulled the trigger. I 100% agree that Buffalo probably doesn't make the trade at the draft watching top dmen fall to 11.

Or if they do, they end up demanding more than what the Sharks ultimately paid for 11. Like maybe 14+33, take it or leave it. And either Grier pays that price and we complain or he doesn't and we don't get a Dickinson/Buium, and we complain.

I love us all NOT complaining about this pick! :D

Reactions: Sandisfan

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This was such a ridiculously good trade for us. At 14 we would have been selecting between Helenius, MBN, Eiserman, Solberg...

Now that it's happened, I'm kinda curious if people were really as high on Solberg as they claimed to be, or whether that was just cope because nobody really thought we'd be able to get one of the top guys. Not looking to bust any balls, but it just felt like too fast a rise to me. I'm sure he'll be a solid pro.

Reactions: STL Shark and DG93

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
See, this is why you make this trade in advance. Do you think Buffalo is trading down if they know Dickinson and Buium are available? I’m not so sure.
I don't know. Buffalo is in a lot different place than we are. I would suspect they knew as much about who was likely to be there as Grier did and for them, the extra pick was more valuable. I'd have been elated to get Helenius at 14 if we'd stayed put, but I much prefer trading up and getting Dickinson.

NiWa

Nov 27, 2003
Ireland
Now that it's happened, I'm kinda curious if people were really as high on Solberg as they claimed to be, or whether that was just cope because nobody really thought we'd be able to get one of the top guys. Not looking to bust any balls, but it just felt like too fast a rise to me. I'm sure he'll be a solid pro.
I still think Solberg is going to be a fantastic player. He's just a rare package with that elite physicality on top.

But Dickinson with his skating will play major minutes in all situations, except maybe PP1. Picking Ds that are reliable on both sides of the ice gets much harder outside the top 15. You are usually picking guys then that excel on either O or D.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
I don't know. Buffalo is in a lot different place than we are. I would suspect they knew as much about who was likely to be there as Grier did and for them, the extra pick was more valuable. I'd have been elated to get Helenius at 14 if we'd stayed put, but I much prefer trading up and getting Dickinson.
My thoughts exactly. Helenius at 14 seems like a great pick (should have gone at 13th IMHO) but I take Dickinson all day, every day over him! Screw the 2nd rounder we gave up, hah.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I was cautiously optimistic about this trade at first, but now I'm ecstatic. Well done Grier.

Hodge is happy! I'm happy too. Is anyone here unhappy? We all seem on the same page with this.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Already on record saying that while I'm still a Solberg fan and think he'll end up as top 15 value (with my crystal ball here), I'm ecstatic we got Dickinson. I'm even happy with Dickinson despite having Buium higher in my mind.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I still think Solberg would have been a great pick at #14 and I'm kind of pissed the Ducks got him. He could be a problem.

Me rationalizing Eiserman when I thought he'd be the guy was pure cope though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad