Seravalli comes in hot with an all-time tone deaf season prediction

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What's even scarier is that he is president of the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
This wasn't a twitter/X post to get something out there quickly. He took the time to write out his predictions for all clubs and worded it the way he did....

• Wow
Reactions: 1989

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
Can we just cancel this guy, that phrasing is so tone deaf.

He also is a massive Oilers fan, and media personnel are supposed to try to be unbiased. Which he isn't. Because he has McDavid and Draisatl jerseys framed in his house.

Reactions: Kranix

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Why he felt the need to include any reference to the death at all is beyond me.
I imagine that it's because he really did mean that they would be that bad because he passed and wanted to communicate that, but he didn't want to say it outright, so he tried to hint at it with phrasing that he thought would sound better.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
It honestly feels like he was trying to maximize clicks by shoehorning Gaudreau as a keyword. Optics wise, it understandably blew up in his face.

It's not a problem for him thinking CBJ is a candidate for the draft lottery. But him trying several times to salvage that message with the Gaudreau death in it intact... dude wtf.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
This. Doesn't matter how many times he tries to rephrase it, it's not getting any better after he screwed it up as badly as he did the first time. If he legit thinks CBJ will win the lottery this year, for whatever reason, just start with "The Columbus Blue Jackets will win the lottery this year."

I can see what's going on here, he knows what he meant and can't interpret what he said as having any alternate connotation than that (everyone does that from time to time) but when you've got this many people telling you you're a moron, you should probably back off entirely, not keep trying to slightly adjust wording. It just makes you look too out of touch to do your job correctly.
Pretty much a lost cause at this point, there is no phrasing that will make it better. Once you went with the original phrasing and it was interpreted the way it was, there was no coming back.
Just apologize for your poor choice of words and hope it blows over.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Can we just cancel this guy, that phrasing is so tone deaf.

He also is a massive Oilers fan base, and media personnel are supposed to try to be unbiased. Which he isn't. Because he has McDavid and Draisatl jerseys framed in his house.
Cassie Campbell's husband is an AGM with the Flames and she openly pulls for them all the time. Kelly Hrudey is near tears with every Flames loss.

Frank sucks and is an idiot but fandom shouldn't get someone cancelled.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
This wasn't a twitter/X post to get something out there quickly. He took the time to write out his predictions for all clubs and worded it the way he did....
Not to mention it had to pass through the DailyFaceoff editors before going live.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
WTF? How does anyone come up with a comment like that let alone let it through a major publication.
Does anyone consider the Daily Faceoff a major publication? There's a reason, when print media was king, that editors were in place. "Talent" wrote the copy. Someone else edited it. Even sports.

DF is a blog site. Yah, he's making money at it, but when you are your own editor you open yourself up to blunders like this.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
That's gotta be one of the worst things that one could come up with to say about the whole situation.

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
Cassie Campbell's husband is an AGM with the Flames and she openly pulls for them all the time. Kelly Hrudey is near tears with every Flames loss.

Frank sucks and is an idiot but fandom shouldn't get someone cancelled.

Agreed. Media personnel do not need to be unbiased IMO. But I think they need to clearly communicate where their bias shows up and they also need to take time to ensure that they provide objective media as needed by the majority (not minority) of the viewers.

Someone who does this well IMO is Bieksa.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Seravalli is a f***ing clown and deserves every bit of heat that he's gonna get for that. Holy shit that is horrific.

Aug 3, 2010
1728323314254.png

I almost have to laugh at how absurdly poor the phrasing and the content is.

Is it only "a little" because Gaudreau was a small player?
Is the loss of a beloved life really remedied by a non-guaranteed (the exact opposite, in fact) lottery system?
What is the "hope and help" if the draft lottery is not won?

Considering the prior information by posters above, how could this post possibly pass muster from the President of the PWHA??

My junior high English teacher would have torn him into a pitiful pile of pulp.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
He's saying that Gaudreau will help them in the ping pong lotto draw, like "destiny was on their side", "someone up there was looking out for them" kinda thing, when you get a lucky break.

What I don't think he meant is "because their leading scorer from the last two seasons passed away, they will be the worst team"
Oh yeah. That's how I read it like poltergeist Johnny influencing the balls. I never even thought to think of it like CBJ being low in the standings. From that perspective, it came off as cheesy to me and not offensive

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Agreed. Media personnel do not need to be unbiased IMO. But I think they need to clearly communicate where their bias shows up and they also need to take time to ensure that they provide objective media as needed by the majority (not minority) of the viewers.

Someone who does this well IMO is Bieksa.
Media that concentrates on a certain team will always be biased. That's a given. Now, once you get to the National stage, that's when the bias needs to be limited.

Reactions: Figgy44

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
I have zero problem with making that prediction as Columbus is a pretty bad looking team. Saying it is a consolation prize is weird though, but there is nothing wrong at all with predicting Colombus will be really bad and could win the draft lottery.
I think it’s more the “thanks to Gaudreau” part

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad