Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The411

May 30, 2024
Emberson is a UFA if he plays less than 50 games this year. The Sharks would have been gambling on his health.

The Sharks needed a slot to pick up Ceci so why not dump a guy who got hurt and people massively overrate that just as easily become a UFA and if Emberson didn’t hit the mark he’s as good as gone anyway. If he does play 50 or more games now he’s a RFA and you are now potentially hamstringing yourself with a multi year deal for a 7th/8th dman.

Ceci is a veteran RD and will likely be the top RD available at the trade deadline so all it takes is one team with a critical need for a RD at the deadline to create a big demand.

If you “win” and extract maximum value all the time no one will trade with you and that means when you really need a trade you’re stuck. Sometime trades are about greasing the wheels for future trades.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
This feels like a deal with an eye toward the development of not only Ferraro and Muhk who don’t have to be thrown to the wolves, but also of Smith and Celebrini, who get another puck mover and vet who will hopefully be an upgrade over what we have. I have zero attachment to Emberson, he can’t stay healthy and he’s, like, fine? But who cares. You can get a thousand of him.

Hopefully with PP1 time, Ceci puts up a lot of points and gets traded to a playoff team for a 2nd or late 1st. But this feels like a totally fine move to me, I’m genuinely unsure why people are upset.

Is this not better…

Ferraro - Ceci
Thrun - Walman
Muhk - Rutta
Vlasic

…than last year? I’d say it’s far better. Not good, but, like, better.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This feels like a deal with an eye toward the development of not only Ferraro and Muhk who don’t have to be thrown to the wolves, and Smith and Celebrini, who get another puck mover and vet who will hopefully be an upgrade over what we have. I have zero attachment to Emberson, he can’t stay healthy and he’s, like, fine? But who cares. You can get a thousand of him.

Hopefully with PP1 time, Ceci puts up a lot of points and gets traded to a playoff team for a 2nd or late 1st. But this feels like a totally fine move to me, I’m genuinely unsure why people are upset.

Is this not better…

Ferraro - Ceci
Thrun - Walman
Muhk - Rutta
Vlasic

…than last year? I’d say it’s far better. Not good, but, like, better.
I think having more stability and experience on the back end SIGNIFICANTLY helps the kids up front focus on their tasks.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Emberson is a UFA if he plays less than 50 games this year. The Sharks would have been gambling on his health.

The Sharks needed a slot to pick up Ceci so why not dump a guy who got hurt and people massively overrate that just as easily become a UFA and if Emberson didn’t hit the mark he’s as good as gone anyway. If he does play 50 or more games now he’s a RFA and you are now potentially hamstringing yourself with a multi year deal for a 7th/8th dman.

Ceci is a veteran RD and will likely be the top RD available at the trade deadline so all it takes is one team with a critical need for a RD at the deadline to create a big demand.

If you “win” and extract maximum value all the time no one will trade with you and that means when you really need a trade you’re stuck. Sometime trades are about greasing the wheels for future trades.

I agree very much with these sentiments about the trade.

Emberson was a nobody and we would have been lucky if we turned into a career NHLer like Ceci. And even though Ceci is not great, this is an NHL player, something we lacked and needed last year. If we can flip him, great, if not, it's still a 3rd in the bag, so at the very least we upgraded the defense and got draft capital with potentially more.

Hard to see the arguments against this move when 1) we aren't competing, 2) Emberson was free and has now returned 2 assets. I get people liked emberson but this is a positive move no matter how you slice it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hangemhigh

Dec 20, 2013
Bye Emberson. Maybe he told GMMG he didn't want to be here.

2nd would have been my preference. Perhaps GMMG appreciated the oily pizza from Edmonton.

Reactions: General Manager

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Flipping a waiver pick-up for 3rd rounder almost a year later. And let's see what Ceci can do, even if it's not much. Not too bad. The only thing I don't like here is helping out the Oilers. :laugh:
Ceci is gonna eat minutes for a year. By the time sj is good again Edmonton will stink and we may need reciprocation. Grier is building a lot of good will around the league.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Bare minimum I think we can get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th at the deadline for Granlund, Ceci, Kunin, Rutta and Sturm respectively.

We may end up re-signing some of those guys but either way this will be a nice infusion of picks that will make it easier to start moving 2nds, prospects or even the Vegas 1st if the right trades for U25 players come along.

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
The fact that people in the Sharks board voted f’ing Ty Emberson as a top 10 prisoect should automatically disqualify their opinions on hockey matters.

Hey don't generalize the entire board.

Not that I disagree with you that he had no business being ranked the 10th best Sharks prospect but he only had a bit over a quarter of the vote (which I'll concede is still high) so it wasn't the consensus.

Reactions: Gecklund

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Hey don't generalize the entire board.

Not that I disagree with you that he had no business being ranked the 10th best Sharks prospect but he only had a bit over a quarter of the vote (which I'll concede is still high) so it wasn't the consensus.
Also being the 10th best Sharks prospect is not high praise. We have 9 good prospects and then a massive dropoff in quality.

• Haha
Reactions: Trow

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Also being the 10th best Sharks prospect is not high praise. We have 9 good prospects and then a massive dropoff in quality.

I'd fight you on that because I think Cagnoni has awesome potential though I understand your position because of his size, it will be an uphill fight for him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
By the time this team is good neither Emberson nor Ceci will be here. The fact that Ceci is sorta proven and is an RD will help at the deadline and hopefully he’ll be pretty good for us and help us actually get the puck sometimes. My hope is with way more opportunities + playing with Eklund, Smith and Celebrini on the PP, he’ll put up a good amount of points and fetch a good pick. This team is like 36% done, I wouldn’t get attached to too many guys.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Ty Emberson was projected to be a 3rd pair RD for a future Sharks playoff team by many users here. I think we can find a similar player later or maybe even develop one.
Grier top priority is making Celebrini/Smith transition to NHL as smooth as it can be.
Getting Ceci helps to balance out the prospect/veteran ratio for this upcoming season. It's crucial that Celebrini/Smith have more veterans around them even if they aren't the top ones.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
An interesting page from THN 2012 draft preview guide:

The scout who said he was more slanted to offense than defense shouldn't be a scout lmao.
Many defensemen who were projected as offensive contributors find out that they can't be as dynamic in the pros as they were in juniors and re-imagine their game to become defensive guys. Ceci was indeed considered an offensive defenseman coming out of juniors.

To the "Grier suxxx" crowd coming out of the woodworks, to be perfectly clear, I hate this trade because I hate Cody Ceci, not because it's actually a bad trade for the Sharks.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Ty Emberson was projected to be a 3rd pair RD for a future Sharks playoff team by many users here. I think we can find a similar player later or maybe even develop one.
Grier top priority is making Celebrini/Smith transition to NHL as smooth as it can be.
Getting Ceci helps to balance out the prospect/veteran ratio for this upcoming season. It's crucial that Celebrini/Smith have more veterans around them even if they aren't the top ones.
Ty Emberson is also 24 and on his 4th Org. I guess there's a chance he's a diamond in the rough but I don't think it's an appeal to authority to note that 3 orgs have found him expendable

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Honestly, I think Emberson was vastly overrated here and this deal only upsets you if you really thought Emberson was good. Maybe he'll make the Rangers and Sharks look dumb this year, but I think he's viewed as a replacement level asset in the NHL outside of this board.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If the Oilers don't want Holloway but still want to stick it to the Blues (and Holloway) maybe they can put him on waivers and we can pick him up to work around the trade embargo.

OiledUp

Sep 17, 2011
I think Ceci is a pretty smart pick up for where you are at. He's not been great the last couple of seasons for what the Oilers wanted out of him, top 4 D, but he's fine defensively, a good PKer and while not doing great with them can physically handle playing big minutes. Also a very well liked veteran in the room. Think he will be a steadying presence for your young team. Count on being really frustrated with him at times though.

I know very little of Ty Emberson, for me the win for the Oil is the dumped cap and getting rid of a D who struggled when the quality of play went up, just getting a guy back who at least can be in competition for an NHL spot is good enough for me and from what I understand he's at the very least that?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad