Management Sens hire Rob DiMaio as Director of player development and Pro Scouting

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Loach, I did get your original comment. So, an apology if you meant it differently.

Stay away from caffeine. Fiber is good.. Protein is good/better, especially plant based.. Cheese is okay, but in moderation.

Fiber gives you gas, but when you get to be my age, farting in public is not something you give a f*** about.
Only if you linger do you care! :)

• Haha
Reactions: Beech

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bowness isn’t Staios’ guy, and he doesn’t need to be an Asst. GM before he’s made a GM.

I’d be surprised if DiMaio wasn’t the GM within the next year or two with Staios jumping back to the POHO duties.

They never just lucked into him leaving the Ducks last week and made an offer, those talks were likely ongoing, he was given a plan for him, and I’d imagine that coincides with Staios giving up the GM role he was forced into.
I was surprised that DiMaio was not named an Assistant GM responsible for PD and Drafting. Bowness would do other things as AGM.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Bowness isn’t Staios’ guy, and he doesn’t need to be an Asst. GM before he’s made a GM.

I’d be surprised if DiMaio wasn’t the GM within the next year or two with Staios jumping back to the POHO duties.

They never just lucked into him leaving the Ducks last week and made an offer, those talks were likely ongoing, he was given a plan for him, and I’d imagine that coincides with Staios giving up the GM role he was forced into.
I did not get the impression Staios was "forced into the GM" position. He said he chose it.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Not a Staios hire, I wouldn't count on it.
well the way Staios spoke about him during his press conference introducing Poulin, i wouldn’t count it out just because he was a Dorion hire.

Paraphrasing here but Staios said something along the lines: “i kept looking outside the organization at potential candidates for GM position and i kept looking back thinking we have the candidate already here”. He was “promoted” from assistant GM to Associate GM for what its worth.

LiseL

Sep 25, 2023
well the way Staios spoke about him during his press conference introducing Poulin, i wouldn’t count it out just because he was a Dorion hire.

Paraphrasing here but Staios said something along the lines: “i kept looking outside the organization at potential candidates for GM position and i kept looking back thinking we have the candidate already here”. He was “promoted” from assistant GM to Associate GM for what its worth.
I believe Andlauer also mentioned him and Erin in finance as great people within the organization as well as discussing promoting from within. This was at one of the early press conferences (either the one after he bought the franchise or the one when he hired SS, can't remember which). They may not have been hired by MA or SS but that doesn't mean they're not wanted.

Reactions: Cosmix

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Rookie President/Gm move. Washed old guy. Should have got a young new set of eyes. Not Best in Class.

Is that how it's done?
Rinse repeat. Don't forget this angle. It also took them too long.

Add/Edit

Wild narratives and assumptions about the hiring to groom someone for the GM job. Why is everyone so caught up on titles? So strange, the concept of a POHO and a GM really doesn't make sense. What's the actual difference? POHO has final say? Is that the argument? Or people just need to feel better about it because they dont want Staios as GM?

If they had hired Dimaio for any other title why did they name him director of player Development and pro scouting?

They are building hockey ops to support Staios. He trusts his people around him he will delegate this isnt Pierre Dorion who cant work with others.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Not counting it out but I don't think it's by any means a sure thing,

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
He hired a veteran guy to help out in the front office. I wouldn't read much more into it than that. The only thing I would read into the hiring is that they probably want Dimaio around for the draft/off season. Dude should have as good a grasp as anyone on prospects, guys in the AHL and pro talent, given his previous positions. Handy guy to have around when you are about to make some major moves drafting/signing/trading.

And I believe the Sens canned a lot of the previous guys, so you need new faces and their knowledge asap.

Reactions: Cosmix and DrEasy

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Add/Edit

Wild narratives and assumptions about the hiring to groom someone for the GM job. Why is everyone so caught up on titles? So strange, the concept of a POHO and a GM really doesn't make sense. What's the actual difference? POHO has final say? Is that the argument? Or people just need to feel better about it because they dont want Staios as GM?

If they had hired Dimaio for any other title why did they name him director of player Development and pro scouting?

They are building hockey ops to support Staios. He trusts his people around him he will delegate this isnt Pierre Dorion who cant work with others.

POHO can focus more on reaching across the aisle to the business side of things.

I don't see Staois as being threatened at all, I actually see the opposite in that he has retained or brought in a small handful of guys who are at least on the cusp of consideration for GM jobs around the league. There isn't anyone with real GM experience, but there's a lot of depth in the group and they are still adding people to the staff.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
POHO can focus more on reaching across the aisle to the business side of things.

I don't see Staois as being threatened at all, I actually see the opposite in that he has retained or brought in a small handful of guys who are at least on the cusp of consideration for GM jobs around the league. There isn't anyone with real GM experience, but there's a lot of depth in the group and they are still adding people to the staff.

I don’t think being an NHL GM is hard, Pierre Dorion did it.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Why would you want a hockey guy in the business side?.... Why don't you just see it as he's the GM and he brought in help?..... and continues to build hockey ops.... That's why Dimiao has the title that he gave him.....

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Why would you want a hockey guy in the business side?.... Why don't you just see it as he's the GM and he brought in help?..... and continues to build hockey ops.... That's why Dimiao has the title that he gave him.....
Staios was brought in to be POHO originally, so it isn't outlandish to think he'll eventually return to that role.

Idk if they picked up DiMaio for anything other than the job they hired him for, but I could see the team planning for down the road to promote from within, and in order to do that you need to stock the shelves with good candidates. Bowness and DiMaio are just that, good candidates.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Add/Edit

I agree that having both a POHO and a GM does not make sense.

Having Associate or Assistant GMs responsible for specific roles under the GM makes sense.

I see on the Senators web site that the Assistant Coach positions show Capuano and Alfredsson with Martin as an advisor to the coaching staff. I wonder if this will be the case starting next season.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I don’t think it’s feasible to not have a POHO and a GM when you have a modern Hockey Operations.

You’ve got Medical Services, Strength and Conditioning/Nutrition, Analytics, Scouting Pro and Amateur, Player Development, Cap and contracts, Team travel and other services. I want the GM focused on the coaching staff and roster in season.

Reactions: DrEasy and PlayOn

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
I don’t think it’s feasible to not have a POHO and a GM when you have a modern Hockey Operations.

You’ve got Medical Services, Strength and Conditioning/Nutrition, Analytics, Scouting Pro and Amateur, Player Development, Cap and contracts, Team travel and other services. I want the GM focused on the coaching staff and roster in season.
The role of a POHO was created to stop idiot General Managers from hurting teams.

These are 1-3 Billion dollar industries. The owners are rarely around. Presidents of the club, are sales/Marketing/finance/public relations guys. And cannot tell the Left wing lock, from a bicycle lock.

So in order to not have morons, trade Mark Stone, for Brannstrom and a 2nd. Which ended up being Sokolov. Thus effectively trading Stone for a bag of pucks!! And then declare that it is the best day of his life. You install a safety check. A hockey man who reviews and approves. Who is not hands deep and can see things clearly. Can ask around, etc.

so, the POHO is a safety feature. Hopefully, No more trades of Stone for a bag of pucks. No more trading picks to give up K'andre Miller for JBD and Johnny Tychonic.

Staios is now the Editor, the proof reader, the fact checker, the guy who makes sure I's are dotted and T's crossed. And so a qualified, experienced GM is still needed.

DiMaio has never been that, nor has he been close. He has not even been permanently located at team headquarters. Moving him into the GM role, is the kind of crap we have been dealing with for some time now.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
The role of a POHO was created to stop idiot General Managers from hurting teams.

These are 1-3 Billion dollar industries. The owners are rarely around. Presidents of the club, are sales/Marketing/finance/public relations guys. And cannot tell the Left wing lock, from a bicycle lock.

So in order to not have morons, trade Mark Stone, for Brannstrom and a 2nd. Which ended up being Sokolov. Thus effectively trading Stone for a bag of pucks!! And then declare that it is the best day of his life. You install a safety check. A hockey man who reviews and approves. Who is not hands deep and can see things clearly. Can ask around, etc.

so, the POHO is a safety feature. Hopefully, No more trades of Stone for a bag of pucks. No more trading picks to give up K'andre Miller for JBD and Johnny Tychonic.

Staios is now the Editor, the proof reader, the fact checker, the guy who makes sure I's are dotted and T's crossed. And so a qualified, experienced GM is still needed.

DiMaio has never been that, nor has he been close. He has not even been permanently located at team headquarters. Moving him into the GM role, is the kind of crap we have been dealing with for some time now.
Did you say you're an engineer?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

So what dowa the POHO do then? His job is to be the GM's boss?... And?...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad