• Habs

Votes: 41 28.9%
  • Sens

Votes: 101 71.1%

• Total voters

A Loyal Dog

Marc Bergevin's Bitch
Oct 20, 2016
Habs. Like the others mentioned: half of Sens will leave anyway in next year or so. Habs also have a lot more than just that. We have Reinbacher, Beck, Engstrom, Kapanen, Fowler, Dobes who all project to be solid NHLers+. You missed Chychrun (won't stay) and Greig for Sens.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
In terms of talent, I think those Sens players are a better foundation. However, they have failed to bring the team upwards at all. Time is running out for them to prove they can be a good core. In that sense, I would pick the Habs core. Sens have the better players, Habs have the better core.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The "Habs group because the Sens will leave" is a weird reply to a poll about who's better. Who the team plays for in the future has nothing to do with who's better now or going into next year.

Also, Greig is notable for the Sens and not in the OP.
Chychrun as well but he's very likely gone soon so it makes more sense to have him off the list.

Imagine using AINEC when their team, with more NHL experience, barely outperforms the Habs.

It's not the entire team, so the standings are pretty irrelevant. It's a select few players in which the Sens group outpointed the Habs group by 37%, which isn't really close if that's what you care about.

sensfan4lifee

May 21, 2024
The Sens have better Elite talent with Tkachuk and Stuzle but I just like Montreals depth more and I don't feel there done yet, I think the HABS have the deeper prospect pool its just lacking it Elite talent upfront, while the sens have no depth but 2 elite forwards. so yeah I'd take the habs cos I feel like they just will have a better future than the Sens,

Reactions: Habano and EveryDay

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don't think this poll is accurate enough : several misses, no goalies...

I think the proper way to do these comparisons is also to compare by positions and role importance (best C vs best C, Top Winger vs Top Winger, Top pairing D-man vs Top pairing D-man, etc)

Stützle vs Suzuki : Suzuki was great last season and better than Stu but the guy had a 90 pts season at 20 y/o, he's just scratching the surface.

Tkachuk vs Slafkovsky : This would have been laughable 6 months ago but Slaf will actually make it interesting

Batherson vs Caufield : it should be Caufield because of his goal scoring talent but if he's not scoring 40+, I take Drake without thinking

Norris vs Dach : whoever ends up more healthy? Goal scoring 2-way center vs Playmaking 2-way center. 2 very nice young talents who have been derailed by injuries. Norris is more proven though, scored 47 goals in 91 games before he ran into injury trouble. He was 21-22 y/o

Pinto vs Newhook : Pinto should run away with this with his rapidly evolving 2-way game but you never know, they are still only 23 y/o

Greig vs Roy : 2 very intriguing young players, Greig is already top notch defensively, Roy should be more productive. If they produce similar offense then it's Greig easily

Joseph vs Evans : 2 very interesting and speedy bottom-6 forwards. I'd take Joseph who is a PK beast and more proven too

Halliday, Ostapchuk, Jarventie vs Beck, Mesar, Farrell : Montreal has more than that in terms of forward prospects (Heineman, Kidney, etc), Ottawa not much after these 3 since Dorion botched the last 3 drafts (traded high picks, picking Tyler Boucher 10th OA, etc)

Chabot vs Guhle : not exactly the same style but I still remember that guy on another site who was insulting me because I didn't agree with "Guhle is already better"

Sanderson vs Hutson : Hutson will have to hit significantly to be as good as Jake who is going to be among the NHL Elite for a long time.

Chychrun vs Mailloux : Chychrun was disappointing last season (despite 41 pts) but Mailloux would have to hit significantly to be as good.

Zub vs Reinbacher : Reinbacher could end up quite better but Zub is a great defensive D-man so will have to wait on that one as well.

Kleven vs Xhekaj : Xhekaj is more proven but blows defensively, Kleven should be quite better

Brännström vs Struble : 2 very reliable #5 D-men. Struble is a great athlete, Branchise is excellent in transition, very smart.

Bernard-Docker vs Harris : pure defensive D-man vs puck mover, hard to say who's going to be better. I think Harris is a bit more valuable although JBD is good at "survival defense", reminds me of Josh Gorges a bit but not as good as of now.

Guénette, Donovan, Andonovski vs Barron, Engstrom, Trudeau : Same as with forwards, Montreal restocked the last few drafts, Ottawa not so much

Sogaard, Merilainen, Reidler vs Fowler, Primeau, Dobes : this is going to be quite interesting. Fowler is the best prospect here and Montreal has a much better track record at developing goalies but who the hell knows here?

Now, that comparison would have been ridiculous to make just 2-3 years ago but Montreal fixed their management and coaching way earlier than Ottawa did (with Melnyk passing, it took a while for the team to be sold), as they were stuck with Pierre Dorion who was so inept that Montreal GAINED a lot of ground in the last 2 seasons. It is still clearly Ottawa but it's getting closer and closer. Not only Dorion was inept but he was actually a self sabotaging GM who has hurt the rebuild A LOT, the worst GM in NHL history IMO. I started a comparison with Milbury but I stopped as I don't see how it's even going to be close. Dorion had absolutely no business being a NHL GM.

Hard to say what will happen with Ottawa going forward, Staois and Green are new on the job, as well as many other people hired recently. The Melnyk-Dorion reign of terror has finally ended and it takes a while to recover from that. It starts with the 2024 draft in 11 days. They need a great draft to stop Montreal from gaining ground. Montreal has 5th OA and 26th OA while Ottawa has 7th OA and 25th OA.

I would LIKE to hear arguments from people voting Montreal here. Sure Ottawa didn't do a lot better the last 3 seasons in terms of team results but there's still a vast difference in terms of talent and it was very apparent when the teams faced each others.

Last edited:

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
Imagine using AINEC when their team, with more NHL experience, barely outperforms the Habs.

While I wouldn’t use the term AINEC, the Sens’ dismal performance last year was a LOT on coaching and goaltending moreso than these specific players’ talents. Comparing players to players, I feel like Ottawa’s pool is the currently stronger set - if Ottawa had coaching and goaltending as close to competent as Montreal got last year the delta in results would have been far greater.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Sens top talent is currently better. For Montreal it's all projection. That said, I don't think anyone on Montreal projects as good as Stutzle so he tips it in OTT's favour.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I don't think this poll is close enough to accurate. Several misses, no goalies...

The way to do these comparisons is also to compare positions, playing style and/or role importance (best C vs best C, Top Winger vs Top Winger, Top pairing D-man vs Top pairing D-man, etc)

Stützle vs Suzuki : Suzuki was great last season and better than Stu but the guy had a 90 pts season at 20 y/o, he's just scratching the surface.

Tkachuk vs Slafkovsky : This would have been laughable 6 months ago but Slaf will actually make it interesting

Batherson vs Caufield : it should be Caufield because of his goal scoring talent but if he's not scoring 40+, I take Drake without thinking

Norris vs Dach : whoever ends up more healthy? Goal scoring 2-way center vs Playmaking 2-way center. 2 very nice young talents who have been derailed by injuries. Norris is more proven though, scored 47 goals in 91 games before he ran into injury trouble. He was 21-22 y/o

Pinto vs Newhook : Pinto should run away with this with his rapidly evolving 2-way game but you never know, they are still only 23 y/o

Greig vs Roy : 2 very intriguing young players, Greig is already top notch defensively, Roy should be more productive. If they produce similar offense then it's Greig easily

Joseph vs Evans : 2 very interesting and speedy bottom-6 forwards. I'd take Joseph who is a PK beast and more proven too

Halliday, Ostapchuk, Jarventie vs Beck, Mesar, Farrell : Montreal has more than that in terms of forward prospects (Heineman, Kidney, etc), Ottawa not much after these 3 since Dorion botched the last 3 drafts (traded high picks, picking Tyler Boucher 10th OA, etc)

Chabot vs Guhle : not exactly the same style but still remember that guy on another site who was insulting me because I didn't agree with "Guhle is already better"

Sanderson vs Hutson : Hutson will have to hit significantly to be as good as Jake who is going among the NHL Elite for a long time.

Chychrun vs Mailloux : Chychrun was disappointing last season (despite 41 pts) but Mailloux would have to hit significantly to be as good.

Zub vs Reinbacher : Reinbacher could end up quite better but Zub is a great defensive D-man so will have to wait on that one as well.

Kleven vs Xhekaj : Xhekaj is more proven but blows defensively, Kleven should be quite better

Brännström vs Struble : 2 very reliable #5 D-men. Struble is a great athlete, Branchise is excellent in transition, very smart.

Bernard-Docker vs Harris : pure defensive D-man vs puck mover, hard to say who's going to be better. I think Harris is a bit more valuable although JBD is good at "survival defense", reminds me of Josh Gorges a bit but not as good as of now.

Guénette, Donovan, Andonovski vs Barron, Engstrom, Trudeau : Same as with forwards, Montreal restocked the last few drafts, Ottawa not so much

Sogaard, Merilainen, Reidler vs Fowler, Primeau, Dobes : this is going to be quite interesting. Fowler is the best prospect here and Montreal has a much better track record at developing goalies but who the hell knows here?

Now, that comparison would have been ridiculous to make just 2-3 years ago but Montreal fixed their management and coaching way earlier than Ottawa did (with Melnyk passing, it took a while for the team to be sold), as they were stuck with Pierre Dorion who was so inept that Montreal GAINED a lot of ground in the last 2 seasons. It is still clearly Ottawa but it's getting closer and closer. Not only Dorion was inept but he was actually a self sabotaging GM who has hurt the rebuild A LOT, the worst GM in NHL history IMO. I started a comparison with Milbury but I stopped as I don't see how it's even going to be close. Dorion had absolutely no business being a NHL GM.

Hard to say what will happen with Ottawa going forward, Staois and Green are new on the job, as well as many other people hired recently. The Melnyk-Dorion reign of terror has finally ended and it takes a while to recover from that. It starts with the 2024 draft in 11 days. They need a great draft to stop Montreal from gaining ground. Montreal has 5th OA and 26th OA while Ottawa has 7th OA and 25th OA.

I would LIKE to hear arguments from people voting Montreal here. Sure Ottawa didn't do a lot better the last 3 seasons in terms of team results but there's still a vast difference in terms of talent and it was very apparent when the teams faced each others.
Tl;dr:

“MTL guy is ok, but OTT guy is better” on every single comparison. Why even lay it out like this, if you’re gonna be a homer and pick OTT’s guys every time lol? Did you think posting it like this would lend credibility? Lmao, next time just save everyone the time and just say the classic “Ottawa AINEC.”

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Sens top talent is currently better. For Montreal it's all projection. That said, I don't think anyone on Montreal projects as good as Stutzle so he tips it in OTT's favour.
Stutzle is really reminiscent of Spezza in that he’s the type of player that puts up points, but otherwise doesn’t impress, and doesn’t move the needle in terms of helping the team win.

He’s one of those “net neutral” type of producers whose defensive deficiencies are bad enough that they negate all or most of the benefit from the extra production.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stutzle is really reminiscent of Spezza in that he’s the type of player that puts up points, but otherwise doesn’t impress, and doesn’t move the needle in terms of helping the team win.

He’s one of those “net neutral” type of producers whose defensive deficiencies are bad enough that they negate all or most of the benefit from the extra production.

You’ve managed to describe not only Stutzle but also Spezza completely incorrectly.

Well done.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Tl;dr:

“MTL guy is ok, but OTT guy is better” on every single comparison. Why even lay it out like this, if you’re gonna be a homer and pick OTT’s guys every time lol? Did you think posting it like this would lend credibility?

Easy to make this comment. So enlighten us : what should be the comparisons then?

Suzuki vs Pinto? But then Stutzle vs who?

And if in these comparisons, the MTL guy is superior, please come up with factual arguments. I am ALL HEARS, this is exactly what I have asked.

Lmao, next time just save everyone the time and just say the classic “Ottawa AINEC.”

I didn't do that exactly for this reason, to NOT come up with those stupid baseless empty statements you see all the time on the internet. If I say something it's because I have made some research and I am able to build a factual argument. The scholar way vs internet lol

You were invited to come up with arguments. But as usual, people who write like you have nothing to say so it's going to die right there. GG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Slovakia vs Romania
    Slovakia vs Romania
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,600.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ukraine vs Belgium
    Ukraine vs Belgium
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,770.00