2024 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That's a trade deadline type of move.

Being able to run a top 4 like this during crunch time:

Miro - Andersson
Lindell - Harley

Is massive for the playoffs.

Andersson also has a relatively small cap hit (4.55M), is an upcoming UFA, and will almost certainly be available at the deadline.
it would be massive, but it won't happen.

Also trade deadline is 4 months away. No sense watching out for something that's about as likely to happen as a Jessica Alba, Margot Robbie 3 way

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
it would be massive, but it won't happen.

Also trade deadline is 4 months away. No sense watching out for something that's about as likely to happen as a Jessica Alba, Margot Robbie 3 way
I'm just relaying what I've been told...

I can tell you at one point last season the main target was Hanifin before they pivoted to Tanev.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Nill in a power struggle with the coach who has taken this team to back-to-back Conference Finals and potentially souring the relationship over the #6 defenseman is an interesting take.

Makes Jerry Jones almost seem normal.

There's not a single hockey player out there that would have came back to the situation they were in if it wasn't discussed with the coach. Lundkvist will get every opportunity as the #6 because we are weak down that side, not because the GM is in the coaches ear.
Do you really think he had better offers? Based on his play last season I doubt it. He was UFA, he could have signed elsewhere. He didn't, likely because he didn't get a better offer? Also, by signing with the Stars he knew he'd continue to be protected by the GM who traded for him.

Last edited:

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Nill in a power struggle with the coach who has taken this team to back-to-back Conference Finals and potentially souring the relationship over the #6 defenseman is an interesting take.

Makes Jerry Jones almost seem normal.

There's not a single hockey player out there that would have came back to the situation they were in if it wasn't discussed with the coach. Lundkvist will get every opportunity as the #6 because we are weak down that side, not because the GM is in the coaches ear.
It's a low stakes power struggle over a #6 defenseman who makes 1.25 million, but it's still a power struggle. It's emblematic of how Nill wants to play -- why he targeted the player, why he retained the player. DeBoer ain't on board so on we go. It's also why some of the media proclamations about the situation are funny.... Nils has to be THE GUY by Game 10! Like, why?

Coaches come and go, even those with deep playoff runs. I'm not sure anyone points to our coaching as some incredible strength.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
It's a low stakes power struggle over a #6 defenseman who makes 1.25 million, but it's still a power struggle. It's emblematic of how Nill wants to play -- why he targeted the player, why he retained the player. DeBoer ain't on board so on we go. It's also why some of the media proclamations about the situation are funny.... Nils has to be THE GUY by Game 10! Like, why?

Coaches come and go, even those with deep playoff runs. I'm not sure anyone points to our coaching as some incredible strength.
Year 3 of a Steve Spott PP about to cost Deboer another job.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Year 3 of a Steve Spott PP about to cost Deboer another job.
maybe they do this more than i see it reported, but it's crazy to me that teams aren't hiring tons of analysts like college football teams do.

give yourself competitive advantages where the cap doesn't apply. get extra eyeballs, self scouting. opponent scouting. there's soooo much that can be done and it seems like it's down to one video guy cutting up tape for the players directly, and just a few coaches.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I don't even see a minor power struggle because I don't see any reason to thinks Nill disagrees with DeBoer at all. Two seasons in a row now Nill has added defensemen mid-season knowing those additions would push Lundkvist to the scratch list.

I think Nill retained him for another season because it's a zero-risk gamble. If Lundkvist actually does improve, then great. If he's still the same guy, he's an inexpensive healthy scratch who probably ends up on waivers.

maybe they do this more than i see it reported, but it's crazy to me that teams aren't hiring tons of analysts like college football teams do.

give yourself competitive advantages where the cap doesn't apply. get extra eyeballs, self scouting. opponent scouting. there's soooo much that can be done and it seems like it's down to one video guy cutting up tape for the players directly, and just a few coaches.
What shocks me about the Stars is how the PP1 unit they assemble the first day of camp will remain intact the entire season.

Reactions: eartotheground

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad