Low Effort GDT Senators in La Belle Province to beat up some scrubs | Tuesday October 1st, 2024, 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
I just don't see a true role for Gregor. He's speedy and has decent skill but not enough to really warrant a top 9 role, but also doesn't really play a physical/checking game that would warrant a 4th line role. He probably has a roster spot locked up just based on the fact management signed him to a 1-way just a few months ago, but I don't think it'll be on merit.
Hopefully Gregor's speed allows the 4th line to be effective in getting the puck out of the D zone and applying pressure in the Ozone. I think there's more than one way to be a good 4th line, but what do I know?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Game was actually in Ottawa and the last of the preseason. A lot of the players were in Belleville and got called up to play that game. It was an intentional move by DJ. They will be I Detroit on Friday and back in Ottawa on Saturday to play Montreal for the last game of the preseason. Will be interesting to see who plays.

Touche.

Here's the GDT:

GDT: - SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

It was every single forward competing for a bottom six role and every single defenceman competing for a bottom pairing role.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Game was actually in Ottawa and the last of the preseason. A lot of the players were in Belleville and got called up to play that game. It was an intentional move by DJ. They will be I Detroit on Friday and back in Ottawa on Saturday to play Montreal for the last game of the preseason. Will be interesting to see who plays.
I hope they just skip it or do the same thing as last year. Montreal is a terrible team, clearly with an agenda dont play anyone that might get injured please.

Gregor fills a 4th line role nicely, plays with a ton of pace dont see how he isnt a fit there and on the PK. At league minimum thats fine, they need guys that can stretch the zone.

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Those are my 3 concerns for making the playoffs as well.

Depending on what the end goal is, if it's to win a cup, I would say my worry is also the lack of star players. And I'm not sure how to get more. We won't have high draft picks...have to give up a first... we're going to have to hope to find an Alfredsson/Datsyuk/Zetterberg or something to be a true contender. (Someone who comes out of nowhere to be a top 30 player in the league)
Or you follow the Vegas model where you don't have a lot of stars up front but a lot of good players who can do it by committee. Granted, Vegas has a heavy team on the back-end, something else the Sens need to address at some point.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Here's the GDT:

GDT: - SENS @ Habs, Wednesday night 7:00 pm on TSN5

It was every single forward competing for a bottom six role and every single defenceman competing for a bottom pairing

Think we are referencing different games. I was talking about the October 7th game. I may be a little mixed up, they might have had a stronger reaction to this game to be honest.

Reactions: NyQuil

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
If we're going with realistic odds, we have no shot at the Cup this year. We haven't made the playoffs in 7 years and will have to learn how to lose in the playoffs like everyone else (Tampa, Edmonton, Colorado and even Florida did)

I like our potential regarding star power at G + D but F is a question mark

G : Ullmark (if he extends) + Sogaard/Merilainen/???

D : Sanderson + Chabot + Yakemchuk

F : Stutzle + Tkachuk + Batherson

So the problem might be at F going forward. Giroux and Perron are too old now and will only be stop gaps. Norris could be in that group but due to his shoulder injuries, it's unpredictable at this point. I love Pinto and Greig but I think they are luxury support players and not stars. Guys like Halliday and Ostapchuk are nice but they are support at best too.

So I agree, in the next few years we'll need to find another star forward and at least another Top-6 guy to replace Giroux

Another brief analysis that shows how inept Dorion's management was. We should be stacked at all positions with still a good prospect pool considering the time we rebuilt and the wealth we started with.
You included Yakemchuk so I think you're looking at what we have going forward. I'd replace Chabot with Kleven in that conversation. Chabot hasn't look very good in a long time, nevermind going forward IMO.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Boucher could still work if he could stay healthy and learn how to fight lol.

He just needs to stay healthy in the AHL and lay big hits and maybe train with an ex enforcer and literally just come here a year or two from now and just hit everything that moves and kick some ass. He would also have a decent base level of skill, and wouldn't be like a parros level plug or whatever.
Meh, that's a tall order lol

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Just goes to show how underrated Watson was for us. Gonna keep bringing that up lol, even if now he is past his expiry date. He really enabled Kelly and Kastelic to dial it up physically as well.

Kastelic would have been nice to keep, but there were definitely some attitude problems there that needed to be solved through a trade, which remains to be seen.
Neither watson or kastelic are gonna enforce much

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
Could somebody find a list of good players from the Ottawa area? Let's say 27 y/o and older

It'd be nice to luck out into another Giroux situation. There's also Quebec players who could be interested in being closer to home.

I think we might be able to attract good support players if we become a good playoff team but star players in their prime? Hard to say, we didn't attract many during our 11 years playoffs streak
Yeah, but did we even need them during that timeframe? We couldn't keep Hossa and Chara due to money constraints. We had solid teams back then, built through drafting and trades. Oh, those were the days.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

A funny anecdote about Watson was a Preds fan who came in here asking about Boro after we had basically exchanged him for Watson.

"A good team guy, will block shots with his face if he has to in order to help his team, not particularly skilled, fights a lot, usually loses."

He said, "OMG, you just described Watson!"

LiseL

Sponsor
Sep 25, 2023
vast majority of vets don't care about preseason and aren't going all out so that they don't get injured. Even in winning programs
I don't think competing necessarily means going all out, but it certainly means not being asleep the first 30 minutes of the game. I know most vets mail it in, but I've noticed that many of those same vets also mail it in during some regular season games which is the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There is no way that Watson would have let last night's game end without doing something, even if it was just assaulting somebody's knuckles with his face. He was not good at the technical aspects of fighting - which is probably to be expected from someone who only started doing it at 25 - but he never needed to be told twice what his job was.

Thus far in pre-season, MacEwen has stood by while Donovan Sebrango fought Ryan Reaves, Jan Jenik fought Boko Imama and Arber Xhekaj tried to decapitate Stutzle. What's up with that?

Seems like he's no longer willing or able to do the single line-item on his job description.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
There is no way that Watson would have let last night's game end without doing something, even if it was just assaulting somebody's knuckles with his face. He was not good at the technical aspects of fighting - which is probably to be expected from someone who only started doing it at 25 - but he never needed to be told twice what his job was.

Thus far in pre-season, MacEwen has stood by while Donovan Sebrango fought Ryan Reaves, Jan Jenik fought Boko Imama and Arber Xhekaj tried to decapitate Stutzle. What's up with that?

Seems like he's no longer willing or able to do the single line-item on his job description.
I agree. Watson knew his role. What purpose does MacEwan serve here? I thought he was supposed to replace Watson as the punching bag at minimum, but I don't see him drop the mitts much.

Reactions: Bileur and NyQuil

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I have zero issues with a player that doesn't want to fight, but he literally has no other purpose on this team, seems like he wants to play in Belleville, maybe the wife isn't a fan of Ottawa life?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
No matter who else was on the team, Brady is going after anyone who cheap shots Stu or G like that. No question.

Brady is Brady, he enjoys that part of the game and will always stick up for his guys, especially in the heat of the moment.

What we do need are other guys who can step up when games get hot. Ostapchuk has some solid fights, and Jenik appears to be pretty fearless, but we still lack a guy on D.

I’d like to see Kleven be more aggressive, but we may have to wait and see if the big mean Swede can make the show!

We don’t need fighters, we need hitters and aggressive players that don’t mind the rough stuff, maybe even like it, Boucher does, like Brady does, like The Swede (lol), those are the guys that heat up.

Most big guys tend to be gentle and hesitant to fight, and most players don’t enjoy hitting hard.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
I think Cousins will be a good player for them, but you're right the jury is out on Amadio & Gregor, I would have preffered the acquisition of a legitimate tough guy who is a good fighter on the 4th line who can play. We need Chris Neil.
Well guys like Chris Neil are so easy to get that he's the guy you use as an example 7 years after he retired! In reality those type of guys are rare.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
Enforcement is overrated. There is no such thing as a deterrent.

Look at the Toilet Seat boys. Jackeye is a true heavyweight, and their last 2 opponents behaved like he doesn't exist. Pare ran at Laine, injuring him. Another guy hurt Rickenbacher. Greig went after Dach late. Nobody acts like they're scared of Jackeye at all.

Watch the Leafs. Teams take runs at them as much as any other team, nobody is scared of Reaves.

Yeah, we don't want Tkachuk fighting. Guys like Ostapchuk, MacEwan, Hamonic and Kleven can handle the fights when they are needed, which isn't very often.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Enforcement is overrated. There is no such thing as a deterrent.

Look at the Toilet Seat boys. Jackeye is a true heavyweight, and their last 2 opponents behaved like he doesn't exist. Pare ran at Laine, injuring him. Another guy hurt Rickenbacher. Greig went after Dach late. Nobody acts like they're scared of Jackeye at all.

Watch the Leafs. Teams take runs at them as much as any other team, nobody is scared of Reaves.

Yeah, we don't want Tkachuk fighting. Guys like Ostapchuk, MacEwan, Hamonic and Kleven can handle the fights when they are needed, which isn't very often.
No he didn't...

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Macewen barely fights when needed. If Ostapchuk is willing then I wouldn't mind keeping him around over Macewn.

Kleven is big but he doesn't seem to throw his weight around that much yet. I can see the potential but I am not sure why he is gifted a spot if he is not bringing the rough stuff to the game aswell

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Saw a headline that Montreal called up 2 physical players from Laval for the game against Ottawa.

For fun what would be the toughest lineup we could ice against Montreal between our NHL and AHL squad?

When do we get updates on stu and chuck?

Didn't we hear yesterday that all 3 players are fine and good to go?

Reactions: SpezDispenser

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Well you've had delusional takes before and here is another doozy!
Stu is nowhere near the puck and Xhekaj comes from the side and leads with his elbow. Clearly interference and if AX connects solidly like he meant to we are talking a sit down hearing with the NHL.
Xhekaj is a head case as demonstrated in 2 straight games who clearly doesn't care if he injuries other players or not. He's bad for the game.
Why are you being such a prick? If you disagree with something I post, just state your opinion and rationale. Why add the "delusional takes"? If you're looking for serious discussion, why add that? If you're not, then why respond?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad