Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Today I learned Barclay Goodrow, who played 2nd line minutes for the Bolts on back to back championship teams, never played the sport at a high enough level to warrant respect from NHL rookies.
Why would rookies give 2 shits about some scrub who hasn't even hit 700 games played in the NHL?

Reactions: Star Platinum

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Don't we get some sort of draft pick compensation because of this? Similar to what happened when we traded Ehrhoff for 2 players that refused to sign a QO when their RFA deals expired?

No for two reasons:

1) draft pick compensation was only ever for players that failed to sign their initial contracts after being drafted. It is and was compensation for losing a guy who you drafted but never made it into the organization in the first place.

and

2) It's only for 1st round picks now. As of one of the last couple of CBAs you only get a 2nd round pick equivalent in number to where the lost player was drafted (eg failing to sign the 16th overall pick gets you the 16th pick in the 2nd round which would be.... 48th overall I think?)

The other moderate bit of value here is that since he was qualified by the team the Sharks will retain his rights until the first league year rollover (July 1) after he turns 27. He's 23 right now with a January birthday so if at any point in the next 3 years he entertains the idea of coming back to the NHL he'd have to do it with the Sharks or work out an arrangement where they relinquish his rights or trade them to another team.

Ditto for Chemelevski and Martin Kaut on their own individual timelines. I believe they've got 2 years to sign Chmelevski and 3 for Kaut if they want to come back.

With regard to the Ehrhoff trade, they only ever got the bonus draft pick for failing to sign Pat White (who was a Canucks 1st rounder). IIRC that pick ended up becoming Chris Tierney.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
No for two reasons:

1) draft pick compensation was only ever for players that failed to sign their initial contracts after being drafted. It is and was compensation for losing a guy who you drafted but never made it into the organization in the first place.

and

2) It's only for 1st round picks now. As of one of the last couple of CBAs you only get a 2nd round pick equivalent in number to where the lost player was drafted (eg failing to sign the 16th overall pick gets you the 16th pick in the 2nd round which would be.... 48th overall I think?)

The other moderate bit of value here is that since he was qualified by the team the Sharks will retain his rights until the first league year rollover (July 1) after he turns 27. He's 23 right now with a January birthday so if at any point in the next 3 years he entertains the idea of coming back to the NHL he'd have to do it with the Sharks or work out an arrangement where they relinquish his rights or trade them to another team.

Ditto for Chemelevski and Martin Kaut on their own individual timelines. I believe they've got 2 years to sign Chmelevski and 3 for Kaut if they want to come back.

With regard to the Ehrhoff trade, they only ever got the bonus draft pick for failing to sign Pat White (who was a Canucks 1st rounder). IIRC that pick ended up becoming Chris Tierney.
As we long-time Bay Area folks would say, that's good knowledge.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad