GDT: SF - CAN vs. SUI May 25, 2024

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Canadians who disrespect the WCs annoy me too.

In most cases they tend to be more casual fans who might tune in for the medal round or the final.

The WCs is a social sports tournament that is endlessly entertaining because it is annual and thus you never know who will be there.

While frustrating for teams with less depth, I find the novelty of different lineups fascinating.

The fan experience and the beer gardens are a lot of fun too. If you wear a Canada jersey or an NHL jersey, plenty of Europeans want to know your opinion on their guys in the league. It’s a very friendly carnival atmosphere, win or lose.

(Hannover was the last one I attended, it’s been awhile)
What a patronising start to a post that ends OK.

Plenty of knowledgeable hockey fans hate the IIHF and the WC format/timing.

There is a long history of friction between Canada and the IIHF.

However, there are a lot of great hockey people there from all over and high level hockey is always fun.

It could be so much better though.

No one likes shootouts but they can’t keep skating the ice into the ground either in a tournament format.
Sure they can. In the elimination games they very much can and should.

And many people seem to love shootouts.

Calendal

May 16, 2016
London, England
If you're European you should be used to the by far worse option of a soccer/football shootout which is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.

Shootouts are just an artifact of a system that requires playoffs in the first place. Proper league games are much more meaningful, of course.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
In the midst of all the heartfelt congratulations from Canadians you single out one or two guys as emblematic.

This is why I don’t have a lot of time for Europeans when it comes to their opinions. They’ve already made them up regardless of what you do or say.

If I stereotyped as vigorously as Europeans do about their own countries based on a few selected posters, they’d all be a bunch of douche bags.
You accuse me of making generalizations about Canadians and then you right away make your own generalization about Europeans. Seems hypocritical and dishonest.

Reactions: Sverra

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Should have went with the younger goalies...these guys are the future and need exposure.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
poo boy berard also in tournaments visiting bench after while. home team at nhl he playing in shelter and in very bad team playing almost 30min game. he monomemtal -54 in nhl saying all. hes right place at least 1 season farm league of sort. he looking lost with men. saying no more.go home berard

sir avgard hocleyprofessor

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
poo boy berard also in tournaments visiting bench after while. home team at nhl he playing in shelter and in very bad team playing almost 30min game. he monomemtal -54 in nhl saying all. hes right place at least 1 season farm league of sort. he looking lost with men. saying no more.go home berard

sir avgard hocleyprofessor
I read this in the voice of the hulk.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Congratulation to Switzerland, the 1st period cost us the game but we did showed a lot resiliency by coming back 2-2 so then we killed another penalty in overtime and then we lost in a shootout which could go either way really so win some lose some that's the way it goes. It was a good game and a good championship it was fun. Good luck to Swiss and Czechia tomorrow, I hope Swiss wins their 1st gold medal of their history they have waited long enough ;)

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
Switzerland is such a joke, can’t believe Canada loses to a team like that
No, any team Canada ever loses to is a joke according to you. This hybris of Canadian fans makes me cringe and is the sole reason why i'd even cheer for Russia or Sweden over you.

When Canada loses, these match threads become unbearable. Guys just have some respect for the final and stay out of those threads, winning team's fans don't want to read about "Canada sending their f team hence they didn't win" few secs after winning gold.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If other countries winning means more people getting into hockey and better competition then people should be happy about it.

Watching Canada play competent teams and lose is way more fun and interesting then watching the Women's worlds which always ends up in a boring U.S vs Canada final.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Tourigny is a good coach but more of a junior hockey coach than a pro hockey coach.
BS.
Dear Hockey Canada:

Never choose a coach who has been contaminated by coaching Arizona!

Sincerely,

Fans who want to win.
Even more BS.

Bear is a great coach. He is the great coach to develop players and to get the most out of a limited amount of talent and time.
You just look for a scapegoat.

Maybe just accept that sometimes the best team doesn't win. Thats part of sports. Thats what makes sport so great that there is this factor of randomness. A goalie who stands on his head. A player who just scores this one goal in that one game.
I know you guys are not really used to this in hockey, because of the best of series. But randomness will allways be there.
And instead of trying to blame a coach or looking for a scapegoat immediately, you should try to accept it.

Yes he made his decisions. Were they the best? Maybe not. But the players had enough chances to end this game during the regular time and OT. But they didn't. And the Swiss played a great game today.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Shootouts are just an artifact of a system that requires playoffs in the first place. Proper league games are much more meaningful, of course.

Like in the Olympics how no one is really concerned about who wins the gold, what's really impressive is who did the best in the qualifying.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Switzerland is such a joke, can’t believe Canada loses to a team like that
Nah Switzerland has become a top nation in hockey, so for you to say this shows how ignorant you are about Swiss hockey. Switzerland is no joke they can compete and win against the top nations.

Yes he made his decisions. Were they the best? Maybe not. But the players had enough chances to end this game during the regular time and OT. But they didn't. And the Swiss played a great game today.
I agree with you 100%. This game wasn't lost in the shootout, Canada had a very good tourney we can't win gold every year

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You just did though:

That’s the whole point.

No, any team Canada ever loses to is a joke according to you. This hybris of Canadian fans makes me cringe and is the sole reason why i'd even cheer for Russia or Sweden over you.

When Canada loses, these match threads become unbearable. Guys just have some respect for the final and stay out of those threads, winning team's fans don't want to read about "Canada sending their f team hence they didn't win" few secs after winning gold.

Yeah, now read the other 95% of Canadian fans wishing sincere congratulations.

The only people talking about the guys that aren’t here are Finnish fans.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Losing is one thing, how is Damon Severson or Owen Power ever an option in the opening rounds of a shootout?

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad