Confirmed with Link: Seth Jarvis signs 8 year, $63.2m extension ($7.5m aav, 9th year deferred salary and $30m signing bonus)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I love the fact that Tulsky apparently already successfully included this type of deal in the Slavin contract and waited to see if anyone (the league, other GMs, etc) would raise a fuss about it. And now included a bigger portion in this contract.
It's definitely interesting to seemingly be at the forefront of something like this. And go figure, aside from looking at other roster options, there was a perfectly logical reason this might have taken a while. Folks just need to relax sometimes.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Okey dokey.

(Play it cool, maybe no one will notice the erection...)
1725110788960.gif

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
is the deferred payment just the difference in the normally calculated over 8 years cap hit and the actual cap hit? so, 7.9. - 7.5 = 400k per year? 3.2 million total paid day one of year 9?

given where the cap should to be in 9 years, insert sam adams "drink beer from a bottle? BRILLIANT!" guys here.

edit - allegedly the deferred money never hits the cap? wow

Last edited:

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I never thought I would see the day that the Hurricanes franchise would be one of those "evil", big-money teams that do salary tricks to pay guys more than their cap hit, but that's what happen when Karmanos leaves, Dundon comes in, and six straight post-seasons occur. It's an exciting time to be a Canes fan!

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
is the deferred payment just the difference in the normally calculated over 8 years cap hit and the actual cap hit? so, 7.9. - 7.5 = 400k per year? 3.2 million total paid day one of year 9?

given where the cap should to be in 9 years, insert sam adams "drink beer from a bottle? BRILLIANT!" guys here.

edit - allegedly the deferred money never hits the cap? wow
That last part will be the obvious fix: the last signing bonus will count on that years cap whether the player is still there or not. Similar to how you have to pay a player the signing bonuses when you buy him out.

But even with that it’s a brilliant move to work around the cap and the fact Tulsky took it to the league first shows it’s at least by the letter of the law.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
It’s cool but I’m also concerned about the precedent it sets.

Not that I think it’s wrong or bad at all. But like… we might’ve just showed the league a gamechanging loophole that apparently only we knew about, and we showed our cards and made that big reveal to save only $400k/yr on the cap (<1% of cap ceiling).

Not much of a first mover’s advantage. Edmonton thanks us.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I have never had an issue with teams finding any sort of way to get an edge competitively. I admire, rather than hate, FO groups like Vegas's team who will use any trick in the book to maximize their competitive window and acquire fresh talent. It's cool to see that Carolina is now on those lists of teams rather than the miserly, sad-sack clubs who prefer to complain rather than put the effort to bring a quality product every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad