Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
I wonder if the next CBA might have something in the behaviors clauses. Like a no gambling rule of some sort (at least during the season). I doubt the NHL wants to go though this sort of thing again with another player.

I see it more as a failure of the Senators not protecting their players and having the infrastructure around all these young players to guide them through these types of things - it’s a culture failure from the Sens under Dorion/Melnyck.

Pinto hinted at all the distractions with the team, trades, unsigned players, ownership - it was chaos under Dorion and for sure showing these young players how to avoid gambling suspensions etc was probably very low on their list of priorities or not a priority at all

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

sena

Jul 3, 2024
I see it more as a failure of the Senators not protecting their players and having the infrastructure around all these young players to guide them through these types of things - it’s a culture failure from the Sens under Dorion/Melnyck.

Pinto hinted at all the distractions with the team, trades, unsigned players, ownership - it was chaos under Dorion and for sure showing these young players how to avoid gambling suspensions etc was probably very low on their list of priorities or not a priority at all
They know the team does not need to tell them. Its on Pinto not Dorion

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder if the next CBA might have something in the behaviors clauses. Like a no gambling rule of some sort (at least during the season). I doubt the NHL wants to go though this sort of thing again with another player.
The next CBA might address the gambling issue in more depth than it does now in order to clarify what the "rules" will be going forward. I think both the league and the NHLPA would want more clarity and certainty.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
It could be that he’s an athlete, not a computer nerd, and doesn’t know about, or have interest in VPNs. ;)

In the end, if the rules are that you have to be physically present in the state when you place a bet, then a VPN wouldn’t really help since he still wouldn’t be present. It would change the issue from proxy betting, to placing bets from outside the state, but if still illegal who knows if he would still be suspended.

Anyhooo, it’s over, he looks and sounds motivated, he’s stoked to get going, and threw some love out the for Josh as well.

Only a short 2.5 months to go!
We should not forget the "revenue" issue as various jurisdictions want to protect the revenues they earn from gambling.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The next CBA might address the gambling issue in more depth than it does now in order to clarify what the "rules" will be going forward. I think both the league and the NHLPA would want more clarity and certainty.
Seems like they should of been aware, if have to send out a reminder.

NHL players "are being reminded of the restrictions by the league" when it comes to gambling in the wake of Senators C Shane Pinto's 41-game suspension for a violation of the policy. Players are "being warned about the following when it comes to gambling -- don't share your account; don't place bets with third parties; and if you do a prop, it'll be treated the same as betting on a hockey game."

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
That was all on Pinto, and he knows and accepts that. It's that he was gambling illegally, that's it.

He's allowed to gamble on football, or golf, or basketball, or baseball, etc. as much as he wants as long as he's doing it legally.

Now, gambling itself has become an issue with how it's being forced down everyones throats, that definitely should be corrected though that ship has sailed.

The team doesn't/shouldn't need to guide these kids with what is and isn't legal with betting sites, they have their rules and restrictions, and they are given all of these when signing any contract.

When these guys sign a contract they are very clearly given the rules and restrictions regarding gambling pertaining to the league, no betting on any hockey, etc. I wouldn't think that they are giving or including the legalities of betting or betting sites; IE proxy betting, as that's a basic law pertaining to gambling in general, not the league. I don't think that is something the league would need to cover.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That was all on Pinto, and he knows and accepts that. It's that he was gambling illegally, that's it.

He's allowed to gamble on football, or golf, or basketball, or baseball, etc. as much as he wants as long as he's doing it legally.

Now, gambling itself has become an issue with how it's being forced down everyones throats, that definitely should be corrected though that ship has sailed.

The team doesn't/shouldn't need to guide these kids with what is and isn't legal with betting sites, they have their rules and restrictions, and they are given all of these when signing any contract.

When these guys sign a contract they are very clearly given the rules and restrictions regarding gambling pertaining to the league, no betting on any hockey, etc. I wouldn't think that they are giving or including the legalities of betting or betting sites; IE proxy betting, as that's a basic law pertaining to gambling in general, not the league. I don't think that is something the league would need to cover.
What's interesting, is that it seems no charges were pressed against him, the only repercussions came from the league.

It's such a weird thing to come down hard on, he was using his own account, so it doesn't jeopardize the trust in the league (he isn't betting on hockey, (that presumably can and has been confirmed) so it really seems to be more about pissing off a financial partner (they can get fined for allowing proxy betting) and bringing a spot light on the league from legislators. Meanwhile Patrick Kane is arrested for assaulting and robing a cabbie, and no league penalty. Corvo assaults a waitress, no league penalty that I'm aware of. But, I guess since assault doesn't tend to affect multi million dollar partnerships, it's all good.

I suspect the league has boilerplate language with follow local laws wrt gambling since every state has it's own nuance, and Pinto may have just been a dummy and not realized Proxy betting was illegal (it's apparently legal in vegas, funny enough).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

I hope so. A simple, don't use those sites or gamble on sports during the season should be enough. I mean, these guys can't even ride motorcycles anymore because of the danger, so sports betting should be an easy little tidbit to tack in there.

Reactions: Cosmix

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I hope so. A simple, don't use those sites or gamble on sports during the season should be enough. I mean, these guys can't even ride motorcycles anymore because of the danger, so sports betting should be an easy little tidbit to tack in there.
Didn't know this. Did that come in the wake of Luc Bourdon?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Gambling issues can really affect the integrity the game and cost the league a lot of money. Punishing people like Pinto isn’t because he is a bad person. There are lots of bad players. Players that treat their mom’s like dirt, neglect their kids, pee on their neighbours roses for fun, treat their girlfriends like dirt. Many of these and other things may feel worse on the scale of how bad should we consider this action. But that’s not the scale gambling is punished on.

Beech

Nov 25, 2020
Yes. Iirc, there's also some stuff about things like downhill skiing and a few other activities, but I haven't looked into it in awhile.
It goes way back Nac. I first heard of restrictions on out-of-sport activity in the very early 1980's.

A pitcher for the Expos who was also a Yankees, had all sorts of clauses in his contract against all sorts of physical activity. I wish I can remember his name. It may have been Ray Burris. They did allow him to sky jump (Not kidding).

But that is individual contracts.

I guess you can more these restrictions global.

There is an article on teh Washington post about restrictions on athletes.. Pay site though

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It goes way back Nac. I first heard of restrictions on out-of-sport activity in the very early 1980's.

A pitcher for the Expos who was also a Yankees, had all sorts of clauses in his contract against all sorts of physical activity. I wish I can remember his name. It may have been Ray Burris. They did allow him to sky jump (Not kidding).

But that is individual contracts.

I guess you can more these restrictions global.

There is an article on teh Washington post about restrictions on athletes.. Pay site though

I haven't followed baseball for awhile, but there definitely was something severely restricting pitchers, iirc. Got to protect those throwing arms.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

The back half has big "kid comes home from university for the summer making a home movie" vibes.

So many of the classics. The old basement bedroom. Showing off the sports awards and memoribilia. Cramped camera angles with overexposed lighting on faces. The awkward comments.

Reactions: BigRig4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I believe Perron said that Shane relinquished #57 to Perron as that is the # he's always worn. Wonder what new # Shane will pick.
Ya he did, as Perron and CiH guys were joking what it was going to cost Perron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad