Value of: Seth Jones (50% retained)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Seth Jones contract at 50% retained would be $4,750,000 for 7 more years, would he have positive value at this price range or would he require a sweetener?

What retention range do you think is acceptable for Jones to be traded for?

do you think it is a possibility that Jones could be traded?

Edit: I am not saying that the Canucks should trade for Jones, I am just curious of his value, also the reason I brought up the canucks was because they are my favorite team and I was just using them as an example, and again this is not a proposal I am just curious of what his value would be at 50% or at any percentage and what teams would be potentially interested.

2nd edit: i took out the portion on what I'd do if I was the Canucks because I feel like it's distracting from the conversation I originally intended this thread to be.

Last edited:

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
well he doesn't seem to be worth his contract and this may be a way to get out of it without having to buy him out.
They don’t really need to get rid of the contract right now though. Best bet for them would be to hold on and hope he finds his game so you can just continue to keep him or sell higher.

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Don't get the feeling from Chicago fans that Jones' contract is an anchor. Paying him a bit too much isn't really a problem for a team throwing out contracts to Perry, Hall, and Foligno to ice a team.

Reactions: banks

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
Don't get the feeling from Chicago fans that Jones' contract is an anchor. Paying him a bit too much isn't really a problem for a team throwing out contracts to Perry, Hall, and Foligno to ice a team.
all you see is Chicago fans complain about the jones contract, imo he is definitely considered a negative asset at most it won't be considered a cap dump if it has some level of retention.

• Haha
Reactions: jellybeans

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
So you want Chicago to pay almost $35 million (retention total), tie up one third of their retention slots for most of the next decade, 'and' toss in a couple of relatively high draft picks ... all to get rid of someone they don't need to or particularly want to get rid of to begin with? Yeah, good luck with that.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
all you see is Chicago fans complain about the jones contract, imo he is definitely considered a negative asset at most it won't be considered a cap dump if it has some level of retention.
All you see is other teams thinking Chicago fans should be complaining about it. Reality is that he’s a very good low end #1, overpaid by a million or so. His contract doesn’t hurt us even a little, and the offer is horrible.

EdzosCrayon

Apr 4, 2013
Yeah, at least for now anyway. At the moment we kind of need him just to hit the cap floor, haha. Maybe in a few years when the team gets to the other side of the rebuild and starts getting competitive again they'll start entertaining the idea of moving him depending on the level of player he is at that point.

Anyway I really shouldn't comment for too long because I'm sincerely not sure if the OP is trolling or not. The only thing that proposal is missing to get full "classic HFBoards" status is bringing in the Coyotes to double retain.

Reactions: Pablo El Perro

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Seth Jones contract at 50% retained would be $4,750,000 for 7 more years, would he have positive value at this price range or would he require a sweetener, if I were the Canucks id ask for the TBL 1st round pick and our 2023 2nd round pick back although id obviously be hesitant considering how OEL went.

At $4.75 he has significant value

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

At 9.5M, yeah. He's very likely not returning much of anything. With 50% retention he suddenly becomes a very positive asset if Chicago ever did entertain holding dead salary for seven years. Saying he'd still require a 1st and 2nd on top of that is downright ridiculous.

It makes even less sense to dump Jones and draft picks when Chicago wants to lose right now. Jones' contract isn't hurting them whatsoever. Maybe in three years when Bedard is up for renewal, and possibly lighting the league on fire, then they'll care.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I just want to say, acquiring a guy you believe is a #1 dman as you head into a rebuild and then dumping him while retaining 50% for 7 years because he hasn't produced on your stripped down, tankathon roster is generational, Milbury-esque level asshattery.

You may not see another idea this bad in your lifetime.

When I am an old man on a rocking chair and my great grandchildren ask, "GG paw, what's the worst idea you've ever heard?" I will say "the worst idea I ever heard was dumping Seth Jones at 50% for seven years the same year they got Connor Bedard".
(Truthfully, it's the second worst idea, but telling your ggkids that you had a coworker asking around work if anyone wanted to threesome his wife is not something this ggpaw would do.)

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
I just want to say, acquiring a guy you believe is a #1 dman as you head into a rebuild and then dumping him while retaining 50% for 7 years because he hasn't produced on your stripped down, tankathon roster is generational, Milbury-esque level asshattery.

You may not see another idea this bad in your lifetime.

When I am an old man on a rocking chair and my great grandchildren ask, "GG paw, what's the worst idea you've ever heard?" I will say "the worst idea I ever heard was dumping Seth Jones at 50% for seven years the same year they got Connor Bedard".
(Truthfully, it's the second worst idea, but telling your ggkids that you had a coworker asking around work if anyone wanted to threesome his wife is not something this ggpaw would do.)

It was 2 different GM's.

They didn't "head into a rebuild" when they acquired Jones. In the 21-22 off season Bowman traded for Jones and MAF. The team was trying to make the playoffs that year. Bowman was let go and Davidson took over as interim GM. Davidson began the rebuild halfway through the 21-22 season when he traded Hagel to Tampa.

Do your homework...

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
It was 2 different GM's.

They didn't "head into a rebuild" when they acquired Jones. In the 21-22 off season Bowman traded for Jones and MAF. The team was trying to make the playoffs that year. Bowman was let go and Davidson took over as interim GM. Davidson began the rebuild halfway through the 21-22 season when he traded Hagel to Tampa.

Do your homework...
I am going to turn in my math assignment right now. The guy who signs the checks isn't going to drop about 30M to get rid of Seth Jones and have to go find a new #1D. Please show me the last time a team held 50% for 7 years.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
LOL

You think a team would retain almost 5M for 7 years and then give up a 1st round pick on top of that…?

Jones isn’t great but not bad either, they’d just keep him at that point

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
It was 2 different GM's.

Do your homework...
Distinction with no difference. Still makes no sense.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
6 mil for one year for Marleau got a 1st round pick. Imagine what retaining almost 5mil for 7 years is worth. Now add Jones at under 5 mil. It would be an insane return.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
So much hyperbole on here. Good players are the best ever and if they aren't the best ever they are AHlers. No in between. Jones is the same type of dman as someone like Nurse. Can be a #1 on a meh team, better to be the #2. At 4M cap hit, he has insane value. Teams would line up to slot him in as their #3 with that cap hit, he would almost instantly improve any blue line's depth in the league.

Yes he has positive value as that price point. If the Hawks wanted to move the deal, they likely need to retain but no where that aggressively. He makes 9.5, at 7.5 he is paid as a top pairing dman, that is more than fair. They can get positive value with only 2M in retention.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Seth Jones contract at 50% retained would be $4,750,000 for 7 more years, would he have positive value at this price range or would he require a sweetener, if I were the Canucks id ask for the TBL 1st round pick and our 2023 2nd round pick back although id obviously be hesitant considering how OEL went.

How many firsts are you adding for jones at half retention?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad