Seravalli comes in hot with an all-time tone deaf season prediction

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
what a moronic thing to say. he may look like a 60 year old, but the professional acumen of an adolescent.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I have zero problem with making that prediction as Columbus is a pretty bad looking team. Saying it is a consolation prize is weird though, but there is nothing wrong at all with predicting Colombus will be really bad and could win the draft lottery.

ponder719

M-M-M-Matvei and the Jett
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I understand what he's trying to say, but absolutely brutal phrasing.

This. Doesn't matter how many times he tries to rephrase it, it's not getting any better after he screwed it up as badly as he did the first time. If he legit thinks CBJ will win the lottery this year, for whatever reason, just start with "The Columbus Blue Jackets will win the lottery this year."

I can see what's going on here, he knows what he meant and can't interpret what he said as having any alternate connotation than that (everyone does that from time to time) but when you've got this many people telling you you're a moron, you should probably back off entirely, not keep trying to slightly adjust wording. It just makes you look too out of touch to do your job correctly.

Reactions: 1989

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Strange wording... poor taste. But not something worth having a witch hunt over..

I didn't expect Seravalli to back off the words at all... the guy is kind of obnoxiously stubborn.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
He's saying that Gaudreau will help them in the ping pong lotto draw, like "destiny was on their side", "someone up there was looking out for them" kinda thing, when you get a lucky break.

What I don't think he meant is "because their leading scorer from the last two seasons passed away, they will be the worst team"

LOL, that's worse?

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
here's a picture of Seravalli as he was writing that headline:

oliver.png

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is a situation where you just do your blurb about the Blue Jackets and move on.

There isn't a good way to talk about it in a hockey context.

"The Blue Jackets are an early candidate to be in lottery contention, although they've surprisingly never won it. They'll be looking for progress out of young winger Kirill Marchenko."

Like, that would have been fine.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I never liked Frank and this solidifies it

Dude is trash and there are so many better people out there to do his job

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Any team that wins the NHL Draft Lotto gets "lucky" in that there is only like a 25 % chance even for the worst team and worse odds for any other team, it's completely random chance. People will often associate random chance occurrences as happening due to some higher power/fate/destiny. That's essentially what Seravalli is "predicting"... that Columbus wins a chance occurrence and that is a result of Gaudreau spiritually influencing the drawing from the afterlife.

Reactions: Silky Johnson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad