Seravalli: NHL Back to AZ Within 5yrs ?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
jack-nicholson-no.gif

• Haha
Reactions: TheLegend

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Arizona hasn't?
Coyotes changed owners a few times. Why didn't anyone good view the Coyotes as a worthwhile investment over the past 15 years since Moyes declared bankruptcy?
Can imagine most want something turnkey, vs having to deal with the city on a new arena and have the spotlight of being a billionaire asking for taxpayer funds right off the hop before they've built up some goodwill.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Its the 11th biggest media market in NA.
There are 4.8 million people in the Phoenix area, twice Vegas and 4 times Salt Lake City areas.

The team made the playoffs 4 times since 2002. I dont blame the fans for not being invested. Why invest when the product sucks due to the ownership sucking. Why go to a game when the experience sucks.

I get it's hard to understand in Edmonton where there is nothing to do except hockey, but large markets in America have other options. All 3 of the other major sports leagues are in Phoenix. If the Ducks were run as poorly as the Coyotes were they would also not have a huge fanbase.

Look at Florida. Their attendance was trash while the team was bad. Now that they are good they are selling out every game.

Reactions: Salsero1 and zeeto

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Its the 11th biggest media market in NA.
There are 4.8 million people in the Phoenix area, twice Vegas and 4 times Salt Lake City areas.

The team made the playoffs 4 times since 2002. I dont blame the fans for not being invested. Why invest when the product sucks due to the ownership sucking. Why go to a game when the experience sucks.

I get it's hard to understand in Edmonton where there is nothing to do except hockey, but large markets in America have other options. All 3 of the other major sports leagues are in Phoenix. If the Ducks were run as poorly as the Coyotes were they would also not have a huge fanbase.

Look at Florida. Their attendance was trash while the team was bad. Now that they are good they are selling out every game.
First off, i don't live in Edmonton, secondly the size of the market is of no consequence if the populous does not connect with the sport. If Houston got a professional Cricket team, would anyone be surprised if they struggled to get fans to the games?

There could be 20 million people in the Phoenix area, if nobody's watching the games it's irrelevant, which hockey largely is in Arizona.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
First off, i don't live in Edmonton, secondly the size of the market is of no consequence if the populous does not connect with the sport. If Houston got a professional Cricket team, would anyone be surprised if they struggled to get fans to the games?

There could be 20 million people in the Phoenix area, if nobody's watching the games it's irrelevant, which hockey largely is in Arizona.
Hockey isn't cricket so lets keep the strawman to a minimum. And you either just didn't read my comment or you don't care.

The team has been bad, because of ownership, for over 20 years. They have been in need of an arena made for hockey for the whole of their existence. There are 3 other professional sports teams in town. Why would you invest in a team/experience like that?

TheLegend

They call me “Buzz”.
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Coyotes changed owners a few times. Why didn't anyone good view the Coyotes as a worthwhile investment over the past 15 years since Moyes declared bankruptcy?

The annual summers of the media pushing out countless stories of relocation certainly didn't do much help.

Can imagine most want something turnkey, vs having to deal with the city on a new arena and have the spotlight of being a billionaire asking for taxpayer funds right off the hop before they've built up some goodwill.

This... to a large degree.

But there's a lot more that can be said.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Hockey isn't cricket so lets keep the strawman to a minimum. And you either just didn't read my comment or you don't care.

The team has been bad, because of ownership, for over 20 years. They have been in need of an arena made for hockey for the whole of their existence. There are 3 other professional sports teams in town. Why would you invest in a team/experience like that?
That is not a strawman argument. for as upset as you're getting (no idea why) the truth is that hockey is not big enough in that area regardless of how many people live there.

Maybe it would have been different if they would've had success early into the move from Winnipeg, and you can blame ownership/management whatever the cause for the lack of success was, but they didn't have success, so once the novelty of a new team wore off, apathy towards the Coyotes set in. there is very little foundational knowledge and love of the game of hockey from residents in that area.

Saying Arizona is a good market because the other pro sports teams do well there is exactly the reason why hockey ISN'T surviving there. it's a niche sport that the majority of residents haven't played, or grown up watching, so why would they divide their attention from the local sports teams they have followed their whole lives and probably played the sport growing up?

When Vegas moved in, they were the only professional sports team in town, plus they went to the Stanley Cup final in their first season, and have been good from day 1. they've solidified a fan base because of those reasons. Arizona has had not done the same.

Salsero1

Nov 10, 2022
That is not a strawman argument. for as upset as you're getting (no idea why) the truth is that hockey is not big enough in that area regardless of how many people live there.

Maybe it would have been different if they would've had success early into the move from Winnipeg, and you can blame ownership/management whatever the cause for the lack of success was, but they didn't have success, so once the novelty of a new team wore off, apathy towards the Coyotes set in. there is very little foundational knowledge and love of the game of hockey from residents in that area.

Saying Arizona is a good market because the other pro sports teams do well there is exactly the reason why hockey ISN'T surviving there. it's a niche sport that the majority of residents haven't played, or grown up watching, so why would they divide their attention from the local sports teams they have followed their whole lives and probably played the sport growing up?

When Vegas moved in, they were the only professional sports team in town, plus they went to the Stanley Cup final in their first season, and have been good from day 1. they've solidified a fan base because of those reasons. Arizona has had not done the same.
How many people in Nashville, Tampa, Carolina, Florida, San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, etc grew up playing and watching hockey? It doesn't hold them back from embracing the game.

I swear you True North folks think there's some "likes hockey" gene that you're either born with or not. It's not that complicated, put out a compelling product in a large enough market and it'll be fine.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

How is comparing Hockey to Cricket in popularity in an American market not a strawman..... I think I'm done with you buddy.

How many people in Nashville, Tampa, Carolina, Florida, San Jose, Anaheim, Dallas, etc grew up playing and watching hockey? It doesn't hold them back from embracing the game.
Quit using logic. If the town isnt a "hockey town" then no way an NHL team can succeed.

Last edited:

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

I swear you True North folks think there's some "likes hockey" gene that you're either born with or not. It's not that complicated, put out a compelling product in a large enough market and it'll be fine.
How is comparing Hockey to Cricket in popularity in an American market not a strawman..... I think I'm done with you buddy.

Quit using logic. If the town isnt a "hockey town" then no way an NHL team can succeed.
First off I'm not comparing the sports, and by the way Cricket is the second largest sport in popularity in the world, but what i said is nobody gives a shit about Cricket in Houston Texas, much like nobody gave a shit about hockey in Arizona, regardless of how big the market is. it's a sport they are unfamiliar with and have zero interest in learning.

You guys believe that if the Coyotes had what? put up more posters? maybe had a televised police chase on the freeway with their mascot on a Zamboni? or had a more likeable owner the team would've survived in the desert? C'mon.

i don't care if there are a billion people in Arizona, if only 5000 of them give a shit about hockey, the team won't survive there.

Every southern market isn't the same, Nashville is a fantastic hockey market, Arizona is not. They had 30 years and multiple owners to figure it out, including the NHL itself as an owner, and still no one gave a shit. They were flat out apathetic towards hockey, they proved that over 3 decades.

The Coyotes were a drain on the league, a financial anchor that the NHL should be happy to rid itself of, but Bettman is only looking at the same thing you guys are, population size. Well, the population of Arizona has shown they don't care about hockey, and i say good riddance, go somewhere that does care.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They should give Arizona back all their draft picks.

The expansion rules have been extremely generous, but it is going to be tough for them to see another city get to benefit from the years of finishing near the bottom and accumulating all those picks, prospects, and future young stars. Almost like the Browns moving, and Baltimore winning a Stanley Bowl the next year.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad