Confirmed with Link: Shane Doan named Special Advisor to the General Manager

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
He was in charge of player development in AZ so might have a more involved on ice role. Wickenheiser is technically that for us right now but I don't know how often she was actually performing that duty

AustonMarner

Sep 3, 2018
He's our new Spezza. Even if we have no clue what the heck he does, there's no real harm in the move. Spezza was cutting his teeth under Dubas. Doan will do the same under Treliving. Who knows...he may be a rising star in the NHL management world, the same way Spezza was being considered as he was learning the trade.

This is a bit of a clueless comment sorry...

Spezza was hired as a special assistant to the GM virtually straight out of playing hockey

Doan will be legitimate AGM & has been out of hockey since 2017 all the while gaining managerial experience for Arizona and Team Canada

Not really similar circumstances at all...

as Pure as Evil

Sep 18, 2011
Hell, Alberta
Maybe its a position for former players to get a foot in the door for transitioning to a management role.

Nothing has to be absolute but i fail to see how its a issue in any way

Reactions: SprDaVE

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
This is a bit of a clueless comment sorry...

Spezza was hired as a special assistant to the GM virtually straight out of playing hockey

Doan will be legitimate AGM & has been out of hockey since 2017 all the while gaining managerial experience for Arizona and Team Canada

Not really similar circumstances at all...
Yeah, I get that.

My point, in a roundabout way, was that really, this is no worse than Spezza's hiring and what he brought. It's not just a token move.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Great... I am out of the loop, but what value does he bring? Can he negotiate better deals with our players? Is he a cap God? What has he done elsewhere?
He brings the right mentality to an organization that lacks character, grit, toughness and the appropriate style of leadership necessary. He will have an influence on the players and probably have an input on roster changes as well. It's a cultural change happening in TO and I love it.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I’d rather Doan 15 years ago.
1686257416123.png

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
If anything it gives Matthews even more leverage if that’s even possible.
Think it’s the opposite. Doan is highly respected, played the right style of hockey.

Maybe he’ll rub off on someone who idolized him growing up, and help change this shitty culture.

Trading a top 5 player in the league isn’t the way to go.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

shane_doan.jpg

Shane Doan, the long-time Arizona Coyotes captain, will be joining the Toronto Maple Leafs front office alongside new general manager Brad Treliving, Sportsnet can confirm.

Sportsnet 590 The Fan's Nick Kypreos and ESPN's Kevin Weekes were first to report the connection between Doan and the Maple Leafs. A timeline for when Doan will join the Maple Leafs or what role he will hold was not immediately known.
If he's the fixer to make 34 happy his start date should have been yesterday not immediately unknown..............

probably.......

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Well thought out, reasoned posts full of valuable and relevant insights that help illuminate and enlighten.

You sir, are a legend. Keep up the great work. 👍🏻

Well thought out, reasoned posts full of valuable and relevant insights that help illuminate and enlighten.

You sir, are a legend. Keep up the great work. 👍🏻
Yes, let’s say publicly it’s not about the core 4. Then you hire his idol.

I’m finding it hard to root for Matthews, Marner and Nylander if this what they are about.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sneaky move to help retain Matthews :laugh:

Matthews congratulates Doan on retirement​

Maple Leafs center pays tribute to 'childhood idol' over Twitter​

1686258109897.png

Toronto Maple Leafs center Auston Matthews grew up in Scottsdale, Arizona, watching Shane Doan play for the Arizona Coyotes. Shortly after Doan retired Wednesday, the reigning Calder Trophy winner congratulated the former Coyotes forward on Twitter.

"My childhood idol growing up," Matthews tweeted. "Amazing player and an even better person. Congrats on an unbelievable career Doaner!"

Matthews became a Coyotes fan at an early age and referred to Doan as his idol one day after the Coyotes announced they would not re-sign their captain of 13 seasons. He had a poster of Doan on his bedroom wall, skated with him during the offseason and took the opening faceoff against him when the Maple Leafs played at the Coyotes on Dec. 23, 2016, Matthews' first NHL game in Arizona.
It also was the night when Doan scored his 400th NHL goal in his 1,500th game.

"I loved him growing up," Matthews said June 20. "He was my idol. Then getting to know him, he's such an unbelievable person. As good as he is on the ice, the person he is off the ice really exemplifies everything about him. I'm pretty sad to see it, but he gives it his all and he's been with that organization for 21 years and he's made a big impact on and off the ice."

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Yes, let’s say publicly it’s not about the core 4. Then you hire his idol.

I’m finding it hard to root for Matthews, Marner and Nylander if this what they are about.
You realize they likely had no input on this decision right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad