OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Best to have people learn the limits of their car at a closed circuit. This is where you learn how to drive and polish your reaction times.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
why would you convert 100km/h to ft per second? like, we have the metric system for a reason, damnit...

Some of us grew up using the Imperial system, and lived through the (still ongoing) switch to the metric system.

The switch was less controversial in Quebec than in the rest of Canada, as the Quebecers saw the old system as part of the British heritage, that they viewed negativity. Prime Minister Trudeau alone, had decided on the switch to metric, because of its simplicity and because much of the world was already using that system; and for some reason he thought the United States would also make the switch.
He was wrong, and a lot of us who lived through the switch, use both systems, as the USA is still our largest trading partner.

Yes, most of us are used to parts of the Metric System, such as litres for milk and gas for examples, but we all still use yards on the golf course, and the CFL .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes, most of us are used to parts of the Metric System, such as litres for milk and gas for examples, but we all still use yards on the golf course, and the CFL .

The one that gets me is the use of the metric system for height and weight like in Europe.

2m tall? Is that tall? Seems tall?

You occasionally get asked for it on forms and I'm always using the calculator.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
The one that gets me is the use of the metric system for height and weight like in Europe.

2m tall? Is that tall? Seems tall?

You occasionally get asked for it on forms and I'm always using the calculator.

Imperial is great for height and weight.

6'+ is tall. Less than 5' is tiny.

Real men are over 200 lbs and adults under 100 lbs are malnourished.

Reactions: NyQuil

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Off to dinner, so I'll keep this short: I have been using publicly available data on driver perception reaction times, used average deceleration speeds on dry road conditions, used math to calculate stopping distances, etc... and otherwise have gone out of my way to use data from available studies.

You keep bringing up F1 and drag racing which are not activities the average person undertakes. So they're irrelevant to the discussion. I suspect you keep doing so to undercut the fact that driver reaction times have a range that can exceed double the average.

Anyways, off I go. I'm happy to live with the knowledge we won't agree.

E: on my way to the LRT and some old dude in a tesla tried to turn right on a fresh green and got halfway into the crosswalk before he realized he f***ed up and almost hit someone.

We do agree though.

You said keeping your speed lower can help you brake in time and lower risks of accidents or injuries.

I never disagreed.

I just added that there are also other factors at play as well as your speed, such as how skilled of a driver you are, and what kind of performance your car has.

We didn't even get into a cars performance for veering out of the way of a crash. Some SUVs will lose control even with a professional driver while some average driver in a coupe could make the manoeuvre effortlessly.

I agree with the other poster who said you should learn your cars limits in a closed circuit or an open empty parking lot. Know how quickly your car accelerates at the limit. Know how quickly your car brakes at the limit. Learn how your abs feels. Learn how your tires handle in snow. Etc. it can only help you to know what your car can and can't do.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1728083455560.jpeg

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Which ones? I'm a bit surprised to see Feild hockey that high but anything popular in Asia or India is going to be up there.
The whole things seems a little obscure. It uses countries, continents, and hemispheres as regions. India & Pakistan have less than 1.8 billion people combined. For baseball with the populations presented it would mean a little under half (1.2 billion) are fans.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The whole things seems a little obscure. It uses countries, continents, and hemispheres as regions.
So what? They are trying to describe where something is particularly popular, not the only place it's has fans, if it's country specific, use a country, if it's Continental, that's fine too.

India & Pakistan have less than 1.8 billion people combined.
Ok, cricket is played outside of India and Pakistan though, it just happens to be extremely popular there.

For baseball with the populations presented it would mean a little under half (1.2 billion) are fans.
Again, just because it presents locations where it's particularly popular in doesn't mean that's the only regions where there are fans.

Its also vague as to what a fan is. The threshold could be very high or very low, do you have to watch all the games, or actively follow a team, or just enjoy the occasional game.

It would be nice if it had sources, did they get these numbers by surveys, extrapolation from tv ratings or social media followers? Attendance at live events? Who knows.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
So what? They are trying to describe where something is particularly popular, not the only place it's has fans, if it's country specific, use a country, if it's Continental, that's fine too.

Ok, cricket is played outside of India and Pakistan though, it just happens to be extremely popular there.

Again, just because it presents locations where it's particularly popular in doesn't mean that's the only regions where there are fans.

Its also vague as to what a fan is. The threshold could be very high or very low, do you have to watch all the games, or actively follow a team, or just enjoy the occasional game.

It would be nice if it had sources, did they get these numbers by surveys, extrapolation from tv ratings or social media followers? Attendance at live events? Who knows.

Those numbers seem exaggerated if you mean fan to be someone who actively takes interest in the team...ie watches all the games, stay on top of all the news and rosters and stats...

Someone who watches the sens like 6 times a year with friends and cane name a few players isnt what we call a fan.

I would probably die those numbers by a factor of 10 if not more.

Like, there aren't like 750,000 sens fans in Ottawa..(half the population)

There probably isn't even 75,000 fans in Ottawa though that would be a lot more accurate than 750,000.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Lol. Anything to argue.

You believe some random picture from the internet and want to argue it's validity based on what exactly? I showed 3 things why I didn't believe them. It doesn't really matter if you agree. Had it said people of Indian and Pakistani heritage then ok but it did not say that now did it?

Maybe vague would have been a better synonym.

like you said, "who knows".

Last edited:

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Anyone camp at camping Ideal in Val Des Bois? We just moved there from Alfred.
We drive by alot on the way up to the cottage, always seems busy and a fun area for families. Also really good atv and snowmobile trail access if you're into that sort of thing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We drive by alot on the way up to the cottage, always seems busy and a fun area for families. Also really good atv and snowmobile trail access if you're into that sort of thing.
Gee always wanted a cottage. Must be nice.

Attachments

• 1728136173777.gif
    1728136173777.gif
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Lol. Anything to argue.

You believe some random picture from the internet and want to argue it's validity based on what exactly? I showed 3 things why I didn't believe them. It doesn't really matter if you agree. Had it said people of Indian and Pakistani heritage then ok but it did not say that now did it?

Maybe vague would have been a better synonym.

like you said, "who knows".
Well, the points you made weren't particularly relevant. Its not like baseball is only played in America and Japan, they could have completed left out the regions where the sports are popular with no real impact.

There's certainly questions as to how they came to the numbers, which I pointed out, in my response, it's a discussion board and I'm discussing, sorry that you are so sensitive to having your position critiqued..
Those numbers seem exaggerated if you mean fan to be someone who actively takes interest in the team...ie watches all the games, stay on top of all the news and rosters and stats...

Someone who watches the sens like 6 times a year with friends and cane name a few players isnt what we call a fan.

I would probably die those numbers by a factor of 10 if not more.

Like, there aren't like 750,000 sens fans in Ottawa..(half the population)

There probably isn't even 75,000 fans in Ottawa though that would be a lot more accurate than 750,000.
Ok, so my kids play baseball and soccer, but don't follow any teams. Are they fans of the sport? I don't follow any NFL teams but get together with friends to watch games. Am I a fan of the sport even if I'm not a fan of any particular team?

I think it's being lose with the term fan, but that's fine when identifying the popularity of a sport rather than a team.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Well, the points you made weren't particularly relevant. Its not like baseball is only played in America and Japan, they could have completed left out the regions where the sports are popular with no real impact.

There's certainly questions as to how they came to the numbers, which I pointed out, in my response, it's a discussion board and I'm discussing, sorry that you are so sensitive to having your position critiqued..

Ok, so my kids play baseball and soccer, but don't follow any teams. Are they fans of the sport? I don't follow any NFL teams but get together with friends to watch games. Am I a fan of the sport even if I'm not a fan of any particular team?

I think it's being lose with the term fan, but that's fine when identifying the popularity of a sport rather than a team.

Good point. Is this fandom of the sport or fandom of the pros in that sport.

Like I'm sure garrioch is a fan of the NHL or the senators, but I doubt he's a fan of the sport...as in, I doubt he enjoys playing hockey. I doubt he even plays any hockey, let alone enjoys it.

So it depends what we mean by fan for sure.

But if we're talking of fans of the high end levels of the game, we're probably seeing much smaller numbers.

Like, if you asked my mom if she likes hockey she'd probably say yes or sure...but she's never played...would never watch a game on her own...basically doesn't care. But her son plays hockey and is a die hard fan so she probably has fond memories of watching the sens with her son...but because she loves her son, not hockey.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad