Confirmed with Link: Sharks acquire Cody Ceci and 2025 3rd for Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I agree that Emberson is largely a dime a dozen type and my gripe is largely over a round that has long odds still. It just seems pointless if all we’re going to do is recoup later 3rd round picks to make up for earlier 3rd round picks we dealt. Even if we do, those picks are still probably bust and we’re slightly further away building a younger competitive blue line moving Emberson.
The team is turning over a lot of the roster and icing quite a few rookies up front and aging, injury riddled guys on the back end. Ferraro is due to just explode into dust. Still need to show more competitiveness and while we MAY have gotten that from Ty, the fact remains he had a lot of injuries already. I imagine that’s why he was only given one year at a million.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
There is the possibility the Oilers don't value Emberson and place him on waivers to start the season. We could claim Emberson back in that scenario and then we have all 3 pieces of the trade...

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
You're projecting. Nobody should have absolute confidence about what any player will return 7 months from now but given Lyubushkin and Edmundson went for 3rd round picks+ this past deadline, that should be the floor for Ceci.
How am I projecting? I’ve sang plenty of praise and criticism both for Grier’s work. You’re the one who’s only ever on one side of the argument.

Edmundson and Lyubushkin both just got over $3M and at least 3 years of term on the open market. There’s no reason to believe Ceci, who by all accounts had negative value at $3M on an expiring deal, has as much value as them. And he would need to have substantially MORE to get a 2nd, as they only got 3rds. They prove the point that the 2nd is absurd.

Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Side note: Ceci played 20 mins/gm and had 25 points with ZERO PP time. That’s pretty damn good. In that time, he was +12 (3rd among oiler D) and took only 7 minor penalties all year.
That can't be right. I was told he's the worst defenseman in the league by people who haven't watched him play since he was in Ottawa.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think Ty may have hit his peak value for us. He’ll look better offensively playing top 4 minutes (if he does) with an offense like theirs but I’m not sure Grier ever had any intentions of signing him long term. At least Cody offers some stability and durability. Most of our d guys seem like they can’t stay healthy.
I feel like Emberson got lucky being injured so that we didn't hate him when the team extra imploded the last couple months. If he was still around post trade deadline, he'd probably get caved in and his metrics wouldn't look as good.

Tw1ster

Mar 12, 2008
West Coast
While the trade doesn’t blow my skirt up either way, it sure feels like Ty Emberson has been incredibly overvalued on these boards. He’s played 30 NHL games and couldn’t stay healthy. At least with Ceci, you’re getting a big bodied minutes eater that can provide that veteran presence that everyone was clamouring for when Smith and Celebrini signed. Flip him at the deadline and you’re likely looking at two third round picks for Emberson. It’s not a great trade but it makes sense to me

And he’s 6’3

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The team is turning over a lot of the roster and icing quite a few rookies up front and aging, injury riddled guys on the back end. Ferraro is due to just explode into dust. Still need to show more competitiveness and while we MAY have gotten that from Ty, the fact remains he had a lot of injuries already. I imagine that’s why he was only given one year at a million.
Yeah Emberson hasn’t shown much but I’d take a 24 year old who looked solid over another mediocre vet when we have plenty of those.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Brutal, Mike really letting teams take advantage of him here.

Ceci shouldve had a second attached on his own to take, and why give up one of our only decent D last year?
This is $3M over one year we’re talking here. A 2nd is probably a bit much for that even if Ceci never plays again.

I think a 3rd is reasonable for Ceci and a 3rd is reasonable for Emberson as well. Getting only one of them is not reasonable even if it’s not massively far from it.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
How am I projecting? I’ve sang plenty of praise and criticism both for Grier’s work. You’re the one who’s only ever on one side of the argument.

Edmundson and Lyubushkin both just got over $3M and at least 3 years of term on the open market. There’s no reason to believe Ceci, who by all accounts had negative value at $3M on an expiring deal, has as much value as them. And he would need to have substantially MORE to get a 2nd, as they only got 3rds. They prove the point that the 2nd is absurd.
You're projecting my absolute certainty about what Ceci will return. I told you I don't know but it's worth "buying" the lottery ticket to find out especially when we're getting paid to do so.

Value in the offseaon does not equal value at the deadline for expiring contracts. A team acquiring Ceci now has foreclosed $3.25M in cap space for the entire season but if they accrue space until the deadline they can effectively add him for a fraction of that cap hit. Contending teams can and will pay draft picks for this advantage.

This trade is a free draft pick to acquire our new best defenseman to be our top pairing RD and a veteran leader for the first 5 months of the season before we turn him into another draft pick. No clue why any Sharks fan would complain about that. This is exactly the kind of move a team in our position should be pursuing.

Reactions: 209

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Side note: Ceci played 20 mins/gm and had 25 points with ZERO PP time. That’s pretty damn good. In that time, he was +12 (3rd among oiler D) and took only 7 minor penalties all year.

I haven’t watched him that close but his numbers are pretty solid. I’m not sure there wasn’t a market for him (hence low return) and I’m not sure that on the sharks, with some pp time and 22nd/gm, he could see his value rise.

Imagine a season of 22mins, 35+ pts. If he has a good year (like granlund last year) he’s have solid deadline value.

I don’t mind this deal.
These numbers are a bit misleading, Ceci has the offensive IQ of a grapefruit - he's a play killer in the O-zone. However, he was maligned often because of the Nurse-Ceci pairing, those two brought out the absolute worst in each other. When away from that pairing, he's serviceable as a defensive and PK guy.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Desert Eagle

May 13, 2019
Europe
Very bad trade.
Ceci’s dump costs 2nd. Emberson is our best RHD.
Oilers were in difficult situation and we just get 3rd..
It would be okay without Emberson.
Vanecek, Goodrow, Ceci.. Why Grier helps other teams to jettison their bad contracts for free? He should act like Arizona to accumulate draft picks, not to be a kind person who grabs all bad contracts for free.
I will miss Emberson.

Huge win by Edmonton

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
This is $3M over one year we’re talking here. A 2nd is probably a bit much for that even if Ceci never plays again.

I think a 3rd is reasonable for Ceci and a 3rd is reasonable for Emberson as well. Getting only one of them is not reasonable even if it’s not massively far from it.
I think thats fair in a normal scenario, but given the crunch Edmonton is under I imagine they have been holding out for someone to take this deal all week while teams demanded more. Would be nice for once to have a trade where we feel we got a great deal rather than just okay or bad.

seroes

May 3, 2016
California
I dont really like the deal, but at least we get a decent pick. Ceci is a legit NHL defenseman but that's about it. He will fit right in on our blue line.

Reactions: General Manager

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
Terrible Cody Cici is still the best RHD we have now. This is a win in my book. We gap fill until the rookies make the show, this is the way

Reactions: Shark Finn

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The downside here would be like the Eyssimont deal. Similar return on a waiver wire pick up where we essentially got a free asset but kinda hurt ourselves giving up a "good" young asset who just so happened continued being pretty good.

Ultimately, not consequential enough to care but don't love the players involved. However, liked that he actually made the move.

Reactions: weastern bias

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think thats fair in a normal scenario, but given the crunch Edmonton is under I imagine they have been holding out for someone to take this deal all week while teams demanded more. Would be nice for once to have a trade where we feel we got a great deal rather than just okay or bad.
Except the Oilers would be cap compliant day one with Broberg and Ceci on the roster and Kane on LTIR. Then what?

Edmonton has more leverage here than people like to pretend. Especially since, as devastating as losing Broberg for a 2nd would be, it's not like the Blues signed McDavid to an offer sheet.

Reactions: tiburon12

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This trade is just not a big deal.

Personally I’m glad they got Ceci. He’s better than Emberson, really a lot better, so the team is better now than yesterday.m and will be more to fun to watch. They also have a 3rd and a tradable vet to land something at the deadline.

It’s a win. Not a big win. Not as big a win as many of us, me included, wanted. But it’s a win.

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
any GM can build a team to lose and stockpile high draft picks. It doesn't take a special talent to do that. But when it comes to trades Mike Grier has lost every single one of them except for the Meier trade, which was a wash at best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad