Seravalli: NHL Back to AZ Within 5yrs ?!?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
I'd be very curious where you got the 5,000 total viewers number from, but regardless, if it's a number from back in 2009 or whatever, it's entirely irrelevant, as they draw many more total viewers now.

Well, before it all went pear shaped there.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Let’s keep beating this dead horse. Arizona doesn’t have the support for hockey. It’s a money pit. The Coyotes brought down the revenues of the other league owners and held the NHL back for decades. The salary cap would have been $100,000,000 by now if the Yotes had moved 5 or 6 years ago.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
IMG_20241003_020436.jpg

Reactions: Voight

hangman005

It's my first day.
Apr 19, 2015
Iceland II the hotter crappier version.
Suns current lease runs through 2037.

The other option is ASU. They need a new basketball arena badly. They have the land, there’s no tax breaks needed and fewer political issues.

Could develop something along the lines of what Carolina and NC State have.

But it’s not a sure thing.
A firework fighting event could help there, but insurance would probably be boring and be like nope, we're not paying. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: DaveG and TheLegend

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
god i hope not. maybe revisit it in 15-20 years if theres a ownership group . but lots of other cities deserve a shot.. houston, kansas city, san diego, quebec city . wisconsin if you could get a ownership owuld be cool.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
It makes total sense that they want to be in those markets. The question I have is whether anything is going to be done any differently than the previous times they tried it in Atlanta and Arizona.
Atlanta at least sounds like they're doing things right this time (arena located central to the fans: IE north of Atlanta), potential ownership groups that are hockey-focused rather than just having a team as part of the mix for getting a new downtown arena. Basically everything they didn't do with the previous attempts.

Arizona is going to be 100% wait and see. Too many variables at play with no concrete plans laid out the way we have in Atlanta right now.

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
I'd be happy for AZ fans if they brought the Coyotes back but i feel like there's a few markets such as Atlanta or Houston that deserve a shot first.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I'd be happy for AZ fans if they brought the Coyotes back but i feel like there's a few markets such as Atlanta or Houston that deserve a shot first.

I'd rather see the league try a new market like Houston before going back to Atlanta a third time.

Hell, even Kansas City could at least get a second run, seeing as how they may already have a venue awaiting a tenant.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I’ve spent a lot of time in the Phoenix area this past year working and just don’t talk to many people who care about hockey. It’s baseball mad, for sure, but I met more hockey fans in central / southern Indiana than I have here.

Nhl is probably a distant memory in Phoenix. They haven't played there for decades.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Well, luckily deserts are known for their consistent water supplies. Phoenix in particular has its own source of infinitely-sustainable water: mountain snow.

Can you imagine all the new Coyotes fans you'll get when people have to stop having pools in order to make ice?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL wants ATL, HOU, AZ for sure. ATL seems like a slam dunk. HOU/AZ, appear dependent on NBA owners in TF and MI. Houston has the arena already, just need TF to pay the NHL's asking price, but that seems to be an issue. AZ, needs a new arena as Footprint will be 45 years old and not NHL capacity (sightlines) when the suns lease expires in 2037. Unless that new arena is not located in PHX, I think it will be much closer to the expiration of the Suns lease as PHX has to deal with the Diamondbacks ballpark too as their lease expires in 2027.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Let’s keep beating this dead horse. Arizona doesn’t have the support for hockey. It’s a money pit. The Coyotes brought down the revenues of the other league owners and held the NHL back for decades. The salary cap would have been $100,000,000 by now if the Yotes had moved 5 or 6 years ago.
Fun fact: Calgary as of last season is about twenty million dollars below the league average in NHL revenue. Over thirty million dollars below the average from other Canadian teams. Source: Forbes and some quick number crunching in Excel.

Right now your team is being propped up by Edmonton, hon. Glass houses. :)

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa has been right there in the basement with Arizona w/r/t league revenue - only $8m last season above Arizona and three times that BELOW the next team up (Columbus). Y'all are in no position whatsoever to cast aspersions.
We've had a toxic owner, but we've shown in the past we have a strong fanbase. So I continue to roll my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad