OT: Sens Lounge -The four seasons edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I have many times found better priced items for non food items at Canadian tire than at Walmart.
What exactly is the distinction between Canadian Tire and Walmart in the context of the discussion? To me, both are big corporate stores, so it's not surprising that they would each have certain areas where you might get a better deal from,

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The thing is if you shop around you can find way better deals on food than you would gt at costco. Costco also have way less inventory than your regular grocery store. Like I said the majority of their profits come from memberships.
There's a few items you can really get your membership worth out of, things like no name allergy meds and acetaminophen. Also, the quality of Kirkland brand tends to be higher than Walmart no name stuff

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
What exactly is the distinction between Canadian Tire and Walmart in the context of the discussion? To me, both are big corporate stores, so it's not surprising that they would each have certain areas where you might get a better deal from,
One is an American company and one is Canadian.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There's a few items you can really get your membership worth out of, things like no name allergy meds and acetaminophen. Also, the quality of Kirkland brand tends to be higher than Walmart no name stuff
Depending on the size of the family and how gluttonous they are the membership does end up paying for itself. This however is not Costco's strategy and what they count on. If we are comparing quality between Costco and walmart then Costco comes out the winner by a long shot. Everything they sell is of higher quality.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
I find Costco is good on average, but you can often get better deals by buying what happens to be on sale from the regular grocers. You might have to hit up a couple stores to get what you need though.
I tried the shop around thing for the "Don't buy Loblaws" for a month. Deoderant at Walmart is like 4$ vs 10$ at Shoppers. I drove all over. Loblaws owns most of the downtown area. To get to a Sobeys or Metro owned store is a drive. I'm not a fan of Metro. It will do in a pinch. Been thinking about a Costco membership for the Kirkland stuff, but I always just end up going to Levergnes in Navan.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One is an American company and one is Canadian.
Ok? Why does that matter?
Depending on the size of you family and how glutenous you are the membership does end up paying for itself. This however is not Costco's strategy and what they count on. If we are comparing quality between Costco and walmart then Costco comes out the winner by a long shot. Everything they sell is of higher quality.
Costco is unique in that it brands itself as a discount store, but for rich(er) people...

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Ok? Why does that matter?

Costco is unique in that it brands itself as a discount store, but for rich(er) people...
One helps our communities/economy and the other extracts. If people only supported Canadian like Americans are notorious for as well as different minority groups support their own we could retain much of our countries wealth. This goes for the industrial, tourism sectors too. We sold off national resources and manufacturing and do far more importing of domestic goods. This is not a sustainable balance that we have inherited and it keeps pushing us further away from being an independent state.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
You just compared the Glebe to Innes? You lost bro. Enjoy Boston Pizza.
No. I used your logic. Having a busy street wasn't a valid point in making something a suburb or not.

What was very obviously my point. Try to argue honestly.

We can all agree that all neighborhoods out side the greenbelt are suburbs and some inside by depending what definition you go with then? Just because there is a neighborhood with single family homes doesn't mean it's a suburb in my opinion. At one time when the city was small you would have classified the Glebe, Westboro, Beconhill, as suburbs but as the city intensifies and density expands from the center out these neighborhoods will lose that distinction. Orleans, Barhaven, Kanata are all in the process of building high rises, does this mean they no longer meet the suburban threshold? This not an important argument concerning the argument I was making.

For sure. I was just arguing to argue. I actually completely forget why suburbs were brought up. I just joined to argue haha.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Most of Kirkland's stuff is different packaged brand name stuff. Like, isn't their coffee made by Starbucks, for example?

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....
One helps our communities/economy and the other extracts. If people only supported Canadian like Americans are notorious for as well as different minority groups support their own we could retain much of our countries wealth. This goes for the industrial, tourism sectors too. We sold off national resources and manufacturing and do far more importing of domestic goods. This is not a sustainable balance that we have inherited and it keeps pushing us further away from being an independent state.

Costco is a publicly traded company. You can buy shares in it to retain profits in our country if you'd like.

I'd rather an American company comes to Canada to increase competition than having Galen Weston make even more money.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I tried the shop around thing for the "Don't buy Loblaws" for a month. Deoderant at Walmart is like 4$ vs 10$ at Shoppers. I drove all over. Loblaws owns most of the downtown area. To get to a Sobeys or Metro owned store is a drive. I'm not a fan of Metro. It will do in a pinch. Been thinking about a Costco membership for the Kirkland stuff, but I always just end up going to Levergnes in Navan.
Mmmmm lavergnes! If no one has been there before, you have to go. Such a good butcher shop. They let you sample everything. It's so good. I was a fussy eater as a kid, and normally wouldn't try all these "strange meats" (to me, something like prosciutto was strange) but then I tried one, and it was delicious, and another and it was delicious. Everything is sooooo good.

It's been a while since I've gone because my parents always bring some to the cottage so I get my fill on weekends.

My parents would drop me off at hockey practice in Navan and go lineup and buy all kinds of meats and then pick me up. There would be a lineup. Grab a ticket. When you're up, full service. Samples. Pick everything you want.

I think they had like 4 butchers from different backgrounds...like a German butcher, an Italian butcher. A french butcher. (I forget which)

Anyways, try it. So good.

Costco is a publicly traded company. You can buy shares in it to retain profits in our country if you'd like.

I'd rather an American company comes to Canada to increase competition than having Galen Weston make even more money.
I made quite a bit of money with my Wal Mart stocks lol. I used that money in Canada.

Reactions: Loach

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Mmmmm lavergnes! If no one has been there before, you have to go. Such a good butcher shop. They let you sample everything. It's so good. I was a fussy eater as a kid, and normally wouldn't try all these "strange meats" (to me, something like prosciutto was strange) but then I tried one, and it was delicious, and another and it was delicious. Everything is sooooo good.

It's been a while since I've gone because my parents always bring some to the cottage so I get my fill on weekends.

My parents would drop me off at hockey practice in Navan and go lineup and buy all kinds of meats and then pick me up. There would be a lineup. Grab a ticket. When you're up, full service. Samples. Pick everything you want.

I think they had like 4 butchers from different backgrounds...like a German butcher, an Italian butcher. A french butcher. (I forget which)

Anyways, try it. So good.

I made quite a bit of money with my Wal Mart stocks lol. I used that money in Canada.

Waltons net worth is around 1/3 of a trillion dollars.

f*** Walmart, and f*** that family, way more than Galen Weston (who is also a shit bag).

Its funny to see anyone arguing for one massive corporation or another. The simple truth is mega corporations benefit shareholders first and foremost. Across north America, over the course of decades, companies like Walmart have made former bustling downtown a ghost town. I'd rather pay more for my food and sundries and support a local, mom and pop business. And I do so anytime I can.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

f*** Walmart, and f*** that family, way more than Galen Weston (who is also a shit bag).

Its funny to see anyone arguing for one massive corporation or another. The simple truth is mega corporations benefit shareholders first and foremost. Across north America, over the course of decades, companies like Walmart have made former bustling downtown a ghost town. I'd rather pay more for my food and sundries and support a local, mom and pop business. And I do so anytime I can.
200.gif

Reactions: Relapsing

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

So by adding to the problem you are fixing it?

You know the saying "A rising tide lifts all boats"? Walmart comes into place with rock bottom prices forcing its competition to adjust. As the tide rises some competition start to sink. Eventually all of the small and medium stores sink leaving only yachts. You know who one of the top competitors for Walmart is in Ontario? Giant Tiger. That's like the titanic vs a row boat. Walmart has been trying to bye Giant tiger for years and you know why? Because Giant Tiger has small stores throughout the country in places too small for a traditional Walmart's. This is how they get a foot hold in rural places. They are the invasive species killing the echo system. Walmart is great for Loblaws

Walmart has a net income of 16 billion dollars, Loblaws as of 2022, 2 billion. Walmart is in 28 different countries and does the same thing.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The goal is to train people to think the are getting a better price. If you know that walmart is going to sell the staple items you use most like Milk, eggs, bread, laundry soap at the best price you won't notice where other things might be a few cents higher. Costco make their profits from memberships and by people feeling they have to get their money's worth from the subscription.

When Price Club (now Costco) first came to Ottawa, someone I played hockey with someone who worked there, and in addition to the profit brought in by membership fees, I was told when Costco makes a purchase from a supplier, they did not have to pay the supplier for 90 days, if memory serves me correctly….also, at the end of each day, the total receipts from sales are deposited into a 90 day GIC, and The interest earned is another source of profit for Costco…..

Does anyone else like the $7.99 rotisserie chicken sold at Costco?

Did you know there is a $2.00 savings that can be had on that chicken?

1723724458637.gif

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I literally told you I was a shareholder though.

And then you said "funny to see anyone arguing for X"

"They benefit shareholders first and foremost"

So then become a shareholder?

Look at all these mega companies. Google. Apple. Walmart. Amazon. Etc.

If you put $5,000 into their shares 10 years ago, what are you left with?

Google: ~30,000
Apple: ~55,000
Walmart: ~15,000
Amazon: ~45,000

Knowing this, you should play the game. Save up tighter on your budget. Invest any free cash.

I made 35% over the last year or two on only big recognizable stocks which allowed me to put a huge downpayment this year to my my first home. Without making 35% on my investments, I would have been budgeting for a much smaller house, or would have been stuck renting with my gf for another year or two.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Knowing this, you should play the game. Save up tighter on your budget. Invest any free cash.

I made 35% over the last year or two on only big recognizable stocks which allowed me to put a huge downpayment this year to my my first home. Without making 35% on my investments, I would have been budgeting for a much smaller house, or would have been stuck renting with my gf for another year or two.
Still got my Blockbuster stocks from the late 90s, lets see how they're doing, hmmm.... ok, ...uh....oh god no....

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018

Lol. What about my stance gave you the impression I want to invest in those kinds of companies?! I tend not to agree with their business models and practices (offshore manufacturing for cheap labour, using tax law loopholes, being "too big to fail", stock buy backs, bloated bonus programs for c-suite execs... Shall I go on?), so I think I'd feel pretty gross about making profit off the back of that kind of investment.

Congrats on buying a house though.

Im a small business owner. Everything goes back into the business right now. But thanks for the investment tips.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
Lol. What about my stance gave you the impression I want to invest in those kinds of companies?! I tend not to agree with their business models and practices (offshore manufacturing for cheap labour, using tax law loopholes, being "too big to fail", stock buy backs, bloated bonus programs for c-suite execs... Shall I go on?), so I think I'd feel pretty gross about making profit off the back of that kind of investment.

Congrats on buying a house though.

Im a small business owner. Everything goes back into the business right now. But thanks for the investment tips.
You should have invested in bitcoin and stuck it to the man.

In all seriousness what is your small business?

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
You should have invested in bitcoin and stuck it to the man.

In all seriousness what is your small business?
Ha! Yeah, probably.

Thanks for asking! I'm a woodworker/furniture maker and teacher - I design and build commission pieces, do repair work (especially love working on antiques) and teach group classes and 1 on 1 private classes for skills and projects.... And in my downtime I make wood and metal earrings and pendants.

Its been a busy summer. By Friday night I'll have been in the shop for 14 straight days.

To give a highlight of my summer, I helped a friend build a huge desk and conference table for the British High Commissioner out of 500+ year old oak pulled out of the Ottawa river. And now I gotta work with all this peasant wood.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
I hope you have some rest and self care planned too. Sometimes work can't be avoided, but 2 straigth weeks of work without a day off sounds beyond brutal.
Seconding this. Make sure to take care of yourself.
Never met a more wholesome group of cut ups, thanks guys.

This was a rare stretch for me, but it's gone quickly. I love what I do so that really helps. But a lot of late nights in this run which isn't so fun.

I only have one plan this weekend: resting. And maybe a massage. But mostly catching up on sleep!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad