OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Should have bought a 3rd gen 4runner then too. You wouldn't have to talk about Hyundai today.
I love the new Hyundai though. I really like the Elantra N but only in the blue colour and they try to charge you like 5k more for it. I think the Kona N is one of the best bangs for your buck right now and if it had a sunroof I'd have one I think.

I did just test drive a 2022 audi S3 and I loved it.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I love the new Hyundai though. I really like the Elantra N but only in the blue colour and they try to charge you like 5k more for it. I think the Kona N is one of the best bangs for your buck right now and if it had a sunroof I'd have one I think.

Audi. All road wagon with stick. I looked at old ones a couple of times over the last 10 years. Just got the Toyota fixed instead. I'm loyal to my old thing.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley
Audi. All road wagon with stick. I looked at old ones a couple of times over the last 10 years. Just got the Toyota fixed instead. I'm loyal to my old thing.
I was about to pull the trigger on a 4th gen V8 4R but instead got a 09 Touareg V6 TDI. Have since done the starter (dumbest placement of all time), brake pads + rotors, rear springs, control arms (seized bolts so that was fun), and about to do the oil pan which requires an engine hoist so I can drop the subframe for room. The turbo diesel is a blast and the sound system may be the greatest of all time, but I may have made the wrong choice.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I was about to pull the trigger on a 4th gen V8 4R but instead got a 09 Touareg V6 TDI. Have since done the starter (dumbest placement of all time), brake pads + rotors, rear springs, control arms (seized bolts so that was fun), and about to do the oil pan which requires an engine hoist so I can drop the subframe for room. The turbo diesel is a blast and the sound system may be the greatest of all time, but I may have made the wrong choice.
4th gen is nice. Only v8 in the runners. Only in an automatic. I think Tacomas are the only ones with standard now. If I remember right it went missing for a few years but they brought it back last year or something.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
1. The business owners whose livelihoods were destroyed, they need to be fully compensated and retrained should the business model change. I won't hear of "well find another line of work" crap that PS people say. That's bullshit. The PSW should find another line of work because they were hired under a certain structure and the onus is for them to return to their workplaces, not the other way around. If they help the business owners properl.y that are affected, then change it.

Why stop there?

The government should create a research department to find the descendants of the Whip and Buggy manufacturers and pay them reparations for being displaced by the auto industry….. oh, of course they should raise everyone’s taxes to fund this department and pay the descendants……

1723585232999.gif

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I know someone, that’s all he buys, but when needs repairing, it’s expensive.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I have suggested that my son consider a Hyundai Kona. Maybe a Kia Soul too.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Soul has no soul. Get him a decent beater. RWD stick. Crash that around for bit. When it brakes and he misses it, put him on Bring A Trailer.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Loyalty is the best policy. I am very loyal myself to things, people and places.
It has to be the Kona N though.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why is it that cars in Europe have way better fuel economy?

View attachment 900875
Just off the top of my head without looking into it, the European market is more willing to accept smaller cars that can navigate the older narrow streets, and smaller cars tend to have better fuel economy.

In North America, people seem to want the biggest car they can afford, likely in part due to marketing,

On top of that, US fuel efficiency regulations set the market, and they are based on the wheelbase, so manufacturers increase the wheelbase rather than the fuel efficiency because it's easier.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Just off the top of my head without looking into it, the European market is more willing to accept smaller cars that can navigate the older narrow streets, and smaller cars tend to have better fuel economy.

In North America, people seem to want the biggest car they can afford, likely in part due to marketing,

On top of that, US fuel efficiency regulations set the market, and they are based on the wheelbase, so manufacturers increase the wheelbase rather than the fuel efficiency because it's easier.

I think around here, people just want a vehicle that won't get stuck in a foot or more of snow because the plows are slooooooow. And that usually means an SUV or truck.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This assumes it's an either or situation. You can, and should do both, putting up speed cameras in no way prevents or hinders our ability to go after white collar crime. Like I said, it's whataboutism.

Also, there seems to be an assumption that it's perfectly safe to speed where the speed camera are because that's the way the road was designed, the problem is safety goes beyond road design, it's a combination of many factors, a big one being usage. Things like pedestrian traffic, bike traffic, public transit stops, driveway access, ect all factor in, if I design a road that's straight as an arrow and wide, but the usage and road design are out of sync, the speed limit needs to be adjusted to reflect usage, not road desing, and ideally, the road should have traffic calming measures added that reduces the "natural" speed a driver feels comfortable going. Add speed bumps, bike lanes that narrow the road or other lane narrowing measures (ideally bike lanes are completely separate).

People just see them setting up cameras everywhere. Cops hiding behind trees or pillars. They're everywhere when it comes to handing out tickets.

But then when your car gets stolen or some crime is committed and they're called, seem to do very little investigation other than taking a report and filing it away.

I'm not saying that's how it is, but I'm saying that's how it appears to the public. Then there are other things like how they get these fancy 100k cars every few years while the firetruck is from 1992.

I think a lot of people wish they would put more of their time and effort policing real crime rather than road pirates catching people going 10 over or rolling a stop sign at 2am when no one is around.

It's the look of it that makes it seem like their priorities are out of wack.

As for the roads and how they're designed, I agree that the city needs to alter the set up to make it less normal to speed. Add roundabouts or intersections. Add trees in the island. Add trees on the side. Have street parking. Have crosswalks.

Having a wide open multi lane straight road that a blind person could safely drive 80 down, and then having a 50 limit is stupid.

Alter the road set up. Make it dangerous for anyone to go over 50, and then everyone will slow down.

No one flies down bank street or Preston going 80 when there's no traffic because cars are parked up and down and there's signs and poles and benches a foot off the curb.

Walmart, Costco, Amazon have created the conditions that we live with today. They never sold us things in the beginning at the true cost because they had so much money that they could come into a market, undercut everyone, establish the market, and then gradually increase their prices when their competition lost market share. You see it everywhere especially with American corporations that have basically taken over our market. They pay taxes but all of those profits leave our economy. Toyota builds a product, Walmart doesn't, they provide a service. I take a city like Pembroke for an example. Back in the 80's and 90's It was a small town with a bustling main street full of stores and a local economy. They had a mall with a grocery store on one end and a Zellers on the other. When Walmart moved in Gradually over the next 10 years it killed so many businesses. As well with the chain restaurants, Home Depot etc. they destroy local economies because people don't understand the true cost of not buying local. 30's years ago people weren't complaining about prices being too high but everyone still wanted to save. When Walmart moved in during the mid 90's It was the first major domino to fall which led to the overtaking of our retail market. When Zellers was overtaken by Target that all but killed our department store industry. They left and a hole was left that has never been replaced. It almost feels like a this was planned and wasn't because of oversight by Target.

"Walmart is a powerful chain that sells everything from soup to shoes, Prime Time News anchor Pamela Wallin told viewers that night.

It offers consumers lower prices and often drives competitors right out of business."

These competitors were our National chains and local businesses and that money stayed in Canada.

It's like if the CFL dropped its import ratio's and allowed teams to put as many American players on their roster, The product would dramatically improve but that would mean next to no Canadian players would be signed or drafted. Down the road this would lead to even less people in Canada having the opportunity to play football professionally and kill what little interest is left.

If they increase their price, they lose their advantage and will be less successful.

The reason Walmart is more successful is because they still offer the cheapest price for most things.

As soon as they become the same price as everyone else, the mom and pop shops get a chance again.

Because if it's the same price, people will choose to go where the service is better. If it's way cheaper, then they'll go self checkout and not care about customer service.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Boston pizza is exactly what neighbourhoods don't need. That's chain garbage. I remember Moose Mcguires. Worked right next to them at Oktober Fest in Vankleek...shit...a looong time ago. Lol. Nice folks.

My point is we have everything. Big chains to little privately owned bars.

We have the bowling alley with pool tables and darts and karaoke and live bans. Live bans at barley mows. Private owned place like tap room... The list goes on.

The only thing we don't have is a club...but I've gone to Moxie's on wine Wednesdays and the place was packed and you couldn't walk and there was a DJ in the corner. Me and my friend were at the patio for couple hours so we didn't realize it got like that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
But, by using economies of scale to sell at prices that a small business can't possibly match, isn't the outcome still the same?
IE, what difference does it make that they "went after big retail" chains?

Isn't that what any successful business does? Grows revenue...more sales...more sales allow them to purchase more bulk at a lower price, allowing you to sell things at a lower price point and still make profit.

Should we be anti companies being successful enough to grow and cut costs and sale prices?

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
My post is pretty clear. I never compared Paris to Pembroke. I don't consider anything within the greenbelt the suburbs like most people. Your post is confusing.

You are the one that brought suburbs into the argument and now want to argument what defines them.

Suburbs or not has nothing to do with in the greenbelt or not. The fact you wouldn't consider beacon Hill a suburb because it's inside the greenbelt should give you a hint that your definition is skewed.

You should really start thinking is suburbs as somewhere where it's mainly houses. Urban living comes with it building up instead of out. Houses are building out. Apartments are building up.

If you see a lot of apartments around like you're at Lee's, you can start to talk about urban living. If you're walking down a bunch of side streets with single family homes and bungalows, you're in a suburb lol.

Reactions: Masked

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Is he interested in a 2010 Hyundai genesis coupe 3.8? RWD and manual.

Has a short shifter and cat back exhaust, but you'd also get the stock shifter and stock exhaust. Comes with winter tires on nice rims, winter matts, extra genesis emblems I have yet to put on...all the goodies lol I'm about to post the car this week.

Why is it that cars in Europe have way better fuel economy?

View attachment 900875

I believe those are all dinky cars. They don't sell well here.

Also, I think they have diesels which are better on gas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad