TSN: Senators looking to add a top 9 forward, willing to deal picks and prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
atm Grieg not with the varsity, so

Krav + Strome at half = 2.25 + Hajek + Geo + two 2022 4ths [NYR + WPG]
for
Grieg + Pinto + OTT 2022 2nd

something like that, then follow up
option to do Geo + for Yama +

so assuming you keep Strome that is likely adding 3 Fs, losing 2 = net 1 F added.
or if you flip Strome at half or even mo ridiculous w/another 50% retained that is still 2 in and 2 out, and again, that does not reflect Grieg not w/Sens atm

something like that?

Absolutely not.

Reactions: Jack Maxwell

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

for

so assuming you keep Strome that is likely adding 3 Fs, losing 2 = net 1 F added.
or if you flip Strome at half or even mo ridiculous w/another 50% retained that is still 2 in and 2 out, and again, that does not reflect Grieg not w/Sens atm

something like that?

So much effort into such an awful proposal.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

for

something like that?

Lol the Oilers aren’t trading Yamamoto for Geo.

If they’re sending assets out it’s for a sure fire upgrade not a “maybe he’s better, maybe he’s not” if they can’t clearly upgrade then I’d wager they’ll go with what they have.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Lol the Oilers aren’t trading Yamamoto for Geo.

If they’re sending assets out it’s for a sure fire upgrade not a “maybe he’s better, maybe he’s not” if they can’t clearly upgrade then I’d wager they’ll go with what they have.

fine
Yama is no great shakes

Geo is inconsistent, but can stonewall.
Obv what you guys have don't do that enuf, or you would not be looking for upgrade.
Stay pat and let's see what that gets you by season's end

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
fine
Yama is no great shakes

Geo is inconsistent, but can stonewall.
Obv what you guys have don't do that enuf, or you would not be looking for upgrade.
Stay pat and let's see what that gets you by season's end

Keyword “upgrade” which Geo is not and the numbers prove that. Koskinen and Geo are basically interchangeable, very similar numbers and both inconsistent. If the Oilers are spending assets on a goalie they’re going to make a splash not a lateral move.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I don't think so. I think he's more looking for someone to be a long-term piece at Center.

1. Center is where Ottawa is weakest. They have lots of wing depth, especially at LW.

2. They are likely looking for something long-term, not a UFA or a rental. They probably want someone who can be with the team for 4-5 seasons. They have Tierney coming off the books in the offseason which opens cap room. If they do find someone good, White could get bought out in the offseason super cheaply which would open up even more cap room to retain a big piece.

He is likely looking for a Center on a struggling team looking for a shake-up. If the Rangers had struggled he'd be looking at Ryan Strome or if the Sharks had started poorly, Hertl.

If Seattle continues to struggle 15-20 games into the season., he could look at one of their Centers. He already went after Wennberg in the offseason.
Its hard to say what the Senators requirements really are i.e., longer term contract versus shorter term stop gap, ETC.

The only thing that might be suggestive or shed some light are:

1. Melnyk said that they are looking at adding a center and defender back in the summer/offseason. It's Melnyk though, so you never know and skepticism about him spending money is always warranted.

2. Recent injuries at the center position & forwards in general.

There is debate on this every day on the Senators board. I'm not suggesting anything specific, just that there's debate and that probably everyone (with the exception of a true insider or Senators staff) are just guessing. No disrespect to anyone or anyone's options are intended.

ALSO - Senators just traded for Gambrell in exchange for a 7th.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Marner only makes about 8M in real case the rest of the way, per year. That seems to be the limit on what Melnyk is willing to pay a player, and Marner having a higher cap hit than real $$$ is something the Sens seem to like as well.

It will never happen, and my comment was more, in cheek, but I dont think it is impossible, per se.

Marner is not what the senators are trying to build there. Look at that lineup and the drafting, they're looking for guys that are tough to play against.

And then obviously the contract. Wouldn't be so bad if he was top of his game every night but he's just not. Looks emotional often. I don't get it but hard pass on any Marner offer in my opinion.

And, Marner's contract includes Signing Bonuses, hence it would be a very unlikely deal for Melnyk.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa

for

something like that?

I legit wouldn’t give Pinto alone for those spare parts.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
And, Marner's contract includes Signing Bonuses, hence it would be a very unlikely deal for Melnyk.

Probably. From a "trade him to a budget team" point of view though, Marner's value will never be higher than on July 1 2022. Bonus for that season paid and under contract for 3 more years for a total of just $16.8m. If you can live with the cap hit and writing two $8m cheques you are getting very good value out of your $5.6m per year.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
The Sens problem is pretty clear and its not forward depth. They have 3 NHL dmen in Chabot, Zub, Holden. Then 3 bargain bin fringe NHL dmen in Mete, J. Brown, MDZ. Zaitsev is also a total mess right now.

The need a top 4 dman like yesterday.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
The Sens problem is pretty clear and its not forward depth. They have 3 NHL dmen is Chabot, Zub, Holden. Then 3 bargain bin fringe NHL dmen in Mete, J. Brown, MDZ. Zaitsev is also a total mess right now.

The need a top 4 dman like yesterday.
Sanderson is on the way, but the team needs another top 4 RD. Zaitsev is awful.

Reactions: SensFactor

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Probably. From a "trade him to a budget team" point of view though, Marner's value will never be higher than on July 1 2022. Bonus for that season paid and under contract for 3 more years for a total of just $16.8m. If you can live with the cap hit and writing two $8m cheques you are getting very good value out of your $5.6m per year.
OK, not disagreeing that if a bonus is already paid out, then that leaves less for a GM to pay out.

But, Marner's signing bonuses extend to the end of his contract which is 2024-25. So, you need an Owner willing and able to pay out signing bonuses for more than just year and until 2024-25. That seems like a completely out of character thing for Melnyk based on history. As they say, cash (and/or cash flow) is king.

Things are very different for rich/richer teams and fans of rich/richer teams versus poorer/poor teams and fans of poorer/poor teams. The perspective that fans of rich teams have is often misplaced and not applicable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad