Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Except Ceci was not a cap dump. He was traded with a 3rd round pick for Ty Emberson.
So Ceci is worth less than Ty Emberson who was on waivers and couldn’t break into the Sharks team consistently? Not only worth less but a good amount less considering they got a mid round pick too. But is still not a cap dump.

Very curious what your definition of a cap dump is if Ceci is not one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
So Ceci is worth less than Ty Emberson who was on waivers and couldn’t break into the Sharks team consistently? Not only worth less but a good amount less considering they got a mid round pick too. But is still not a cap dump.
Cody at 3.25 is worth less than Ty. If their salaries were the same we're probably adding.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Very curious what your definition of a cap dump is if Ceci is not one.
Edmonton valued Emberson over Ceci because they needed to shed ~2M to be cap compliant when Kane gets back.

A cap dump is something like the Walman trade where the guy is attached to a pick and traded literally for nothing.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Cap dump trades don't involve a positive value asset going the other way.
This is an incredibly narrow and self serving definition of a cap dump, a cap dump is any asset in a trade offloaded purely to make salaries work

Granlund, Hoffman and Rutta were all cap dumps in the Karlsson trade, Pittsburgh still recieved a positive asset in that deal

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I get the POV, i do. But i think all of what you're saying is a hope rather than looking at it objectively. And i do get that because it's such a nothing burger of a trade that having the guy you like with the low odds of a high ceiling is enticing, but from the framework to the details this is a good trade.
Yes, I am hoping that Emberson is something decent to solid and think for a non-competing team that riding out that hope is a better decision than selling him for a relatively nothing return. Did the same thing with Eyssimont and sure enough he's a real player on a playoff team and the 4th round pick we got for him is highly likely to never play an NHL game. Meanwhile we're chasing some of the stuff Eyssimont brought to the table this offseason/TDL in Goodrow, Dellandrea, Grundstrom, and Kostin.

My one critique for Grier as GM is that he's been too eager to just get something for what is perceived to be a nothing asset or a free asset instead of letting things play out a little more. Long-term, it's better to be too quick to move someone before the air drops out of the sails of their trade value (good instances of this was moving Karlsson, Meier, and Hertl at their max value), but it is also just a fair critique to this deal when this org has had a total of two 3rd rounders ever make it in 30+ years.

Why not both? It's not like we have any shortage of cap space, or any shortage of need for right shot defensemen for that matter.
Because Ceci is objectively a bad NHL defenseman by virtually any real metric that isn't just the appeal to authority fallacy.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Yes, I am hoping that Emberson is something decent to solid and think for a non-competing team that riding out that hope is a better decision than selling him for a relatively nothing return. Did the same thing with Eyssimont and sure enough he's a real player on a playoff team and the 4th round pick we got for him is highly likely to never play an NHL game. Meanwhile we're chasing some of the stuff Eyssimont brought to the table this offseason/TDL in Goodrow, Dellandrea, Grundstrom, and Kostin.

My one critique for Grier as GM is that he's been too eager to just get something for what is perceived to be a nothing asset or a free asset instead of letting things play out a little more. Long-term, it's better to be too quick to move someone before the air drops out of the sails of their trade value (good instances of this was moving Karlsson, Meier, and Hertl at their max value), but it is also just a fair critique to this deal when this org has had a total of two 3rd rounders ever make it in 30+ years.

Because Ceci is objectively a bad NHL defenseman by virtually any real metric that isn't just the appeal to authority fallacy.
I get the point of view that many hold that agrees with this, and I can't reiterate enough how I don't really care if I'm wrong or right here, but two devil's advocate points:

1. Grier has cycled through a bunch of reclamation projects/young unknowns who haven't been given a full chance and has been happy to let a bunch of them go for assets that ended up being "selling high" or at least no major penalty to the sharks. Two of them (Eyssimont, Hill) ended up outperforming elsewhere but that doesn't mean he should have held on for longer on those players, or any of the others. Yes, yes, maybe he has misjudged the three players that anyone could see had more potential, but maybe not. Maybe holding on would have led to holding on to Addison, Zadina, or everyone's latest punching bag Kostin. Or he did hold on to Zetterlund - maybe that's the level of player he really wants to hold on to, maybe he said no to people who asked about him. We just don't know that Grier is systematically under valuing young assets just because he moved two (or three) that ended up rebounding/excelling elsewhere.

2. people keep saying this about Ceci but the metrics from the regular season and the ice time and results from the playoffs just don't fully agree that he's "objectively a bad NHL defenseman by virtutally any real metric that isn't an appeal to authority." For example the Athletic underlying stats model. Where are others getting their stats? Yes, the stats have team effects that may hide his warts, and Emberson's limited underlying stats looked better, but it seems like as a second or third pairing D he was able to be a neutral impact defenseman on the oil as long as he wasn't paired with Nurse. Again, I don't really care and I don't expect him to save our team, I would have preferred to keep Emberson, but I'm also not sure why everyone is so convinced Ceci is terrible versus just being a plug, and those two things are very different to me. Not every third pairing D in the NHL is objectively bad by any metric, they're just 2nd/third pairing D. Just like Ferraro is not an objectively bad defenseman - he's objectively bad as a first pairing defenseman and may be sliding into arguably bad as a second pairing defenseman, but he's an NHL defenseman.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Edmonton valued Emberson over Ceci because they needed to shed ~2M to be cap compliant when Kane gets back.

A cap dump is something like the Walman trade where the guy is attached to a pick and traded literally for nothing.
So RyJo was not a cap dump at the TDL last year.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Except Ceci was not a cap dump. He was traded with a 3rd round pick for Ty Emberson.
There is no world in which Ty Emberson, a 24 year old with 30 career NHL games who could not stay healthy, would return a 3rd round pick on his own. Ergo, Cody Ceci was a cap dump.

You insisted just a week ago that the Oilers didn't have to trade Ceci to match the Broberg offer sheet, that losing Broberg for a 2nd would be terrible asset management for Edmonton, and that keeping Kane out of their lineup all year via LITR wouldn't hurt them at all. Now you're saying that Edmonton only traded Ceci so they can be cap compliant when Kane gets back?

My problem is that you chance your argument to fit your narrative and don't keep your logic consistent. Edmonton traded Ceci because they didn't want him on their roster. Full stop.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cap dump trades don't involve a positive value asset going the other way.
Not true. The Brent Burns trade was a cap dump trade for us with a positive value asset coming our way even if it was middling. Lots of times players get dealt for draft picks or prospects only that are examples of cap dump trades with positive value assets going the other way. You only want it to be the way you're framing it for the sake of winning an argument but it isn't actually what it is.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You insisted just a week ago that the Oilers didn't have to trade Ceci to match the Broberg offer sheet, that losing Broberg for a 2nd would be terrible asset management for Edmonton, and that keeping Kane out of their lineup all year via LITR wouldn't hurt them at all. Now you're saying that Edmonton only traded Ceci so they can be cap compliant when Kane gets back?
All of this is still true and explains why it wasn't a cap dump. Edmonton didn't *need* to dump Ceci but clearly they valued the cheaper Emberson over him in order to create cap flexibility by the deadline. Also I was only talking about what I would have done in the Oilers situation, not trying to predict what the worst run org in the league would do.

Not true. The Brent Burns trade was a cap dump trade for us with a positive value asset coming our way even if it was middling. Lots of times players get dealt for draft picks or prospects only that are examples of cap dump trades with positive value assets going the other way. You only want it to be the way you're framing it for the sake of winning an argument but it isn't actually what it is.
Burns was not a cap dump. We literally did not need to dump any cap. Burns was traded because he asked to be.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns was not a cap dump. We literally did not need to dump any cap. Burns was traded because he asked to be.
Burns was absolutely a cap dump trade. Just because the motivation was because he was asked to be doesn't mean the end result of the trade wasn't a cap dump. These are not mutually exclusive concepts. You can admit you made an incorrect statement. It's okay.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Burns was absolutely a cap dump trade. Just because the motivation was because he was asked to be doesn't mean the end result of the trade wasn't a cap dump. These are not mutually exclusive concepts. You can admit you made an incorrect statement. It's okay.
Define cap dump trade because it sounds like you're arguing every trade where the cap hits aren't perfectly balanced is a cap dump trade.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I wouldn't want to fallaciously appeal to the authority of NHL coaching staffs that have consistently used Ceci in a top 4 role and enjoyed regular season and playoff success while doing so. Much better to appeal to the authority of charts some dork made based on the deficient public NHL dataset.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I get the point of view that many hold that agrees with this, and I can't reiterate enough how I don't really care if I'm wrong or right here, but two devil's advocate points:

1. Grier has cycled through a bunch of reclamation projects/young unknowns who haven't been given a full chance and has been happy to let a bunch of them go for assets that ended up being "selling high" or at least no major penalty to the sharks. Two of them (Eyssimont, Hill) ended up outperforming elsewhere but that doesn't mean he should have held on for longer on those players, or any of the others. Yes, yes, maybe he has misjudged the three players that anyone could see had more potential, but maybe not. Maybe holding on would have led to holding on to Addison, Zadina, or everyone's latest punching bag Kostin. Or he did hold on to Zetterlund - maybe that's the level of player he really wants to hold on to, maybe he said no to people who asked about him. We just don't know that Grier is systematically under valuing young assets just because he moved two (or three) that ended up rebounding/excelling elsewhere.

2. people keep saying this about Ceci but the metrics from the regular season and the ice time and results from the playoffs just don't fully agree that he's "objectively a bad NHL defenseman by virtutally any real metric that isn't an appeal to authority." For example the Athletic underlying stats model. Where are others getting their stats? Yes, the stats have team effects that may hide his warts, and Emberson's limited underlying stats looked better, but it seems like as a second or third pairing D he was able to be a neutral impact defenseman on the oil as long as he wasn't paired with Nurse. Again, I don't really care and I don't expect him to save our team, I would have preferred to keep Emberson, but I'm also not sure why everyone is so convinced Ceci is terrible versus just being a plug, and those two things are very different to me. Not every third pairing D in the NHL is objectively bad by any metric, they're just 2nd/third pairing D. Just like Ferraro is not an objectively bad defenseman - he's objectively bad as a first pairing defenseman and may be sliding into arguably bad as a second pairing defenseman, but he's an NHL defenseman.
To #2, I look at Ceci's relative numbers compared to his teammates (CFrel, FFrel, xGF% with D partners vs without, etc.) to make the pretty universally known observation that he just isn't good. None of those are perfect on their own, but each one of those stats tells the same story basically every year of his NHL career.

Ceci performs worse away from Nurse than he does with Nurse from an expected goals standpoint while Nurse performs better away from Ceci than he does with him. That is his largest sample size D partner over the last 3 seasons (2,576 mins together versus 1,273 mins apart). Same rings true for Ceci with Kulak (granted a much smaller sample size of 386 mins together). Ceci and Duncan Keith's corpse played about 510 mins together and were awful together and both better away from each other indicating it was just a bad pairing.

So yeah, he's probably an averageish #5/6 D-Man, but paid and deployed like a #3/4. Fine to feed him to the wolves this year and cut bait from there though. Extending that profile of player (age, skill, and likely salary ask) is basically always bad news.

Last edited:

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
To #2, I look at Ceci's relative numbers compared to his teammates (CFrel, FFrel, xGF% with D partners vs without, etc.) to make the pretty universally known observation that he just isn't good. None of those are perfect on their own, but each one of those stats tells the same story basically every year of his NHL career.

Ceci performs worse away from Nurse than he does with Nurse from an expected goals standpoint while Nurse performs better away from Ceci than he does with him. That is his largest sample size D partner over the last 3 seasons (2,576 mins together versus 1,273 mins apart). Same rings true for Ceci with Kulak (granted a much smaller sample size of 386 mins together). Ceci and Duncan Keith's corpse played about 510 mins together and were awful together and both better away from each other indicating it was just a bad pairing.

So yeah, he's probably an averageish #5/6 D-Man, but paid and deployed like a #3/4. Fine to feed him to the wolves this year and cut bait from there though. Extending that profile of player (age, skill, and likely salary ask) is basically always bad news.
What year is this? 2013? Who the hell is still using "CFrel" and "FFrel" to judge players? I assure you no NHL club is using Natural Stat Trick to decide whether to acquire a player. They have troves of RFID tracking data capable of generating granular analysis of how a player individually contributes to team success or failure rather than simply making an assumption based on what occurs when he's on the ice. They also have professional scouts.

I love that you accuse others of appealing to the authority of actual NHL coaches and management who clearly see some value in Ceci while you yourself appeal to the authority of dumb hockey fans who have come to this "universally known observation" that Ceci sucks.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

That's a fair critique, though, as you mentioned, your criticism only really pertains to small potatoes moves. To me that's the biggest factor towards the idea that we shouldn't be looking at this trade under a microscope. With small-time players like this there is too much behind the scenes we don't know about to make any sort of logical conclusion about the fairness of the deal.

Hopefully the Eyssimont trade was a learning lesson for Grier. However, we have replaced him 4-fold with names you just mentioned, again proving that these players are easily acquired. Really depends on how one looks at it, honestly.

But then again, Grier already decided that Emberson was not part of the future, so any criticism about him evaluating Emberson shouldn't spill over into the trade. Perhaps this was him selling at Emberson's highest to the only org who has his former coach.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
No it really doesn't but even if it did, so what? In a cap league, the cap savings is a significant motivator for pretty much everyone.
Of course cap hits are a significant consideration in every trade but there's a difference between that and a pure cap dump trade like Glass to PIT, Walman to SJ, Gostisbehere to ARI, etc.

As I said earlier in this thread, the cap savings from exchanging Ceci for Emberson was certainly a reason Edmonton made this trade. That doesn't make Ceci a cap dump.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Of course cap hits are a significant consideration in every trade but there's a difference between that and a pure cap dump trade like Glass to PIT, Walman to SJ, Gostisbehere to ARI, etc.

As I said earlier in this thread, the cap savings from exchanging Ceci for Emberson was certainly a reason Edmonton made this trade. That doesn't make Ceci a cap dump.
There's a difference but not in whether or not it's a cap dump trade. And you did say that earlier. You are still wrong. It is still a cap dump and still makes Ceci a cap dump. Plenty of useful players have been traded as cap dumps.

Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
lol we need to define cap dump now. Is it:

A) a player DUMPed for CAP reasons
B) a CAP hit DUMPed for other reasons
C) a player and CAP DUMPed for unknown reasons

A would be like Ceci, B would be like Burns, C would be like Walman

• Haha
Reactions: coooldude

Ad

Upcoming events