Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Edmonton
I don't like giving up Emberson in this trade because I thought he was good for us last year in a bad situation but at the same time Emberson seems like the type of player who us fans overhype and rate because we want to find the next diamond in the rough off waivers. I was way too high on Jacob Peterson after the 22-23 season and now he seems to be out of the league. I am glad we got a 3rd rounder for taking Ceci and I am hopeful we can flip him at the deadline for more. Ceci seems like a guy that fans always despise but that NHL GMs love.

he's a lot better than the internet gives him credit for. You're right that GMs seem to like him, he's a good vet to have around young rookies. Seems very well liked by teammates wherever he plays

Reactions: Sendhelplease

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yea Emberson seems like he has the potential to be a legit NHL player. He might not but he was the pleasant surprise of our hot trash blueline last year
Guys like him unfortunately are a dime a dozen. Doesn’t help he can’t stay healthy.

I figured odds were good that Grier would settle for the 3rd to partially recoup the traded picks in the Hertl deal but giving them Emberson too makes not getting a 2nd a bit of a pill to swallow. I don’t think Emberson has the sort of potential that’s worth worrying about losing but he’s at least something young at RHD and now we have three fringe vets with two years or less and nothing in line to replace them.
I like his experience and if he’s decent again this year we’ll ultimately be able to get another third. There are always gonna be guys like emberson to be found.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ceci wasn't good on a good team. He's going to look even worse in a bad one.

I'll be shocked if they get a 2nd
It's simple supply and demand. Any contender shopping for top 4 RD at the deadline will have three options on expiring deals: Ceci, Adam Larsson and 34 year old David Savard. If Seattle is in the playoff mix it's just Ceci and Savard.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
We'll get a 2nd when we trade Ceci at the deadline.
I actually like most of your posts (and I like most of what Grier has done) but this one here is pretty ridiculous.

Your knee-jerk reaction to what is, by all accounts, a poor move, is to make an empty, optimistic promise that this move will lead to something beneficial happening for us in the very distant future. Give the act a rest. It’s okay to admit somebody may have made a mistake.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Immediate reaction is that I'm bummed we had to ship out Emberson to get this done and especially with only a 3rd coming back. So from a gut reaction to what we hoped the market would be, not great.

However, Grier turned a waiver pickup into our new top RD veteran and a third this draft. So from that POV, ignoring what we hoped Emberson might become, it's a good deal.

I still feel a little sour on it but we'll see how Emberson does and we'll see how Ceci does.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I actually like most of your posts (and I like most of what Grier has done) but this one here is pretty ridiculous.

Your knee-jerk reaction to what is, by all accounts, a poor move, is to make an empty, optimistic promise that this move will lead to something beneficial happening for us in the very distant future. Give the act a rest. It’s okay to admit somebody may have made a mistake.
It's not a knee-jerk reaction when I was explicitly advocating for this exact move before it even happened...
We should undercut the market and offer to take Ceci for a 3rd then trade him for a 2nd or 3rd at the deadline. Two picks for free.

Reactions: 209

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Immediate reaction is that I'm bummed we had to ship out Emberson to get this done and especially with only a 3rd coming back. So from a gut reaction to what we hoped the market would be, not great.

However, Grier turned a waiver pickup into our new top RD veteran and a third this draft. So from that POV, ignoring what we hoped Emberson might become, it's a good deal.

I still feel a little sour on it but we'll see how Emberson does and we'll see how Ceci does.
Ceci us like actually garbage though

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It does make me happy that Blues fans are mad right now lol.
They got Holloway for a 3rd, what do they have to complain about.

Expecting to steal a defenseman with Broberg's potential for a 2nd round pick was always delusional. Teams will move heaven and earth to keep an asset like that vs. losing it for such a poor return.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
I don’t love the deal. Not huge either way, but I don’t love it.

I was actually a bit excited to see what Emberson might become. 10 pts in 30 games is respectable. Unlikely he’d be a star but he had some potential, and for a team with a weak D future, you gotta keep the kids.

I’m actually glad they got Ceci as I think he’s now a top pairing D for us (how sad is that?). He’s good for 20min/gm and can add a little offense and is a veteran presence. Maybe he has a great year and the sharks are able to flip him.

The 3rd isn’t much but it’s better than nothing and I’d rather this deal than have Edmonton make a trade with Anaheim, Calgary, or some other ample cap team.

This trade makes the Sharks better this year and might add two mid round picks (the third and a similar return at the deadline). It’s a win, even if not the win any of us would like to have seen…

Grier gets a C-. Not an F by giving up picks for Ceci. Not a D by making no deal at all and missing the chance to add assets. But not a B by getting the third for nothing and not an A by getting a second or more.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

I think Ty may have hit his peak value for us. He’ll look better offensively playing top 4 minutes (if he does) with an offense like theirs but I’m not sure Grier ever had any intentions of signing him long term. At least Cody offers some stability and durability. Most of our d guys seem like they can’t stay healthy.

Reactions: Baysick

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
It's not a knee-jerk reaction when I was explicitly advocating for this exact move before it even happened...

You went from “2nd or 3rd” to a 2nd with absolute confidence once you saw Emberson was included and deduced the trade may not look great if it were just a 3rd. Kinda proving my point.

Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I'm disappointed that the Sharks gave up Emberson, but this almost certainly is the Sharks needing to balance out roster spots and not thinking very highly of Emberson. I can't say 100%, but I'm sure the Sharks had their pick of who to send out (as long as the contract was cheap).

A defense of this would be that with Ceci, and Benning healthy, Emberson would struggle to stay in the line-up and would be on waivers anyways.

Reactions: hckygeek

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I like his experience and if he’s decent again this year we’ll ultimately be able to get another third. There are always gonna be guys like emberson to be found.
I agree that Emberson is largely a dime a dozen type and my gripe is largely over a round that has long odds still. It just seems pointless if all were going to do is recoup later 3rd round picks to make up for earlier 3rd round picks we dealt. Even if we do, those picks are still probably bust and we’re slightly further away building a younger competitive blue line moving Emberson.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Ceci us like actually garbage though
I kind of had the feeling like a lot of us that he was going to be in teal, and I also expect us to suck this year. Oilersc didn't have any high picks this year to play with and no prospects except the ones who just got offer sheeted, so the 3rd is unsurprising and Ceci coming to us is unsurprising and also not disappointing. What sucks is losing Emberson. The only way this deal turns awesome is if Emberson doesn't get real good (edit) (possible), if Ceci gets us another asset at the TDL (possible), or if Ceci is any good as our 1RD (unlikely).

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You went from “2nd or 3rd” to a 2nd with absolute confidence once you saw Emberson was included and deduced the trade may not look great if it were just a 3rd. Kinda proving my point.
You're projecting. Nobody should have absolute confidence about what any player will return 7 months from now but given Lyubushkin and Edmundson went for 3rd round picks+ this past deadline, that should be the floor for Ceci.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Side note: Ceci played 20 mins/gm and had 25 points with ZERO PP time. That’s pretty damn good. In that time, he was +12 (3rd among oiler D) and took only 7 minor penalties all year.

I haven’t watched him that close but his numbers are pretty solid. I’m not sure there wasn’t a market for him (hence low return) and I’m not sure that on the sharks, with some pp time and 22nd/gm, he could see his value rise.

Imagine a season of 22mins, 35+ pts. If he has a good year (like granlund last year) he’s have solid deadline value.

I don’t mind this deal.

Reactions: hckygeek

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad