Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Egor Afanasyev for Ozzy Wiesblatt

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

spintops

Sep 13, 2013
It would be nice to keep the Lund line together. Hopefully Couture comes back and can share center duties with Smith. Just sucks because that leaves 0 top 6 forwards for Celebrini to play with.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It would be nice to keep the Lund line together. Hopefully Couture comes back and can share center duties with Smith. Just sucks because that leaves 0 top 6 forwards for Celebrini to play with.
I really think Grier isn’t done. I think there will be some forwards either traded or signed by the time the season starts. I would like to break up the Lund line honestly because I think Eklund would be a great winger for Celebrini.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Understatement of the year

I was about to write the same thing. I think Grier is going to be wildly aggressive this summer for a multitude of reasons. Celebrini and Smith aside, if this team doesn’t show improvement this year, I’m not sure he keeps his job.

Dellandrea and Goodrow are like housekeeping moves, I expect far more.

Reactions: ChompChomp

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I really think Grier isn’t done. I think there will be some forwards either traded or signed by the time the season starts. I would like to break up the Lund line honestly because I think Eklund would be a great winger for Celebrini.
Agree. Find a big fast RW as an F1 for those two and that’s a good line. Eklund and Celebrini mesh well skillset wise as both high IQ two way guys with offensive creativity as well. Just need a puck retriever that can absorb some contact on the boards to play with them.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Agree. Find a big fast RW as an F1 for those two and that’s a good line. Eklund and Celebrini mesh well skillset wise as both high IQ two way guys with offensive creativity as well. Just need a puck retriever that can absorb some contact on the boards to play with them.
You know what’s wild is that’s what they just acquired for Ozzy. Granted I don’t believe he will be on that line but that’s what Egor is.

Reactions: OversKy

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Reading the Preds board reaction and some scouting, it seems Egor actually can be a guy if he can figure it out in the NHL. He sounds ready to push for a spot and has some actual
upside, whereas Ozzy, sadly, has very little.

Curious to see if he can win a spot on the team next season.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Reading the Preds board reaction and some scouting, it seems Egor actually can be a guy if he can figure it out in the NHL. He sounds ready to push for a spot and has some actual
upside, whereas Ozzy, sadly, has very little.

Curious to see if he can win a spot on the team next season.
Preseason will be a good gauge.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
This dude seems like a legit quality add. He was nearly a pt per game player in the AHL and those kinda numbers in regard to a young player typically equals a great shot to be a regular NHL’er. We’re starting to really add a larger quantity of Russian players. Has to amount to something when it comes to the Russian guys feeling some comfort having their country men on the team.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
I was about to write the same thing. I think Grier is going to be wildly aggressive this summer for a multitude of reasons. Celebrini and Smith aside, if this team doesn’t show improvement this year, I’m not sure he keeps his job.

Dellandrea and Goodrow are like housekeeping moves, I expect far more.
I like the Dellandrea and Afanasyev moves though. Give opportunities to younger guys who probably are bottom 6 forwards long-term who are somewhat blocked for ice time on better squads. That's a good way to leverage one of the few things you have going for you as a team with a lot of holes - you also have opportunities for guys to prove themselves that they deserve a better shot to show that they're NHL worthy.

I think because the team was so bad though that there's gonna be some level of disappointment for a lot of people who are gonna want better players to put on a line with Celebrini than are willing to sign here, which is why even though @Sheng Peng is not a fan of the Sharks getting in on Patrik Laine, I say that's a rare case where you have the opportunity to buy low on a guy who has the skill to play with your young foundational centerpiece of your squad and help him look good. Celebrini isn't going to suddenly stop playing a 200 foot game because Patrik Laine is on the roster, but Patrik Laine might make it harder for teams to focus all the defensive attention on Celebrini.

We're simply not going to be able to go out and get a bunch of two-way players who check all the boxes for the team we ultimately want - they're gonna be flawed in some regard. Probably what we'll end up is with a team that has more grit and defense than last year's edition, but is still very much offensively challenged.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
This dude seems like a legit quality add. He was nearly a pt per game player in the AHL and those kinda numbers in regard to a young player typically equals a great shot to be a regular NHL’er. We’re starting to really add a larger quantity of Russian players. Has to amount to something when it comes to the Russian guys feeling some comfort having their country men on the team.
Was watching highlights on him and he looks a lot like Haltunen on offense when the shot goes in. Problem was that the point production just wasn't there at the AHL level until last season and he's not done much in limited time with the Preds.

He's a good risk at a bargain price for us.

Reactions: PacificOceanPotion

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Was watching highlights on him and he looks a lot like Haltunen on offense when the shot goes in. Problem was that the point production just wasn't there at the AHL level until last season and he's not done much in limited time with the Preds.

He's a good risk at a bargain price for us.
I’m cautiously optimistic. I’ll temper my expectations, but I’m hopeful he figures it all out with us.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Step 1: Acquire JGP + Lee for Gushchin + 4th round pick
Step 2: Feed Zetterlund-Granlund-Pageau to the wolves
Step 3: Your middle-6 now is Lee-Celebrini-Eklund, Afanasyev-Smith-Couture/Kostin with Dellandrea-Sturm-Goodrow 4th line
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit (team is more fun to watch and picks bottom-5 but isn't an all-time dumpster fire)

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Kostin-Celebrini-Dellandrea/Kunin

What's the problem? They are all 1st round picks? LOL.

I think this trade is a small win for GMMG. Ozzy didn't have a future in teal and this big guy might. And his name is even weirder.

Last edited:

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
North Brunswick, NJ
This is definitely a positive move, even if its low impact. Weisblatt was probably never seeing the NHL with us, so turning him into someone who will at the very least play a few games for us is a plus. We can't really expect Grier to solve the find someone to play with Celebrini and Smith and make the team a little more competitive issues through these minor trades though. We will have to wait for free agency for that.

I hope he can manage to find a vet or two who can be a willing mentor for 60% of the season while being somewhat productive so we can then flip him for some more assets. Fully expect another top 5 pick next year(probably top 3), but hopefully we don't depress Celebrini and Smith like we did Eklund this year a few times. Even if they are kids, I assume they know that they will be losing a fair amount. But hopefully Grier and War can create a good enough atmosphere for them to still enjoy their hockey and learn and grow.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I view this as a minor win for Grier. Wiesblatt is a bust. Afanasyev has an outside chance at making it or if he doesn't sign, it's not some loss off a bust.
I think it's a bigger win than that. It's an absolute player upgrade, that's for sure, plus is a guy that either makes the big club or punts to russia, thus opening a contract spot. OR he plays in the AHL where he was again better than Ozzy.

So we got 3 potential positive outcomes for 1 nothing player.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Step 1: Acquire JGP + Lee for Gushchin + 4th round pick
Step 2: Feed Zetterlund-Granlund-Pageau to the wolves
Step 3: Your middle-6 now is Lee-Celebrini-Eklund, Afanasyev-Smith-Couture/Kostin with Dellandrea-Sturm-Goodrow 4th line
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit (team is more fun to watch and picks bottom-5 but isn't an all-time dumpster fire)
I love Step 1. I would take both those guys for free (waivers anyone).

Step 4 is Trouba

Ferraro - Emberson
Muk - Trouba
Thrun - Benning

In a perfect world I would trade Ferraro for a late first (Emery) and sign Skjei to a 5 year 7-8 million contract.

Reactions: DG93

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
You’re right there will be plenty of 3/4th line and AHL tweeners available this off season and Grier will try to sign most of them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad