Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Gonna take a wild guess that Afanasyev told the Preds he's going back to Russia, so Trotz dealt him to the Sharks, who were happy to dump Ozzy. Grier probably thought he could take a stab at changing his mind, but it didn't work. Guessing Afanasyev told the Sharks this before today, and the Sharks already knew that going into today.
There was whispers on the Nashville side that was known.

Reactions: ChompChomp

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Gonna take a wild guess that Afanasyev told the Preds he's going back to Russia, so Trotz dealt him to the Sharks, who were happy to dump Ozzy. Grier probably thought he could take a stab at changing his mind, but it didn't work. Guessing Afanasyev told the Sharks this before today, and the Sharks already knew that going into today.
Grier was unwilling to give him an NHL roster guarantee. Which I think he should have done and not claimed Goodrow (and yes, I know the Goodrow move happened first). If it didn't work out, no big deal. Move on to someone else.

Last edited:

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Just saw the news. Ozzy wasn't worth much, but certainly he worth someone playing in North America, right?

Right??
I'm not convinced Wiesblatt is worth someone playing in North America.

At least I'm not concerned about spending time maximizing the return for one year of an AHL depth guy who probably gets one more NHL contract and spends the rest of the decade bouncing around.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
@Double OT Sharks do not like to guarantee NHL roster spot for prospects (or someone without journeyman experience), they want to set roster based on merit.
That's nice, but not every situation is equal. In this case, you had turned "not an asset" into "possible asset." Most of the time, management has control over prospects. In this case, he had the option to tell NHL organizations to pound sand and get nothing if they didn't want to meet his demand. They didn't, so he told them to pound sand. He'd rather play in Russia than in an American minor league waiting behind the Barclay Goodrows of the world because they committed to a guy for three years that probably isn't any better than him and might be worse.

Is Barclay Goodrow going to earn his spot on merit this year or is he getting it gifted to him?

Reactions: Hangemhigh

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Barclay is penciled in to the lineup, but will have to play better than prospects and targeted-for-AHL players to be in season opening roster.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Barclay is penciled in to the lineup, but will have to play better than prospects and targeted-for-AHL players to be in season opening roster.
ok-okay.gif

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I’m willing to bet the thinking is Goodrow is going to have more of an impact on these young players than Afanasyev from a leadership standpoint.
My opinion is that players respect leaders that play the sport or once played it at a high level at some point in their career a lot more than they respect leaders at the bottom of a roster who were only ever a low-level player at the height of their career.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Well, it's sad to not see what we have in him this year but still having his rights means they can try to sign him when the team is looking better and maybe need a 3LW one day when the top 6 is more ready. We have so many forwards this year fighting for spots that maybe this was a blessing more than disappointment.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Well, it's sad to not see what we have in him this year but still having his rights means they can try to sign him when the team is looking better and maybe need a 3LW one day when the top 6 is more ready. We have so many forwards this year fighting for spots that maybe this was a blessing more than disappointment.
Unless he really breaks out in a major way in Russia, he won't get another chance in two years with us. Now in 2024 when winning a lot of games wasn't the top priority was the time to take an extended look at him. Two years from now, we're probably going to have enough internal candidates for winger spots that there won't be much motivation to bring back a 25 year old borderline NHL winger. Plus, we're probably going to be in the market for bigger targets in free agency assuming Celebrini and Smith develop into good NHL players.

Reactions: Hangemhigh

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Maybe since the Sharks have his rights for a couple years there's still a shot he plays here? That he'll get some time in the KHL and see if he's productive there while a spot opens up here? Or is that unrealistic?
I’d assume this is the idea. Maybe see if Egor wants to try to compete for a spot, sharks would have given him a fair shot but no guarantees. He probably makes more money in the KHL so he heads over there, if he does great Sharks have an asset on their hands either for trade or to bring back.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
My opinion is that players respect leaders that play the sport or once played it at a high level at some point in their career a lot more than they respect leaders at the bottom of a roster who were only ever a low-level player at the height of their career.
Today I learned Barclay Goodrow, who played 2nd line minutes for the Bolts on back to back championship teams, never played the sport at a high enough level to warrant respect from NHL rookies.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Today I learned Barclay Goodrow, who played 2nd line minutes for the Bolts on back to back championship teams, never played the sport at a high enough level to warrant respect from NHL rookies.
Of the 6 goals he scored in 63 career games with the Lightning, which would you say was your favorite of the 6?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

DoubleOT

Jan 5, 2017
San Jose, CA
Shades of Sasha Chemlevski? Not sure what his deal is now, but there was a moment where there was allegedly some interest in him around the league after he played well in the KHL.

So maybe the plan is that Afanasyev goes to the KHL and plays well and becomes either a Shark or a trade asset. Still probably a better gamble than hanging onto Ozzy at this point.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Of the 6 goals he scored in 63 career games with the Lightning, which would you say was your favorite of the 6?
I know he came at you hard, but I don't think it's true that rookies only respect players who were at the top of the lineup. Anyone who has won a cup has lived the biggest dream for any hockey player. Let alone someone who won 2 cups and played significant minutes during those cup runs. That's not even mentioning surviving in the best league in the world for many seasons.

And anyway, we didn't just add one player with playoff experience. We added Toffoli (cup winner, has succeeded on multiple teams), Dellandrea (young but experienced in playoffs), Goodrow, and Wennberg. Multiple voices with experience.

And for the top of lineup guys, you have Marleau, Ricci, and Thornton to keep their heads on straight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad