Value of: Seth Jones (50% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Assuming Kessel 7 years retained 1.2mil per year

Good one. And that was $1.2M retained (15%). He also had signing bonus structure

Karlsson was just traded with 4 years left and $1.5M retained (13%). Another contract with signing bonus structure.

I wonder if Karlsson was a trade possibility if he didn't rebound last year? Hawks need this to happen with Jones IMO. From my eye test in the games I've seen, he's not performing well at all. Doesn't hit as much as he should and he turns the puck over more than I would like for a player with his cap hit.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
/thread

7 more years at 9.5. NMC. Their #1. He might still have some gas in the tank for when they're out of the rebuild.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Good one. And that was $1.2M retained (15%). He also had signing bonus structure

Karlsson was just traded with 4 years left and $1.5M retained (13%). Another contract with signing bonus structure.

I wonder if Karlsson was a trade possibility if he didn't rebound last year? Hawks need this to happen with Jones IMO
At this time last year the talks were SJ would have to retain and pay to get rid of him, so I assume that would've been the case if he didn't rebound and stay healthy. And then I'd assume the list of teams that would've wanted him after another poor year would've be so slim that they'd probably be better off keeping the guy.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Really don't see Chicago even looking to trade Jones. Yes he might be slightly overpaid, but how much better does he look if he isn't playing 5 minutes a game more than the next d-man on the club?

Barring him demanded a trade I don't see them looking to trade him anytime soon. Even then they go 50% retainage they aren't adding picks or prospects to the mix to "move" him out.

At 50% retainage there would be every team in the league looking at him. Maybe he wouldn't go to every team, but I'm sure they could find a decent amount of teams he'd be willing to go to where he'd get a good return.

If they can trade young players like Debrincat and Dach during a rebuild , I think the can trade Jones. The problem is it's very difficult. Need more time to pass before this is a possible real story to discuss seriously

At this time last year the talks were SJ would have to retain and pay to get rid of him, so I assume that would've been the case if he didn't rebound and stay healthy. And then I'd assume the list of teams that would've wanted him after another poor year would've be so slim that they'd probably be better off keeping the guy.

Agreed. It's premature to try to create value on him by throwing out a 50% retention narrative. Value gets better yeah but does it get good enough for the Hawks owner to keep paying him 50% of his yearly signing bonus? Doubt it.

If the retention ends up being close to Kessel or Karlsson (13 or 15%), his value is likely still negative and the Hawks would be asked to take on a contract due to the flat cap where so many teams are tight.... especially the contenders who would be somewhat interested.

Reactions: joestevens29

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Hawks do not do this trade as they do not care about salary cap right now. They would not retain much on a 7 year contract

Other teams don’t do this because they don’t want this contract for 7 years. Those teams would require either retention or prospects or picks which Chicago would not feel pressed to serve up

Jones is a good player with a near unmovable contract.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
This is true but it seems like a fantasy. Why? I would like to see a past example of a player traded with 50% retention for 7 more years. And he also has a hefty signing bonus structure that most owners hate.

What is the benchmark in terms of the largest contract traded with term?
I'm assuming nothing close to Jones contract that is left correct? The only thing that makes sense to me is a bad contract going the other way with no retention on Jones. Then the futures are negotiated from that.

If this situation develops, it will end up similar to the Karlsson trade. Some form of retention but certainly not 50% for 7 years. Blackhawks owner would probably not like paying him 50% of his yearly bonus every off season and he is not even with the team.

Whats the longest that a contract has been retained on? 7 years alone makes it an edge case.

If Jones was Lucic level or Gallagher level bad, I could see teams entertaining the idea. But even then, for bad, long contracts, they usually decide to ride with the player (multiple examples) or buyout (parise, suter) rather than trading at 50%

Reactions: Habs Halifax

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
The Hawks will not be anywhere near the cap max for at an absolute minimum 3 years and more likely 4 or even 5 years. If Jones contract were 8x8 &/or he were not on a craptacular team the 2 seasons he has been in Chicago, no one would be bothered by what he is getting paid. Reality is his contract has no bearing on anything the Hawks would want to do in the next 3 or 4 years, he fills a role as a quality partner to pair the numerous LHD prospects the Hawks need to sort through the next couple os seasons, the cap is supposedly going up significantly the next 2 Summers, Jones game likely ages well, and by the time you hit the 5th, 6th, 7th year of his deal his salary will be on the high end of a good middle pairing guy similar to currently him being on the high end of a good (not great) top pairing RHD.

If the Hawks wanted to (and they likely do not), they could retain 1-2 million and get multiple quality assets back. They sure as hell would not be adding assets at half retained

Reactions: Space umpire

ImJustJokinen

Ty Emberson for Hart Ross
Apr 7, 2019
4.75 is going to be what a reliable #4-5D is going to cost as soon as next year.

Jones is. Nurse sure as hell isn't.
Guy has never even cracked 50pts.
He doesn't get PP time to bank easy points, just the last 15 seconds of PP2 so the other guys can rest. He plays against the top guys for a majority of the time.

Nurse is not a low end 1D lol. He’s more of a 4D being paid as a 1D and being played like a 1D when he’s not that, like at all.
Based on what?

Deplorable Lenny

Mar 2, 2017
British Columbia
Seth Jones contract at 50% retained would be $4,750,000 for 7 more years, would he have positive value at this price range or would he require a sweetener, if I were the Canucks id ask for the TBL 1st round pick and our 2023 2nd round pick back although id obviously be hesitant considering how OEL went.

do you think it is a possibility that Jones could be traded?

Edit: I am not saying that the Canucks should trade for Jones, I am just curious of his value, also the reason I brought up the canucks was because they are my favorite team and I was just using them as an example, and again this is not a proposal I am just curious of what his value would be at 50% or at any percentage and what teams would be potentially interested.

Good Job. Easily the worst thread I have ever opened.

That is not an easy task either.

IF and that is a MASSIVE IF, Chicago was stupid enough to retain 30+ million on a contract that they just paid an arm and a leg to acquire 2 years ago, they would not be adding anything. Nevermind a FIRST AND a SECOND???

Absolute madness.

IF somehow Chicago was looking to trade him and willing to take 50% of his contract, AND he was actually willing to move to Vancouver, I think the Canucks would be the ones paying. Several first and second round draft picks MIGHT get it done.

There has never been a trade like this. And likely never will be.

Also it is even more funny that you would "obviously be hesitant" if your team got a top pairing dman for 4.75M AND a first AND a second round pick for literally nothing.

Delusional take and very surprising for even a Canucks fan.

Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it today.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
He doesn't get PP time to bank easy points, just the last 15 seconds of PP2 so the other guys can rest.

That's my point though. Actual #1D get significant PP time almost invariably.

He plays against the top guys for a majority of the time.

That doesn't mean anything. So do Lindell, Pelech, Larsson, and Tanev. They're not #1D either.

Reactions: deleted user

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
Even if a guy is not necessarily worth his contract compared to some other players he can still be a good player and a valuable player for the team he plays for and can still be making that team better. Sometimes saving 1 or 2 million in cap dollars is not worth losing a good player. I don't see why Chicago would want to get rid of him.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Good guy to have during a full blown rebuild, and if Bedard hits the gas out of the gates he could still be valuable to the team in the next few years.

Gotta have some good vet players when the kids mature, and it's not like they're pushing the cap anytime soon.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

IF and that is a MASSIVE IF, Chicago was stupid enough to retain 30+ million on a contract that they just paid an arm and a leg to acquire 2 years ago, they would not be adding anything. Nevermind a FIRST AND a SECOND???

Absolute madness.

IF somehow Chicago was looking to trade him and willing to take 50% of his contract, AND he was actually willing to move to Vancouver, I think the Canucks would be the ones paying. Several first and second round draft picks MIGHT get it done.

Also it is even more funny that you would "obviously be hesitant" if your team got a top pairing dman for 4.75M AND a first AND a second round pick for literally nothing.

Pretty much this.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014

Absolute madness.

Did you just not read the edit???

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Still your edit makes no sense. Why would the hawks retain half and pay to move him. You’d be adding a lot for that.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Still your edit makes no sense. Why would the hawks retain half and pay to move him. You’d be adding a lot for that.
I said at the end at 50% or at any percentage of retention, just tryna gauge his value based off of retention that is all.

Unbiased Fan

May 24, 2019
Not sure toronto does that. Also can’t imagine in any scenario Chicago retains half. Also Seth controls the whole thing
If Buffalo was willing to gut their prospect pool I could see Chicago willing to do it. Honestly Dahlin, Power and Jones might make it a worthwhile trade for both teams

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
He's about to pop off with Bedard on that PP. Worst time for Blackhawks to trade him is now.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014
all you see is Chicago fans complain about the jones contract, imo he is definitely considered a negative asset at most it won't be considered a cap dump if it has some level of retention.
You should close up your hfboards account and go hide.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Jones' contract isn't that bad. Sure a million or so less would be better but meh, caps going up.

Nobody in their right mind is retaining for 7 years. Ideally, if Bedard reaches his potential the team should be a playoff team in 2 years, especially if Korchinski and others develop into good players.

• Haha
Reactions: Lockin17

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018
Jones' contract isn't that bad. Sure a million or so less would be better but meh, caps going up.

Nobody in their right mind is retaining for 7 years. Ideally, if Bedard reaches his potential the team should be a playoff team in 2 years, especially if Korchinski and others develop into good players.
More like 4 years minimum

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
If Buffalo was willing to gut their prospect pool I could see Chicago willing to do it. Honestly Dahlin, Power and Jones might make it a worthwhile trade for both teams
Let’s say that both agree to a deal with half retention. I just don’t see Jones waiving.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad