Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You are missing the point.

The issue the NHL had, according to him, is that he was proxy betting (his friends placed bets on his account) which is illegal.

He could not place bets himself because he isn't a canadian citizen so couldn't place bets on canadian sites, and geo blocking prevents you from placing bets outside of the state which you are registered your US account in. His work around was proxy betting (bad).

I'm wondering if a VPN could have allowed him to use his own account without proxy betting, and whether that is legal or just brings forth a different issue. If NY state says using a VPN to place bets while out of state even though you're a ordinary resident of NY state, then maybe he'd have been nailed for a different issue, Idk.

What I'm not asking is could he have used a VPN to hide his gambling activity.
I would bet he wouldn't have been suspended if he'd simply been able to use a VPN, but I doubt it's possible and that's potentially part of why he did what he did. VPN's aren't fool proof. It may be because of the countries I route through, but I find myself locked out of things sometimes, like blu-ray.com forum for example, or other sites saying something like they can tell that I'm using a VPN and they don't allow that. I think, like Pinto said, proxy betting is illegal and it was why he was punished. It's more likely to be enforced by the NHL with a suspension imo even if both scenario's were illegal in NY State. Betting through VPN's would seem like pretty low hanging fruit to me, but I could be wrong. Interesting question.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I would bet he wouldn't have been suspended if he'd simply been able to use a VPN, but I doubt it's possible and that's potentially part of why he did what he did. VPN's aren't fool proof. It may be because of the countries I route through, but I find myself locked out of things sometimes, like blu-ray.com forum for example, or other sites saying something like they can tell that I'm using a VPN and they don't allow that. I think, like Pinto said, proxy betting is illegal and it was why he was punished. It's more likely to be enforced by the NHL with a suspension imo even if both scenario's were illegal in NY State. Betting through VPN's would seem like pretty low hanging fruit to me, but I could be wrong. Interesting question.
A quick google search suggests lots of people do use VPNs to access sites like Draftkings and other gambling sites, but not without some hiccups. They can blacklist IP addresses known to be associated with VPNs, and can use the time zone your browser sends to see if there is a mismatch, among other things, Golden Jet suggested there is some other meta data they can use to geo locate you as well. He may have still gotten in trouble just for a different reason, I'm not sure what the laws are wrt online gambling, and while they likely don't often prosecute for something like placing a bet from a location where you can legally gamble but isn't the location of the site, they may still go after him since the league has a partnership with these sites, and the sites can get finned if they don't ensure all wagers were placed legally.

Reactions: BonHoonLayneCornell

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
A quick google search suggests lots of people do use VPNs to access sites like Draftkings and other gambling sites, but not without some hiccups. They can blacklist IP addresses known to be associated with VPNs, and can use the time zone your browser sends to see if there is a mismatch, among other things, Golden Jet suggested there is some other meta data they can use to geo locate you as well. He may have still gotten in trouble just for a different reason, I'm not sure what the laws are wrt online gambling, and while they likely don't often prosecute for something like placing a bet from a location where you can legally gamble but isn't the location of the site, they may still go after him since the league has a partnership with these sites, and the sites can get finned if they don't ensure all wagers were placed legally.
Ya the whole partnership thing is something I'd kind of forgotten about in general. The League and the sites working together could be a factor that would lead to him getting busted, but personally, if I had to guess, I can't see them treating that the same as proxy betting.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Besides IP address
They use GPS if on, and cell tower triangulation or wi-fi triangulation
So VPN likely wouldn’t work.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Besides IP address
Ya makes sense. I've also read that most VPN's store logs, so theoretically they could provide a detailed report of the ins and outs of where the traffic originated from and travelled.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Besides IP address
Depends what you mean by work. There are lots of people that use VPNs to get around geo blocks for betting sites, at least if the long list of google results of people discussing doing just that, and the VPN sites advertising it as a use case are to be trusted.

They may still be able to flag his account for suspicious activity, and giving his public profile, it makes it very easy to confirm his actual location, they would still know he was using it from Canada. Is that something the league would come down hard on though, idk.

Reactions: BigRig4

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Depends what you mean by work. There are lots of people that use VPNs to get around geo blocks for betting sites, at least if the long list of google results of people discussing doing just that, and the VPN sites advertising it as a use case are to be trusted.

They may still be able to flag his account for suspicious activity, and giving his public profile, it makes it very easy to confirm his actual location, they would still know he was using it from Canada. Is that something the league would come down hard on though, idk.
Someone said or read somewhere they are more diligent with athletes.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He's gonna take all the shut down matchups. When Giroux is done he will take all the right handed draws too. I actually think he's a better fit with Tkachuk as well, so good chance he has the best winger on his line too. He's just scratching the surface he's quite easily the 3rd most important forward on this team.

Norris and Batherson really seemed to have nice chemistry - wonder if it’s a rwal
Thing

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023

Wouldn't that also be part of the terms and conditions of the account (the way proxy betting is)? I suspect he would've received the same penalty as both would be infractions of the terms and conditions.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
When you say locked out of Blu-ray.com do you mean accessing the site or becoming a member?

NordVpn .. offers obfuscated servers to hide that info from being sniffed in the metadata.
Other VPN providers offer obfuscated servers as well. (Surfshark, ExpressVPN, IPVanish)
I recently started using NordVPN

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014

Yeah I think I read a report early on when it first happened that they basically knew he was in Ottawa the day the bet was placed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why are people digging so deep into this?

You are not allowed to have someone else bet for you. His account is monitored more closely because of his status and the money he would be betting.

Got caught.
I don't think there's much digging into it, I just asked why he chose to proxy bet (illegal) rather than use a VPN (idk if it's illegal). Might just be a case that he didn't know what he was doing was illegal, and isn't particularly tech savvy (not that a VPN requires tech savvy...) so asking his buddy to place his bets was the first thing that came to mind to solve his apparent issue of not being able to place his bets while in Canada...

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why are people digging so deep into this?

You are not allowed to have someone else bet for you. His account is monitored more closely because of his status and the money he would be betting.

Got caught.
we know what a good time looks like lol

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Pinto looks more manly in this video, all the Sens I’ve seen this off season look chiseled and ready to go. I always think of the season EK came in when he wasn’t a young man anymore he was fully grown man and how dominate he was even for Erik Karlsson. If this thing comes together like these players are planning for these guys are going to be really really good. They may end up being a 95 point low seeded playoff team, but a damn good 95 point team.

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
When you say locked out of Blu-ray.com do you mean accessing the site or becoming a member?

NordVpn .. offers obfuscated servers to hide that info from being sniffed in the metadata.
Other VPN providers offer obfuscated servers as well. (Surfshark, ExpressVPN, IPVanish)
I recently started using NordVPN
Interesting, IP Vanish is the one I use. It seems to be signing in to my existing account and accessing the forum section on blu-ray.com that is the issue. I can navigate the rest of the site fine, but if I try to sign in or go to the forum, It tells me my IP has been blocked by the administrator.

It happens rarely with other sites and I mostly only use it when I'm torrenting, so I just move on or pause and disconnect if I really want to access what I'm after. I am also usually connecting to some random overseas country like Estonia, so that could be the issue more than simply using a vpn. Never bothered to test that theory.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Interesting, IP Vanish is the one I use. It seems to be signing in to my existing account and accessing the forum section on blu-ray.com that is the issue. I can navigate the rest of the site fine, but if I try to sign in or go to the forum, It tells me my IP has been blocked by the administrator.

It happens rarely with other sites and I mostly only use it when I'm torrenting, so I just move on or pause and disconnect if I really want to access what I'm after. I am also usually connecting to some random overseas country like Estonia, so that could be the issue more than simply using a vpn. Never bothered to test that theory.
Are you using Android or Windows? What is the Scramble option (Legacy v3 IPVanish app)?
There are also instructions for Android available. I'd give that a try with what you are doing.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It could be that he’s an athlete, not a computer nerd, and doesn’t know about, or have interest in VPNs. ;)

In the end, if the rules are that you have to be physically present in the state when you place a bet, then a VPN wouldn’t really help since he still wouldn’t be present. It would change the issue from proxy betting, to placing bets from outside the state, but if still illegal who knows if he would still be suspended.

Anyhooo, it’s over, he looks and sounds motivated, he’s stoked to get going, and threw some love out the for Josh as well.

Only a short 2.5 months to go!

Reactions: LiseL

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It could be that he’s an athlete, not a computer nerd, and doesn’t know about, or have interest in VPNs. ;)

In the end, if the rules are that you have to be physically present in the state when you place a bet, then a VPN wouldn’t really help since he still wouldn’t be present. It would change the issue from proxy betting, to placing bets from outside the state, but if still illegal who knows if he would still be suspended.

Anyhooo, it’s over, he looks and sounds motivated, he’s stoked to get going, and threw some love out the for Josh as well.

Only a short 2.5 months to go!
There's an argument that Proxy betting is a bigger deal, since it introducing a wealth of potential fraud issues, particularly wrt money laundering (not that Pinto was money laundering). Disguising your location to get around geo blocks that are designed to insure you aren't betting from a state where gambling is illegal, but still being entirely truthful that you are the one placing the bet seems like a lesser issue.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
There's an argument that Proxy betting is a bigger deal, since it introducing a wealth of potential fraud issues, particularly wrt money laundering (not that Pinto was money laundering). Disguising your location to get around geo blocks that are designed to insure you aren't betting from a state where gambling is illegal, but still being entirely truthful that you are the one placing the bet seems like a lesser issue.
True, though the very act of using a VPN would also seem to indicate that you were trying to circumvent gambling rules.

Either way, our boy is safe now and has hopefully learned his lesson!

To change the subject, we were 21-17-3 in the 41 games Pinto played last year, which translates to 90 points, all with sucky goaltending. Reason for hope for 24-25!!
Boom! Love to see that summer positivity :)

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I wonder if the next CBA might have something in the behaviors clauses. Like a no gambling rule of some sort (at least during the season). I doubt the NHL wants to go though this sort of thing again with another player.

Reactions: Cosmix

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad