Value of: Shane Pinto to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Wondering what the cost would be to acquire Pinto from Ottawa to Montreal. I know they’re divisional rivals with a strong dislike for each other (fan wise anyway), but the Habs have a need for a top 6 Center with Dach being injured, and have a ton of picks/cap space that could be used to take on a contract. Ottawa needs cap room badly and could acquire a decent return for Pinto while shedding cap. Is there any way to make a reasonable deal that would help both sides?

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
Wondering what the cost would be to acquire Pinto from Ottawa to Montreal. I know they’re divisional rivals with a strong dislike for each other (fan wise anyway), but the Habs have a need for a top 6 Center with Dach being injured, and have a ton of picks/cap space that could be used to take on a contract. Ottawa needs cap room badly and could acquire a decent return for Pinto while shedding cap. Is there any way to make a reasonable deal that would help both sides?
There just isnt a lot of point in the Sens trading Pinto right now, sure if Montreal is giving something crazy like their unprotected first. but a low first or a few seconds doesnt help them and they dont have the cap space to pick up a player. I mean I suppose if it was Pinto plus a player for a better replacement for that player maybe.

Reactions: Beendair Donedat

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Zero chance he gets traded to Montreal even if the highly unlikely scenario happens where the Sens decide to trade him.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Dach or Guhle. Not really any other deal to be made.
Guhle or another young, ELC good defenseman (Harris???) plus a high draft pick IF all the other more likely options fail for whatever unknown & unlikely reasons. It's going to be very costly if it's Montreal as the trading partner.

I think Pinto will sign relatively (hopefully) soon though. The Senators are looking good without Pinto so far, and Grieg is filling in nicely. I think the pressure has swung back to the Pinto camp now.

Last edited:

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Even then Guhle is a left shooting D isnt he? The Sens already have to many of those and Dach is injured for the year may as well just wait to see if Pinto caves.
What about something based around the 2025 1st (top 10 protected) and Justin Barron heading to Ottawa, if you’re looking for a right shooting defenseman on a cheap contract? Habs could take Brannstrom as well to give you some wiggle room cap wise.

• Haha
Reactions: Pia8988

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
What about something based around the 2025 1st (top 10 protected) and Justin Barron heading to Ottawa, if you’re looking for a right shooting defenseman on a cheap contract? Habs could take Brannstrom as well to give you some wiggle room cap wise.
Don't think this does much for Ottawa. If he's going to Montréal it's gonna hurt a little. Giving up spare parts is not enticing.

They'll sign Pinto. He's part of the core.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Guhle or another young, ELC good defenseman (Harris???) plus a high draft pick IF all the other more likely options fail for whatever unknown & unlikely reasons. It's going to be very costly if it's Montreal as the trading partner.

I think Pinto will sign relatively (hopefully) soon though. The Senators are looking good without Pinto so far, and Grieg is filling in nicely. I think the pressure has swung back to the Pinto camp now.
Harris is nowhere near what it would take, imo. Harris is a good young player but more of a #4/5.
Even then Guhle is a left shooting D isnt he? The Sens already have to many of those and Dach is injured for the year may as well just wait to see if Pinto caves.
Guhle can play both sides and is good enough that I would make the deal - assuming there is no path forward with Pinto. Same as with Dach. If Pinto is willing to sign/doesn't want out, I don't think any deal with MTL makes sense.

No interest at all.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012

Who would trade one of the better young D'S in the NHL for Pinto? And then add on top. Are you for real.

Pinto, Ottawa 1st, and solid D prospect for Ghule more like it. Even then we need Ghule.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Nope.

Who would trqde one of the better young D'S in the NHL for Pinto? And then add on top. Are you for real.
Montreal is a divisional rival and the Senators aren't looking to move Pinto. It's going to have to be an overpay & Montreal can pound sand for all I care. You probably need to look at the words in larger font and the bold IF a little more closely imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Harris is nowhere near what it would take, imo. Harris is a good young player but more of a #4/5.

Guhle can play both sides and is good enough that I would make the deal - assuming there is no path forward with Pinto. Same as with Dach. If Pinto is willing to sign/doesn't want out, I don't think any deal with MTL makes sense.

No interest at all.
Yes, I wasn't thinking of Harris alone and he's likely not the main piece (emphasis on the high draft pick i.e, 1st round with very little protection). Harris is playing on the 2nd pair, but you are right that this is on Montreal, so duly noted.

Last edited:

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
Nope.

Montreal is a divisional rival and the Senators aren't looking to move Pinto. It's going to have to be an overpay & Montreal can pound sand for all I care.
Yea cool. Still let's not get delusional on here. Op asked legit question. Your answer is as delusional as me saying Harris for Tkachuk

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Don't think this does much for Ottawa. If he's going to Montréal it's gonna hurt a little. Giving up spare parts is not enticing.

They'll sign Pinto. He's part of the core.
Not trying to give up spare parts, the other poster had mentioned a right hand shot defenseman - Barron is our most NHL ready right hand shot D on an ELC, just wondered if he was something along with a first that would be something along the lines of what he’d want in a return.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yea cool. Still let's not get delusional on here. Op asked legit question. Your answer is as delusional as me saying Harris for Tkachuk
Guhle for Pinto what it would take from the Habs and Harris + pick doesn't even come close.

Pinto >>> Harris, Tkachuk >>> Guhle

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
It got a little less legit around post #7 imho. I don't see the two teams as likely trading partners - see post #6 and (revised) post #11.

Last edited:

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not trying to give up spare parts, the other poster had mentioned a right hand shot defenseman - Barron is our most NHL ready right hand shot D on an ELC, just wondered if he was something along with a first that would be something along the lines of what he’d want in a return.
I like Barron but he is not an enticing asset for us. We have a ton of offensive talent on D but need more physicality, whereas Barron could only replace one of our two most physical DMen on the right side. And, while I do like Barron, he carries too much risk to really be appealing.

1st would only be appealing if it is limited to top 5 protection.

Ghule for Pinto comes nowhere close. It is as close as me saying Sanderson for Harvey Pinard.
No lol no it's not. Sanderson is not in the same stratosphere as Guhle and Harvey Pinard, while promising, would not be nearly as sought after as Pinto.

I wouldnt trade Guhle for Pinto if I was the Habs, either, but thats the only realistically appealing piece besides Dach.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022
The only way an in-season trade for Pinto would make sense is if it's for a young, impact NHLer making under $2.5M and the acquiring team also takes on Kubalik or Joseph. But the NHLer Ottawa gets back has to have 50+pt potential, this year, to make it worth it.

The Canadiens don't have such a player.

In the summertime, if he were to ask for a trade? Then it gets more interesting since Ottawa would have a ton of cap space. Pinto could be included in a broader deal for a big-name star who's under contract.

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
I like Barron but he is not an enticing asset for us. We have a ton of offensive talent on D but need more physicality, whereas Barron could only replace one of our two most physical DMen on the right side. And, while I do like Barron, he carries too much risk to really be appealing.

1st would only be appealing if it is limited to top 5 protection.

No lol no it's not. Sanderson is not in the same stratosphere as Guhle and Harvey Pinard, while promising, would not be nearly as sought after as Pinto.

I wouldnt trade Guhle for Pinto if I was the Habs, either, but thats the only realistically appealing piece besides Dach.
And that’s fair enough, I can certainly understand that position. Honestly just trying to have a civil discourse, because I think that in a vacuum both teams have a need the other can fill, but getting there may be too difficult. Appreciate your thoughts!

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Would have to be an overpayment. Pinto is projecting to be an excellent 2 way 50-60 point centerman. Those don't grow on trees.

The sens won't want to do quantity trades here for a bunch of 2nd round picks of lesser prospects.

Would probably want to do a 1for1 for an equally valuable young 2 way center...so it seems redundant.

It would need to be a center who can be a top defensive center, but also be a threat to score 20-30 goals who can pop into the top 6 and not look out of place.

I don't think Montreal has that. Maybe Dach? But he's injured all year.

Maybe newhook?

Otherwise no thank you, honestly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad