Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Jake Walman and 2nd round pick 2024 (#53) for future considerations

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
What a childish response.

They’re not my precious models, they’re a tool for evaluation.

Here are several models with differing evaluations of him as a player. I didn't find one that said he was one of the worst players in the NHL last year.

I don't need to accept your opinion as fact, or find the validity in it, because when asked, you make no effort to provide any support for it. Once again, an appeal to authority requires supporting evidence. Repeating yourself incessantly does not count as proof, and neither does sarcasm or petty insults. If you try to support your position, people will take you seriously, but you're not giving anyone a reason to.

Do you know how to read your own charts? Here, I made it easier for you:

GQ8QuLRWIAAPVPY.jpeg

The part in the red circle is what shows Walman was one of the worst players in the league last season. You're welcome.

Could you link to those? I did some digging today and nothing I found showed anything of the sort, especially when you consider his usage.
See above but also on the most basic level the Red Wings 5v5 xGF% last season was 41% with Walman on the ice and 48% with him off.

If you want to blame that entirely on usage be my guest but why would his usage be any different in SJ?

Yeah, Goodrow is barely overpaid at 3.6M x 3 and Walman is an albatross at 3.4 x 2. Keep up with that take
Yeah, a physical two-way center with almost 600 games of experience including two championships is worth more than a guy who has had one good season in his entire career at age 28. I will keep it up with this take.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose

View attachment 887360

The part in the red circle is what shows Walman was one of the worst players in the league last season. You're welcome.
You're still sorely lacking in evidence to support your opinion and only addressing one aspect of what I said shows how incapable you are of doing that.

Reactions: STL Shark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You're still sorely lacking in evidence to support your opinion and only addressing one aspect of what I said shows how incapable you are of doing that.
What more evidence do I need to support my "Jake Walman has negative trade value" opinion than Jake Walman being traded for negative value?

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009

View attachment 887360

See above but also on the most basic level the Red Wings 5v5 xGF% last season was 41% with Walman on the ice and 48% with him off.

If you want to blame that entirely on usage be my guest but why would his usage be any different in SJ?

Yeah, a physical two-way center with almost 600 games of experience including two championships is worth more than a guy who has had one good season in his entire career at age 28. I will keep it up with this take.

GP is the crux of your argument now. Perfect. We’ll end it there.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
Like any Jewish person, I must always check if someone is part of the tribe.

*EDIT: I don’t realize Warsofsky was Jewish! I love that. Let’s get Buium and we can be the San Jose Mensches.
We would be the San Jose Jew Crew when we get Buium and resign Kunin. We will then find a way to get the Hughes brothers on the team and Devon Levi in goal.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
What more evidence do I need to support my "Jake Walman has negative trade value" opinion than Jake Walman being traded for negative value?
Something that proves he has negative value beyond the trade itself. There are a myriad of reasons why he could have been traded. Hypothetically speaking, say MG and his pro scouting team really like Walman and think he's good, and they also know that Yzerman is desperate for cap space. Squeezing out a good middle pairing dman and a 2nd for nothing is great work and is more in line with what the models are saying about Walman than the sheer fact that Mike Grier made a great trade. Jumping to Walman being bad isn't taking any of those possibilities into account. Especially when the information that is available to fans says Walman does not have negative value.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Something that proves he has negative value beyond the trade itself. There are a myriad of reasons why he could have been traded. Hypothetically speaking, say MG and his pro scouting team really like Walman and think he's good, and they also know that Yzerman is desperate for cap space. Squeezing out a good middle pairing dman and a 2nd for nothing is great work and is more in line with what the models are saying about Walman than the sheer fact that Mike Grier made a great trade. Jumping to Walman being bad isn't taking any of those possibilities into account. Especially when the information that is available to fans says Walman does not have negative value.
I just showed you using your own chart that Walman was one of the worst players in the league last season.

Moneypuck xG corroborates this. Red Wings went from being Sharks-level awful with Walman on the ice to just a regular bad team with him off.

If you want to say "it's just one season"...the guy has literally only played two seasons in the NHL. At 28 years old.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I just showed you using your own chart that Walman was one of the worst players in the league last season.
That chart said he was squarely 25th percentile in WAR. Under the loosest of definitions of "one of the worst" that's a major stretch. If his WAR was <5% sure, but 25% certainly not.

Hyperbole weakens arguments

Reactions: Sandisfan

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Moneypuck xG corroborates this. Red Wings went from being Sharks-level awful with Walman on the ice to just a regular bad team with him off.

If you want to say "it's just one season"...the guy has literally only played two seasons in the NHL. At 28 years old.
Goodrow - On-ice expected goals - 39.8%, Off-ice expected goals - 51.8%. But you were fine with that because '600 games'.

Meanwhile, Walman did have a poor season. However:

In 2020-21 (24 games): On-ice expected goals - 45.1%, Off-ice expected goals - 42.7%
In 2021-22 (51 games): On-ice expected goals - 49%, Off-ice expected goals - 45.1%
In 2022-23 (63 games): On-ice expected goals - 53.3%, Off-ice expected goals - 45.4%

Do you want me to do Goodrow's on-ice vs off-ice xGF% over the previous seasons with the Rangers, because they haven't been good.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

View attachment 887360

As the source of the data itself, I feel inclined to point out that a ~25th percentile performance is better than that of approximately 1/4 of other players.

While being “one of the worst” is impossible to truly prove or disprove without formally defining it, your claim is inaccurate by any reasonable definition. According to the metrics, he played extremely tough minutes and performed poorly. That’s substantially better than Ferraro performs every year according to those same metrics.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
As the source of the data itself, I feel inclined to point out that a ~25th percentile performance is better than that of approximately 1/4 of other players.

While being “one of the worst” is impossible to prove or disprove without formally defining it. According to the metrics, he played extremely tough minutes and performed poorly. Poorly is substantially better than Ferraro performs every year according to those same metrics.
hey welcome back, stay a while.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I just wanted to say--hopefully MG is reading this thread, lol--that I'm personally very thankful for all this activity of late. I succumbed to Covid for the first time over the weekend and lord knows I need all the distractions I can get. Grier basically going full-on video game GM this week certainly is helping, what with all the conversation it's created.
Feel better, the first time I got Covid it sucked, hopefully you're done with the worst of it in short order

Reactions: timorous me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad