OT: Sens Lounge LXXXVIV - Roman Numerals!!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm tempted to get tickets to go see them in Kingston for the last show.

That will probably be the most in-demand concert ticket in Canada over the last 20 years.

The number of Hip fans willing to make a pilgrimage to Kingston to see their last show ever, in the Hip's hometown, before Gord dies, will be in the multiple of hundreds of thousands.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
That will probably be the most in-demand concert ticket in Canada over the last 20 years.

Probably. Just gotta spam ticketmaster or whatever they're selling on as soon as they become available.

God damn this bums me out.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
If anyone needs me I'll be watching Tragically Hip videos all night.

I've spent the entire morning listening to Hip songs. Had forgotten how much I like them.

I remember years ago some music "experts" telling me that they weren't very good musicians... and maybe that's true. But some of their songs were brilliant.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I've spent the entire morning listening to Hip songs. Had forgotten how much I like them.

I remember years ago some music "experts" telling me that they weren't very good musicians... and maybe that's true. But some of their songs were brilliant.

Those "experts" can lick my ballsack*.

* inspired by Zorf

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Those "experts" can lick my ballsack*.

* inspired by Zorf

Mine too. The Hip always had a sound that was distinctly their own, and loads of passion. Downie's lyrics in and of themselves were amazing, give me deep metaphor over blatant and non subtle any day. I get that some people didn't like his voice, that comes down to taste. But I've heard people say that his lyrics were nonsensical. You just have to think about them, put them together. That's what makes them beautiful, they can mean many different things to many different people, no interpretation is wrong. That's art, that's breath taking.

Putting together some boys to see their last two shows in Ottawa and Kingston.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
These ants in my kitchen are in sufferable. Guys got any good ways to get rid of em?

I just tried caulk sealing the cracks around the kitchen, and putting dia-something powder in the corners

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
These ants in my kitchen are in sufferable. Guys got any good ways to get rid of em?

I just tried caulk sealing the cracks around the kitchen, and putting dia-something powder in the corners

What kind of ants do you have?

1) make sure to keep your house/kitchen as clean as possible. Ants thrive on eating all of the stuff you don't clean. Make sure they don't have an abundant food source. Seal all food in the cupboards too, so they can't get into that.

2) Keep a spray bottle of 1/4 vinegar - 3/4 water mix. Spray the surface of wherever you see that they have been. This messes with their scent trails, which they use to go back and forth to their nest.

3) Pour boiling water around the foundation of your house. If they are getting in via cracks in the foundation and the main nest is outside the house, that might slow them down. Won't kill them, but it'll offer a bit of a repreive.

4) they sell a sweet ant venom that ants love. Use that. Get the liquid kind, ants love it and they take it back to the nest and it poisons all the ants. The powder is useless, get the liquid. The harsher, the better.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I feel like a dumb ass for asking but here goes:

So I had a huge crush on a girl who is a receptionist in the building I work in. A while back I asked her if she had a boyfriend and she said she did so, hey I tried. I kept dropping in to see her about once a week cause I didn't want to be a dbag (if I can't be with you I don't care) and I do like her.

Now, been about a year, I find myself wanting to ask if she still has a boyfriend. Faux pas?

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008

So I had a huge crush on a girl who is a receptionist in the building I work in. A while back I asked her if she had a boyfriend and she said she did so, hey I tried. I kept dropping in to see her about once a week cause I didn't want to be a dbag (if I can't be with you I don't care) and I do like her.

Now, been about a year, I find myself wanting to ask if she still has a boyfriend. Faux pas?

Asking it in that way directly? Yes.
Now if you've been having regular casual conversations, you might be able to drop the only slightly less not-subtle line (but slightly more polite) of 'so how are things with the boyfriend' or something to that effect. Or use a long weekend or some other special occasion to ask if her and the boyfriend are doing something for it.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site

Don't even bring the boyfriend up. If you chat regularly, it would be perfectly fine to ask if she wants to go for a coffee or even lunch. You'd just be colleagues going out, you will know really fast if there is anything on her end. Keep asking to go out for a coffee, the worst that happens is you get to spend time with a hot woman even if it can't go any further. Not complicated, asking about a boyfriend immediately puts up a barrier, go out for coffee, the boyfriend will come up from her and you'll know from her if maybe their relationship isn't the greatest.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
What kind of ants do you have?

1) make sure to keep your house/kitchen as clean as possible. Ants thrive on eating all of the stuff you don't clean. Make sure they don't have an abundant food source. Seal all food in the cupboards too, so they can't get into that.

2) Keep a spray bottle of 1/4 vinegar - 3/4 water mix. Spray the surface of wherever you see that they have been. This messes with their scent trails, which they use to go back and forth to their nest.

3) Pour boiling water around the foundation of your house. If they are getting in via cracks in the foundation and the main nest is outside the house, that might slow them down. Won't kill them, but it'll offer a bit of a repreive.

4) they sell a sweet ant venom that ants love. Use that. Get the liquid kind, ants love it and they take it back to the nest and it poisons all the ants. The powder is useless, get the liquid. The harsher, the better.

Yeee just went and got the brand Terro or was it Terra?

Well whatever, these ants are going to say bye bye.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
It does sound good. I got so sick on lemon gin many, many decades ago and I can barely get by the smell anymore. But sipping with friends on a nice evening is doable.

Freshly squeezed lemons are usually nicer than lemon flavored stuff.

But there is always the one thing you can't stand... Smirnoff Ice is that one thing for me. But I actually quite enjoy the taste of good gin.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Early reviews of Warcraft are coming in now.

Looks like Angry Birds has a very good chance of retaining it's title of the best video game movie of all time.

I'm still not sure if that's more a glowing recommendation of Angry Birds (which friends that have seen it with their children say it actually a Lego Movie-lite <- ie. okay to good), or an indictment of how bad Warcraft is.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Angry Birds I'm assuming is just a safe formulaic script since they don't really have any 'canon' to restrict them perse, just character archetypes. Hence those reviews.
From the trailers, Warcraft looked Uwe Boll levels of bad.

Also Lego movie was freaking awesome

On a side note, finally saw Civil War on the long weekend. Liked it, though was not happy at all with the return of shaky cam fight choreography. Especially one of the first fights, it was so bad in 3d that the images weren't overlaying correctly for me. Was almost starting to feel sick

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Early reviews of Warcraft are coming in now.

Looks like Angry Birds has a very good chance of retaining it's title of the best video game movie of all time.

I'm still not sure if that's more a glowing recommendation of Angry Birds (which friends that have seen it with their children say it actually a Lego Movie-lite <- ie. okay to good), or an indictment of how bad Warcraft is.

1. As an aside life long gamer, I am insulted that people are referring to the angry birds movie as video game movie. Angry birds isn't a video game. It's a bloody iPhone app, which is fine but you wouldn't call a movie about poker, solitaire or a calculator a video game movie.

2. Lego Movie was a lot better than Okay to good. That movie should have legitimately been nominated for best picture that year, it was incredible. The only reason it wasn't was because the directors/producers told the academy to take their political bulk **** and shove it up their poop shoots.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Angry Birds I'm assuming is just a safe formulaic script since they don't really have any 'canon' to restrict them perse, just character archetypes. Hence those reviews.
From the trailers, Warcraft looked Uwe Boll levels of bad.

Also Lego movie was freaking awesome

On a side note, finally saw Civil War on the long weekend. Liked it, though was not happy at all with the return of shaky cam fight choreography. Especially one of the first fights, it was so bad in 3d that the images weren't overlaying correctly for me. Was almost starting to feel sick

Finally someone else who agrees with me on the choreography in Civil War. I really liked the movie but that was tough to take at times. Did you see it in a standard format or IMAX etc? I saw it in standard and wondered if that had anything to do with it.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
1. As an aside life long gamer, I am insulted that people are referring to the angry birds movie as video game movie. Angry birds isn't a video game. It's a bloody iPhone app, which is fine but you wouldn't call a movie about poker, solitaire or a calculator a video game movie.

2. Lego Movie was a lot better than Okay to good. That movie should have legitimately been nominated for best picture that year, it was incredible. The only reason it wasn't was because the directors/producers told the academy to take their political bulk **** and shove it up their poop shoots.

1. It's still a video game. Not a very deep or complicated video game, but it's still a video game. Quite frankly, it's on movies based on "real" video games to be better to take Angry Birds out of the conversation.

2. That's why I said Lego Movie-lite. Also, the Lego movie was a good movie, but I disagree about it being any more than good.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
1. It's still a video game. Not a very deep or complicated video game, but it's still a video game. Quite frankly, it's on movies based on "real" video games to be better to take Angry Birds out of the conversation.

2. That's why I said Lego Movie-lite. Also, the Lego movie was a good movie, but I disagree about it being any more than good.

Mortal Kombat is the best movie of all time. Reck-it-Ralph is great. The new Ratchet and Clank movie looks solid.

I liked some of the Resident Evil movies. Tomb Raider was decent. Prince of Persia pretty good too.

There's also something hilarious and amazing about Street fighter amd that bizarre Super Mario Bros movie.

I have a lot of hope for the Minecraft movie that the Always Sunny team is taking on. That could be great.

Angry Birds isn't a video game. Sudoku is more of a video game than angry birds. Threes is more of a video game than Angry birds, but they still wouldn't constitute a film adaptation that could be considered anything related to the gaming industry. STOP APPROPRIATING MY CULTURE ****LORD

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Mortal Kombat is the best movie of all time. Reck-it-Ralph is great. The new Ratchet and Clank movie looks solid.

I liked some of the Resident Evil movies. Tomb Raider was decent. Prince of Persia pretty good too.

There's also something hilarious and amazing about Street fighter amd that bizarre Super Mario Bros movie.

I have a lot of hope for the Minecraft movie that the Always Sunny team is taking on. That could be great.

Angry Birds isn't a video game. Sudoku is more of a video game than angry birds. Threes is more of a video game than Angry birds, but they still wouldn't constitute a film adaptation that could be considered anything related to the gaming industry. STOP APPROPRIATING MY CULTURE ****LORD

By best of all time, I just mean critically rated wise. Quite frankly, my favorite video game movie is Dead or Alive. >_>

The Ratchet and Clank movie is ****'ing awful dude. It's a pretty unanimous opinion from everyone that has see that movie.

Just because you don't like Angry Birds doesn't mean it's not a video game. I don't enjoy playing it either, but by just about by any definition of video game it fits the bill. It's not a great, deep or particularly good game, but you can't just exclude stuff you don't like from definitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad