Seravalli comes in hot with an all-time tone deaf season prediction

Aug 3, 2010
What happened to sports writers being... you know, good writers?
Lack of properly employed editors, for one thing, and now the rise of lazy AI "content", for another.

Regardless of that though, this kind of shows Seravalli has a total lack of understanding. Even if an editor caught this and made him re-write it, it wouldn't change the fact that Frank himself can't read the room on this topic.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not malicious, just a dumb and tone-deaf thing to say. Even if factually true, I doubt his loved ones want to hear that the Columbus Blue Jackets are benefiting by his death this way.

If he wanted to make a "bold take" on Columbus, how about saying that with the addition of Evason as their coach and going through this tragedy together, the team will actually be more of a team than in years and is going to be tougher to play against than people thought.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
The bar for hockey journalism is so incredibly low that I have full 100% confidence that half of the posters on this site are more qualified and would do a better job than the hacks we have in in the industry at the moment.

Reactions: VeteranPresence

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Might as well just said, “Blue Jackets go on 20 game pointless streak and it’s all the help from the heavens and Johnny”

Frank is a damn moron and always was. Hockey writers these days are lottery the equivalent of most stupid posts you see on this site.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I don’t like Seravalli at all so I don’t care to defend him.

But it’s clear people are misunderstanding what he’s saying. He meant that Gaudreau is going to be looking down from heaven and spiritually influence the lottery. That’s different from “this team will be terrible thanks to this guy dying.”

It’s not that big of a deal.
No I get it, it’s just a dumb thing to say

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Probably just took his same list from last year, did a couple updates, left in the Gaudreau part by overlooking it, and hit "send".

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
I don’t like Seravalli at all so I don’t care to defend him.

But it’s clear people are misunderstanding what he’s saying. He meant that Gaudreau is going to be looking down from heaven and spiritually influence the lottery. That’s different from “this team will be terrible thanks to this guy dying.”

It’s not that big of a deal.
I think plenty understand it. It's still tone deaf AF. As if 1OA really matters in the grand scheme of things. In the context of what happened, it's wild to bring that up.

Like others have said, it's a dumb sportswriter trying to do something dumb and in a dumb fashion.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
He updated it to clarify Gaudreau is helping them win the draft lottery *from heaven*, not as a vengeful ghost on earth.

This is somehow worse, because if the Blue Jackets do end up losing the lottery, is Frank suggesting that Gaudreau intentionally caused it "from heaven"? The dumbass should not have commented at all on the tragedy vis a vis their draft position, it would have been enough to just project that Columbus finishes last and win the lottery. However he couldn't resist trying to be poetic or whatever he thought that was.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
This is somehow worse, because if the Blue Jackets do end up losing the lottery, is Frank suggesting that Gaudreau intentionally caused it "from heaven"? The dumbass should not have commented at all on the tragedy vis a vis their draft position, it would have been enough to just project that Columbus finishes last and win the lottery. However he couldn't resist trying to be poetic or whatever he thought that was.
There's some similarly tasteless "witticisms" that could arrive from that as well but I'm not going to write them. The situation's bad enough.

Asinine

yer opinion is wrong
Feb 28, 2013
It's odd that he's even predicting winners of the lottery. Let alone before the season starts.

I think he had the thought in his head about Gaudreau blessing them with the #1 pick, thought it was really deep and virtuous and had to write about it.

Reactions: Siidekik

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Anytime you want to get mad at this guy, just remember he's born in 1988, looks like he was born in 1965, and his voice sounds like he was born in 2011. Dude is down extremely bad in life.

First my mind was blown away by the fact that a professional writer could write something so unbelievable tone-deaf, but now that pales in comparison to what the info of his birth-year did to my brain…

🧠:damnpc:

• Haha
Reactions: ucanthanzalthetruth

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i guess we will find out what kind of man he is. He said it and edited it again to say kinda the same thing. id have respect for him if he stands by it and owns that he said it. however i have a feeling he will backtrack and cower and pretend to be sorry instead with some apology statement.

fyi i think its tasteless but still think he should own what he said

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad