Confirmed with Link: Shane Doan named Special Advisor to the General Manager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Yes. Most superstars think long and hard about who the Assistant to the General Manager is before they decide if they want to sign with a team.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yeah, I get that.

My point, in a roundabout way, was that really, this is no worse than Spezza's hiring and what he brought. It's not just a token move.
I think it's a move to maybe make Matthews more comfortable staying here since everyone says he was so close to Dubas.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Remember how some local reporters were linking Matthews re-signing based on who the GM was?

Well what about the assistant GM and a close personal friend of Matthews and his boyhood idol growing up?

Reactions: BallardEra

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
Yes. Most superstars think long and hard about who the Assistant to the General Manager is before they decide if they want to sign with a team.

When that Assistant to the General Manager is your childhood idol I think they do think about that if they decide to sign there.

Reactions: RomanianLeafs

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think it's a move to maybe make Matthews more comfortable staying here since everyone says he was so close to Dubas.
I think he was actually very close with Spezza. I don't think he had much more than a professional relationship with Dubas. I think the people Matthews has generally been closest to in the organization have been Marleau, Marner, Bunting, Rielly, Spezza, and Freddie.

Reactions: ACC1224

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Remember how some local reporters were linking Matthews re-signing based on who the GM was?

Well what about the assistant GM and a close personal friend of Matthews and his boyhood idol growing up?

No.

They were questioning if he'd re-sign if he doesn't like the vision of the new GM, not if they are friends.

Also, it was teammates, not reporters.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Cool? Probably replaces Spezza as a ATGM. I wonder if maybe he could take over the Marlies GM job if/when Hardy is let go?

Reactions: Menzinger

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
You realize they likely had no input on this decision right?
I guess my hope was that we learned our lesson from giving these guys the Sun and the moon. It’s about the Leafs, not the core 4. Is that not what Brad just told us.

Now, instead we hire 34’s idol. Cool.

Does it mean anything - who knows? However, optically - it looks poor imo.

We are going to roll it back with the same bloated contracts, same unfit coach and a new GM.

Colour me unimpressed.

Reactions: ShaneFalco

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

now if they could only get Justin Bieber to drive the bus.............

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I guess my hope was that we learned our lesson from giving these guys the Sun and the moon. It’s about the Leafs, not the core 4. Is that not what Brad just told us.

Does it mean anything - who knows? However optically looks poor imo.

We are going to roll it back with the same bloated contracts, same unfit coach and a new GM.

Colour me unimpressed.
Wiser's clap

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There probably is a sweet spot between Shane Doan and the insufferable nu males Dubas liked to hire. The complaining is going to be epic over this one. At least he has actually worked in the Coyotes' front office for several seasons.
Who is going to complain?

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
When that Assistant to the General Manager is your childhood idol I think they do think about that if they decide to sign there.
You can't be serious.

Why would Matthews do that?

Is he going to be hanging out with Doan on weekends? Skating with him in the morning? Going to the gym with him? Night clubs and Raptors games? Having the occasional beer on his front porch?

Most players have a long list of considerations, and who the Assistant to the GM is has got to be near the bottom.

How about things like:
Salary
Term
Chance to win
Endorsements
Culture
Entertainment (Raptors/Bieber)
Life after hockey
The Coach
Team mates
Being close to Mom and Dad
Being close to friends

Reactions: ACC1224

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I don't hate the move but I chuckled at that.

Some have linked Shane Doan as a possibility to the Leafs, considering his ties to Treliving from their days together with the Phoenix/Arizona Coyotes ...

News broke on Thursday that the Toronto Maple Leafs will soon add the veteran savvy of Arizona Coyotes’ legend Shane Doan to their front office.

Doan will depart an Arizona team where he has served as chief hockey development offer since 2021 and played from 1997 until 2017. He holds franchise records for games played (1,540), points (972), and goals (402).

Doan, who gained experience as an executive with Canada during their successful World Championship bid, replaces fellow NHL legend Jason Spezza as assistant GM.

Spezza walked out on Toronto in the wake of the team’s sudden dismissal of Kyle Dubas, who joined the Pittsburgh Penguins as president of hockey operations on June 1.

Brad Treliving, who left the Calgary Flames after his contract at the end of the season, was quickly named Dubas’s replacement in Toronto. Before he served as Flames’ GM, Treliving was Coyotes’ assistant GM for most of Doan’s playing career.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

Does it mean anything - who knows? However, optically - it looks poor imo.

Colour me unimpressed.
I actually agree with you somewhat, at least about wanting to make this a team of 23 and not a core 4 -- like Brad said.

It's also the start of June and the playoffs aren't even finished yet. Still lots of time.

Also, we should consider the very real possibility that they like Doans personality and qualifications and believe he's going to bring a lot more to the org. other than being buddy-buddy with 34. Actually, if I'm guessing that's likey just icing on the cake for them.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I actually agree with you somewhat, at least about wanting to make this a team of 23 and not a core 4 -- like Brad said.

It's also the start of June and the playoffs aren't even finished yet. Still lots of time.

Also, we should consider the very real possibility that they like Doans personality and qualifications and believe he's going to bring a lot more to the org. other than being buddy-buddy with 34. Actually, if I'm guessing that's likey just icing on the cake for them.

Tre was in Arizona forever. He knows doan well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad