GDT: SF - SWE vs CZE May 25, 2024

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Congrats to the Czechs and Czechia fans. I'm hoping that Canada makes it to the final, because you have to beat the final boss that features in that final each year or else it wouldn't be the same. I'm usually rooting for the underdog, which would be SUI, but a better final would be CAN vs CZE. I think CZE would beat SUI at this point, regardless of that prelim stage loss result, so let's have a more interesting match as the final. SUI is a very good team this year and I hope that they get the bronze.

Hihglights are up for others like me who missed most of the match:

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013
I wouldn't say swedes are missing that much more players then Czech + they have their three best Ds here,.so that's a huge boost over the other teams.

We are of course almost at full strength too yeah. Maybe except for the D

But the point was, that Sweden at full strength looks so much stronger on paper then we at full strength. So it is amazing to defeat them 7:3 that's all

And I am still pissed about not being invited to that NHL tournament. I think it was disrespectful, no matter if we could or could not bring a full NHL team.

Czechs and Swiss should be there too, period
Swedens biggest problem this tournament was zero offensive minded centers, as a result they couldn’t get their edge wingers working. Not everyone is Nylander who can do it all on his own. I still think Lindberg would’ve been a better option than Linus Johansson. That way they would’ve had another option in the top 6 if the lines weren’t clicking offensively.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Just a different culture.

When it comes to spending money on hockey, North Americans are completely on another level.
Money is never the problem in North America yeah. Thats why they have the resourcss to keep being the best. I agree with you. A lot of Europeans don't have a lot of money but we spend it on something we truly love and are passionef about. The atmosphere because of the love and passion is incredible. Finnish hockey fans are kinda lame, but football fans are absolutely crazy.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Money is never the problem in North America yeah. Thats why they have the resourcss to keep being the best. I agree with you. A lot of Europeans don't have a lot of money but we spend it on something we truly love and are passionef about. The atmosphere because of the love and passion is incredible. Finnish hockey fans are kinda lame, but football fans are absolutely crazy.

Well, it’s part of the problem when it comes to passionate fans.

The people with the money aren’t usually the people who drink the most and make the most noise.

They’re the type of people that like sushi with their hockey.

In any event, I think the European arena experience is much more lively and entertaining.

CanadaIsIrrelevant

Mar 20, 2011

When it comes to spending money on hockey, North Americans are completely on another level.

I’ve been to the WCs and always had a good time. It’s a fun tournament.
North American fans when something happens: oooooOOOOOOHh
Missed shot: AAaaaahh!

European fans: sings songs and have tifos and go nuts.

EK47

Jukka Jalonen should be in all the hall of fames.
Feb 7, 2013

I’ve been to the WCs and always had a good time. It’s a fun tournament.
I’m usually a very pro NA guy, but european fan culture in sports blows North american fan culture to pieces. I mean you can spend like 20 $ on a game between Hammarby - Djurgården and get a world class fan experience in one of the worst football leauges in Europe.

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Well.......................I know who I am hoping for and I REALLY know who anyone not from Canada is hoping for.

I'm 100% certain on that sucker.
That’s not true. I think lots of Czechs want to see a final against Canada, it’s a great rivalry. I think both opponents are very attractive and have excellent rosters in Prague, but a Czech Republic - Canada final to me has more of a ring to it.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Well, it’s part of the problem when it comes to passionate fans.

The people with the money aren’t usually the people who drink the most and make the most noise.

They’re the type of people that like sushi with their hockey.

In any event, I think the European arena experience is much more lively and entertaining.
It is a part of life to cheer for a hometown team you grew up with. In Europe especially. They have long history with a lot of fans.

And this is exactly why Fnnish WHC tournaments sucked. The money. The people who actually are passionate abput the Finnish team couldn't go to the games because it was like over 100 euros a ticket. The stand were full of business people. Such a sad tournament. I remember the "onniset" last year. Just business people watching the game not showing any emotion and just sitting there.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
That’s not true. I think lots of Czechs want to see a final against Canada, it’s a great rivalry. I think both opponents are very attractive and have excellent rosters in Prague, but a Czech Republic - Canada final to me has more of a ring to it.
Canada final would be magical but if we lose another gold to them after Hlinka and U20 I will lose my shit.lol I can't handle all these OT golden goals against.lol

The have both beaten us. I maintain it is very hard to beat a team twice in the same tournament.

At this point, we've played every single contender in the tourney. Swiss play like Swedes. Nucks playing like US. My only hope is that they beat the living shit out of each other.. maybe OT and a full on brawl after the shootout.lol

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Canada final would be magical but if we lose another gold to them after Hlinka and U20 I will lose my shit.lol I can't handle all these OT golden goals against.lol

The have both beaten us. I maintain it is very hard to beat a team twice in the same tournament.

At this point, we've played every single contender in the tourney. Swiss play like Swedes. Nucks playing like US. My only hope is that they beat the living shit out of each other.. maybe OT and a full on brawl after the shootout.lol
Uh uh........................nucks play like nucks. Period

We have a unique style, a classic Canadian style,................................. hard working, a little bit of brawn and a little bit of beauty.

• Haha
Reactions: Czechboy

llwyd

Feb 22, 2006
Helsinki
Well, that must be a first then because normally Canada is public enemy number 1.
Oh, in international hockey about everyone and their third cousin hates Canada - before these latest events I would even support Russia against them, and Sweden easily. It's a soul crushing machine of hockey... :(

Reactions: jj cale

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
Well, that must be a first then because normally Canada is public enemy number 1.
Did you see tons of anti-Canadian rants from Czech fans on this board this year?

I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding on the part of many Canadians: they don’t seem to understand that many European fans react to what they perceive as poor behaviour from Canadian teams when they are losing or even after the end of the third period. Lots of very dirty and unnecessary violence because they can’t take that things are not going their way, like 4 or 5 Canadians hanging up on Vujtek and all beating him up at the same time because they were losing many years ago. People reacted to that behaviour, not the fact that the team was Canada. And over the years, this was a behavioral pattern that only Canada displayed, hence our reactions (at least Czech fans, I cannot speak for other European fan bases). This year Canada has shown none of that and they were received very, very well by the Czech crowd and in articles by the Czech press. It’s really as simple as that. But Canadians don’t seem to understand this explanation and seem to think there is nothing wrong with behaving like violent thugs when they are losing. Which is fine, different perspectives. Canadians complain about European diving sometimes and many European fans probably don’t agree with that, either. I have no issue with these different perspectives but it does bother ne a bit that many Canadians seem to think Czech reactions are somehow biased against Canada for no reason, rather than being reactions to specific behaviour. There is zero I’ll will towards Canadians back home, including the Canadian hockey team if they are a model of sportsmanlike conduct as they have been at this tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad