Player Discussion Shane Pinto (C) - PART 2

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Well this is f***ing concerning. How about you don’t let him get signed by another team that could potentially f*** up your cap structure even when you match the offer.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site

Why not try, if you're the agent? You know Ottawa is likely to match, so if you can get another team to offer what you've been asking for in your negotiations (or a lot more), then great.

I still think it's unlikely we see one - it's just such a hard tool to use. The other team has to offer enough so that Ottawa might actually consider not matching, but what you offer also has to be a number you can make work and live with. And then after you make your offer, you have to wait up to seven days after it's been accepted - while the rest of the league gets its summer business done - to see if you're on the hook for the money.

Add in the fact that only seven teams currently have the picks to make an offer over the $6.87M threshold (and anything below that I don't think has any chance of going unmatched), and you start to really decrease the odds of it happening.

But who knows - Pinto's good, and teams like young centres.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Why not try, if you're the agent? You know Ottawa is likely to match, so if you can get another team to offer what you've been asking for in your negotiations (or a lot more), then great.

I still think it's unlikely we see one - it's just such a hard tool to use. The other team has to offer enough so that Ottawa might actually consider not matching, but what you offer also has to be a number you can make work and live with. And then after you make your offer, you have to wait up to seven days after it's been accepted - while the rest of the league gets its summer business done - to see if you're on the hook for the money.

Add in the fact that only seven teams currently have the picks to make an offer over the $6.87M threshold (and anything below that I don't think has any chance of going unmatched), and you start to really decrease the odds of it happening.

What must a team pay if they offer sheet Pinto at over the $6.87M threshold?

Did a search and found this:

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
What must a team pay if they offer sheet Pinto at over the $6.87M threshold?

First, second and third, unless it's over $9.16M.

The teams who have the picks to do it are Buffalo, Detroit, Montreal, Nashville, NYI, Philly and Seattle.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Boston would love to add him
1719785529545.png

We don't have to worry the way we draft

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Right, but then why would a team even make the offer when Ottawa is almost certainly going to match?

It's only worth it to make the offer if you think Ottawa might not match, and Ottawa only considers not matching once the AAV gets silly.
Ottawa could be in a pickle and it could prevent Ottawa from making other moves to improve their team or force them to make other moves they'd rather not. If Ottawa wanted to pay Pinto 5+ with term it would be done. Why don't they .. imo because they want the flexibility to do other things.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Ottawa could be in a pickle and it could prevent Ottawa from making other moves to improve their team. If Ottawa wanted to pay Pinto 5+ with term it would be done. Why don't they .. imo because they want the flexibility to do other things.

I get all that, but you have to look at it from the perspective of the other team. f***ing things up for Ottawa is not enough of a reason to do something like this.

You only do it if (1) you love Pinto, (2) you are prepared to pay Pinto well above market value and (3) you believe Ottawa might not match your offer.

So basically, a team has to say "we're willing to pay Pinto over a $6.8M AAV and we're comfortable waiting 7 days - during which we lose all our flexibility to maneuver - to see if Ottawa declines to match."

I'm not saying it won't happen - Carolina and Montreal have done it - but there's a reason why it happens so infrequently.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I get all that, but you have to look at it from the perspective of the other team. f***ing things up for Ottawa is not enough of a reason to do something like this.

You only do it if (1) you love Pinto, (2) you are prepared to pay Pinto well above market value and (3) you believe Ottawa might not match your offer.

So basically, a team has to say "we're willing to pay Pinto over a $6.8M AAV and we're comfortable waiting 7 days - during which we lose all our flexibility to maneuver - to see if Ottawa declines to match."

I'm not saying it won't happen - Carolina and Montreal have done it - but there's a reason why it happens so infrequently.
could be right

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The only way i would consider not matching a offersheet is if the offersheet enters a 1st round pick territory and the team offersheeting him is projected to be bottom 10 next season.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Cap friendly has Shane Pinto listed as RFA 10.2
And it also says
"

Who can an offer sheet be submitted to?​

An Offer Sheet can be submitted to any player who meets the following criteria:
  • The player qualifies as a Group 2 Restricted Free Agent (RFA), or
  • The player qualifies as a Group 4 Restricted Free Agent (RFA)
NOTE: Any free agent player who is designated as a Group 1 or 10.2.c Restricted Free Agent or an Unrestricted Free Agent (UFA) [Groups 3, 5 or 6], are not eligible to receive an Offer Sheet.

So is he even eligible? I trust CF more than Bruce.

Cap Friendly has his expiry status at the end of his current contract as "RFA", whereas at the expiry of his last contract (i.e. last summer) he was a 10.2.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Austria vs Turkey
    KNOCKOUT Austria vs Turkey
    Wagers: 8
    Staked: $30,350.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Brazil vs Colombia
    Brazil vs Colombia
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $14,538.00