Seravalli comes in hot with an all-time tone deaf season prediction

Deadly Dogma

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Thats how we all read it. Its not about how he said it. Hes saying that JG is goint to help the jackets win the lottery while in heaven. The comment is just in poor taste.
I missed the "a" the 1st time, so I thought he was saying since J.G is no help, CBJ will be picking 1st OA, reading it that way I was a little put off by that phrasing, then I saw the a and its tone deaf sure but not some appalling statement

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Seravelli should invest in something he hasn’t in his life: Just For Men Hair Gel and Extra Strength Slim Fast.

f*** this guy, the only thing I’ll be surprised he does is a jumping jack.

Naw your just poor taste, be gone mofo.
wow, chill out, it can't be good for you to get soo worked up over something relatively minor.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Tasteless and unprofessional for sure, but not malicious... overall I think it was unnecessary to bring Gaudreau into this... and it was worded very poorly. I don't think he should be a writer.

Apart from Peter Gzowski and George Plimpton, who has ever written well about hockey?

The fact that people would take time to complain about this saddens me. Hockey is business and media companies require content. So Seravelli writes something that addresses the human side -- that it's going to be hard for Columbus to compete this season without one of their best players, who was an inspiration in his life as he may be in death. He dashes in a little optimism, and possibly a little of his own Judaeo-Christian belief in an afterlife and the blessings of fortune, and the response is ... frankly what I'd expect from these boards.

There's no right way to handle the devastating loss of a young man like #13, not to mention all the other facts surround it. So it should also be obvious that anything from ignoring it to hoping that Columbus can find a way to heal and move forward is ok. A sentiment like that, wishing for the spirit of a lost individual to be there in the locker room throughout the season, would have been utterly commonplace in the years before this morally backward era.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
It was deliberate and in poor taste. The apology is okay even with some of the excuse making.

It's wild to me how you write that and think "yeah, I'll submit that" and then someone supposedly reviewed it (probably didn't) and gave the go ahead to publish it.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Apart from Peter Gzowski and George Plimpton, who has ever written well about hockey?

The fact that people would take time to complain about this saddens me. Hockey is business and media companies require content. So Seravelli writes something that addresses the human side -- that it's going to be hard for Columbus to compete this season without one of their best players, who was an inspiration in his life as he may be in death. He dashes in a little optimism, and possibly a little of his own Judaeo-Christian belief in an afterlife and the blessings of fortune, and the response is ... frankly what I'd expect from these boards.

There's no right way to handle the devastating loss of a young man like #13, not to mention all the other facts surround it. So it should also be obvious that anything from ignoring it to hoping that Columbus can find a way to heal and move forward is ok. A sentiment like that, wishing for the spirit of a lost individual to be there in the locker room throughout the season, would have been utterly commonplace in the years before this morally backward era.

I'm not sure there was ever a time where "thanks for dying bro, lol, helping us get that #1 overall" was socially or morally acceptable.

Reactions: 1989

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
What if calgary wins the lottery? What does that tell us.
or the Devils win the cup and somehow the lottery

I'm not sure there was ever a time where "thanks for dying bro, lol, helping us get that #1 overall" was socially or morally acceptable.
I am picturing someone in the Sens staff reading this then throwing out the draft of their thanks for dying card to Melnyk lol

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I am picturing someone in the Sens staff reading this then throwing out the draft of their thanks for dying card to Melnyk lol

I understand wanting to reference it. It's a tragic loss and it's going to have an impact on the Columbus.

But the way Serevalli wrote it even with that dude's charitable interpretation is: "Gaudreau will be there with the team in spirit....... as they get caved in every single night to win the draft lottery"

... what is heart warming or a blessing or a blessed fortune about that?

Generally speaking when someone is with you in spirit - you overcome the odds and do something great. And Seravalli is implying the opposite which is why he apologized.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Obviously he meant in his first sentence that Gaudreau in heaven will help give the Jackets some luck. That's how I read it the first time, seems rather obvious. I'm surprised people are misreading this.
The in heaven part was an edit he later added. It started as "With a little help from Guadreau...."

Reactions: Szechwan

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
I understand wanting to reference it. It's a tragic loss and it's going to have an impact on the Columbus.

But the way Serevalli wrote it even with that dude's charitable interpretation is: "Gaudreau will be there with the team in spirit....... as they get caved in every single night to win the draft lottery"

... what is heart warming or a blessing or a blessed fortune about that?

Generally speaking when someone is with you in spirit - you overcome the odds and do something great. And Seravalli is implying the opposite which is why he apologized.
I do agree with you, he attached JG to the season when he should have phrased it so that JG was only attached to the lottery itself, if even referenced him at all.
I find it poorly phrased and if he phrased it properly like how I think he meant, it isn't bad.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
He also changed the article one more time to just remove the connection entirely.

The multiple edits before just pulling it and the time it took him to apologize tells me that he was probably the one fighting behind the scenes to keep it in there. Tweaks didn't suffice so they just cut it.

I can certainly give the benefit of the doubt he was well intentioned, but they should have immediately took the L and moved on rather than spending time futzing with it, which is in and of itself, an admission that they screwed up in the first place.

Well intentioned as it may have been it just comes across as crass and cheap. Shouldn't have gotten past an editor.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
I'm not offended by the comment, I'm just flabbergasted that someone getting paid as much as he does to do that job would write something like that and think 'yeah this is good stuff.' Christ, isn't there a single good writer left in the Anglosphere, or are boomers on ChatGPT now, too?

Great news for whoever signs his paychecks, they now have a very easy excuse to dump him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad