OT: Sens Lounge LXXV | Future Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Getting 38.3% of the votes out of less than 50% of Ontario's population...

It sucks, but the problem is, you have to inspire people to the polls... "forcing" people to vote is just as bad as low voter turnouts.

50974801.jpg

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
As someone who has canvassed for Lisa, I'm torn. I think she's actually a pretty nice person but she also strikes me as the win at all costs (including some questionable things) type. I feel like her hatred towards the Liberals and NDP overshadow her desire to make Ontario a better place.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Nepean-Carleton represent!

It didn't matter who I voted for, because Lisa MacLeod was going to win anyway.

Yeah kind of the same in Kanata. They just need to put a blue chair and people will vote for it. LOL

Hudak lost this election with his "im going to fire a bunch of you".

Pitting one side of the population versus the other is not a way to lead. I seriously hope it serves as a wakeup call to the PC's that you can't just treat people that way.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think it will force the PC even more left, which is good (IMO).

More to the left socially is definitely OK. But, they have to remain conservative when it comes to finances. The province is in a horrible financial state right now. There's only so long you can borrow, and only so much you can tax the people & businesses.

McManked

Ooh to be a Gooner
Jan 16, 2011
Edmonton, AB
More to the left socially is definitely OK. But, they have to remain conservative when it comes to finances. The province is in a horrible financial state right now. There's only so long you can borrow, and only so much you can tax the people & businesses.

That's what I was meaning mainly.

They need a likeable leader that is aligned with the majority of the party's views and they should be contenders/front runners.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So....what are the odds we'd get a full moon on Friday the 13th?

better yet...I wonder if any tv stations will be running a Friday 13th marathon? hmmmm......

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
That's what I was meaning mainly.

They need a likeable leader that is aligned with the majority of the party's views and they should be contenders/front runners.

Agreed.

Perhaps John Baird might be the answer.

In other news, I'm desperately wishing I was at home right now. A day full of football. FIFA, FIFA, FIFA, Mexico v Cameroon, Spain v Netherlands, Chile v Australia, FIFA, FIFA, FIFA.

Who does everyone have winning? Any major upsets predicted in the group stage?

I've got Spain to beat Germany in the Finals, personally.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Agreed.

Perhaps John Baird might be the answer.

In other news, I'm desperately wishing I was at home right now. A day full of football. FIFA, FIFA, FIFA, Mexico v Cameroon, Spain v Netherlands, Chile v Australia, FIFA, FIFA, FIFA.

Who does everyone have winning? Any major upsets predicted in the group stage?

I've got Spain to beat Germany in the Finals, personally.

I have Brazil beating Spain in the final. I think they get it done on home soil.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
John Ivison (National Post) and Tim Harper (Toronto Star) are speculating that the next Ontario PC leader will likely come from the federal cabinet minister ranks.

Ivison says Lisa Raitt (transport) will be the next leader, Harper named Raitt, Tony Clement (neè health and industry and current president of the treasury board) and Kellie Leitch (labour and status of women) as likely candidates.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
John Ivison (National Post) and Tim Harper (Toronto Star) are speculating that the next Ontario PC leader will likely come from the federal cabinet minister ranks.

Ivison says Lisa Raitt (transport) will be the next leader, Harper named Raitt, Tony Clement (neè health and industry and current president of the treasury board) and Kellie Leitch (labour and status of women) as likely candidates.

So, instead of a Hudak taint, they'll have a Harper taint? When will that party ever learn? :shakehead

I swear the PCs are doing it on purpose. There's no way they can continue to run campaigns/strategies that are so obviously easy for the opposition to run into the mud and distort. It's like walking up to the world's best comedian and feeding him straight lines, and expecting a serious conversation. It ain't gonna happen.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Raitt makes sense, and Ivison is just bright and clued in enough that I'd believe it. Not sure I can see Leitch, though. She's good, but she's always struck me as somewhat shy. She'd get decimated just like Dion got decimated with the feds.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
So, instead of a Hudak taint, they'll have a Harper taint? When will that party ever learn? :shakehead

I swear the PCs are doing it on purpose. There's no way they can continue to run campaigns/strategies that are so obviously easy for the opposition to run into the mud and distort. It's like walking up to the world's best comedian and feeding him straight lines, and expecting a serious conversation. It ain't gonna happen.

I just wonder how long until someone creates a split. I'm convinced that's what PCO needs. Someone to create a PC splinter party that's more central to distance itself from the crazy right.

Because ever since the federal PCs merged with Reform, they keep going more and more over to the Reform side and it seems like Ontario followed suit.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Man a lot of interesting topics, lately!

Abortion: I believe human life begins when there is a heartbeat. I think if the parents feels that there is a baby inside her, then it should be protected by the law. I guess the reason why you shouldn't smoke or drink when pregnant is for the human inside you. Does the law not protect the fetus in cases where if there is a murder the fetus dying is a double homicide? I may have this confused with the US.

I have three kids, and personally that is what I think. Can you force that on all Canadians? I wish, but the reality is the abortion belief is tied heavily to religion and not everyone is the same religion. Christianity, Catholicism. I actually don't know what the Jewish or Muslim faiths believe. I have enjoyed watching my kids in the ulatrsound videos, awfully tough not to think that what you are seeing is not a human being!

But I get the political quandary...

Liberals winning essentially condones every single scandal that they have partaken. It is incredible to me that billions have been wasted and nobody seems to care. Liberals win because many rely on them to get by, pure and simple. This generation of Canadians, in Ontario, are not interested in tough love. Unions absolutely demolished the PCs with their convincing attack ads.

Hudak I never liked and while Lisa MacLeod got my vote as I am in Riverside South over the Liberal chauvinist ( I think) , his plan to cut jobs and tough love was the worst strategy in the history of Canadian politics. So easy for Wynne to say " I don't want to bring Ontario down, I want to build it up" when Hudak was the political Grim Reaper.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
If both parents dont want the kid and its just going to be born in to a terrible situation. Just abort it. We got enough humans as it is.

Or the Liberals won because its not hard to see the Conservatives are only interested in making the rich richer and the corporations more powerful while sucking everything possible out of the middle class and lower class.

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Or the Liberals won because its not hard to see the Conservatives are only interested in making the rich richer and the corporations more powerful while sucking everything possible out of the middle class and lower class.

Now every class can suffer together. :laugh:

The Liberals won because people think that Hudak and Horwath are horrible leaders. It wasn't about the platform. If anyone with charisma or any sense of likeability were in the same situation as Hudak was, it would have been a no contest.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Now every class can suffer together. :laugh:

The Liberals won because people think that Hudak and Horwath are horrible leaders. It wasn't about the platform. If anyone with charisma or any sense of likeability were in the same situation as Hudak was, it would have been a no contest.

Most people think Wynne is a terrible leader, too.

... just... slightly less-so?

I was honestly surprised to see a +50% voter turnout... kicked a multi-decade trend!

Mr Invidious

May 12, 2014
Most people think Wynne is a terrible leader, too.

... just... slightly less-so?

I was honestly surprised to see a +50% voter turnout... kicked a multi-decade trend!

Definitely. I thought they were all awful. And so did most people. But, like you said yesterday, I believe she was perceived to be the most likeable of the bunch... which happens to be like 1.5/10. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad