Confirmed with Link: Senators Announce Training Camp Roster

SensFanInMTL

Apr 25, 2020
1728241723788.png

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Jenik and Gaudette outplay Cousins and Macewen but they get waived because of muh culture.
Not culture, fit and need. Travis Green alluded to it the other day when asked about who will be the 4C. Sometimes it's not always about who played the best, it's about if the player fits what the team needs.

And obviously Cousins was a lock to make the team, he was a 20 point gritty bottom 6 player coming from a cup winning team.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
suprised to see jenik on waivers. Thought he had done enough to make the opening night roster at the very least
Yeah wierd. Some fans thought he was a brilliant depth move by Steve. Guess Steve disagreed? I have a feeling some may say putting him on waiver is also brilliant.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Jenik had an opportunity on several shifts in a couple of games to come to the aid of teammates & he did not, he seems like another pest who lacks hockey IQ & never really played the role they needed as 4th line C & tough guy. Gaudette is an NHL player whose knock has always been on the defensive side, while he can score at the AHL level but he seems to have problems transitioning to the faster, bigger, tougher play in the NHL. Both Cousins & MacEwan have been NHL players for some time & both understand their roles & are decent defensively. I wish MacEwan was a better fighter, but other than that he has good speed & plays an acceptable aggressive role.

Ottawa doesn't really need another scoring RWer with Giroux, Batherson, Perron & Amadio which is why I'm not surprised they didn't keep Gaudette RW. Ostapchuk has the size & toughness to play 4th line centre & he is smart enough to play that role effectively. He is also good enough that as he gains more strength & experience with his skillset can move up in the lineup. While I think Yak has played very well & deserves some NHL games my guess is that he is returned to junior at some point which I think will be great for his development. Next season he may not see any games in Belleville & go directly to the NHL, if he has another preseason like this one.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Just because he's waived doesn't mean he gets sent down, it's possible they are waiving him to see if he can get through, then they have 30 days or 10 games before needing to be waived again, I think.

I guess MacEwen saved his job by fighting Xhekaj,

I think the most likely answer is that he didn't make the team. If he legitimately earned a spot, I don't think they would risk him being selected on waivers, even if the risk is minimal.

With that said, I think that once he clears he will obviously be back up soon. There are injuries. Guys play their way out of the lineup. Etc.

Jenik had an opportunity on several shifts in a couple of games to come to the aid of teammates & he did not, he seems like another pest who lacks hockey IQ & never really played the role they needed as 4th line C & tough guy. Gaudette is an NHL player whose knock has always been on the defensive side, while he can score at the AHL level but he seems to have problems transitioning to the faster, bigger, tougher play in the NHL. Both Cousins & MacEwan have been NHL players for some time & both understand their roles & are decent defensively. I wish MacEwan was a better fighter, but other than that he has good speed & plays an acceptable aggressive role.

Ottawa doesn't really need another scoring RWer with Giroux, Batherson, Perron & Amadio which is why I'm not surprised they didn't keep Gaudette RW. Ostapchuk has the size & toughness to play 4th line centre & he is smart enough to play that role effectively. He is also good enough that as he gains more strength & experience with his skillset can move up in the lineup. While I think Yak has played very well & deserves some NHL games my guess is that he is returned to junior at some point which I think will be great for his development. Next season he may not see any games in Belleville & go directly to the NHL, if he has another preseason like this one.

Gaudette might have been insurance for the PP if Norris couldn't play. Great shot, 1-way player. He was Mr.44In24. He also might have been seen more as an AHL superstar for Belleville to juice up their roster with.

He would be someone they could play on one of the PP units and only deploy with soft as butter o-zone minutes.

Reactions: gab6511 and aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ostapchuk and Macewen are here cause they can fight and are bigger bodies imo

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think the most likely answer is that he didn't make the team. If he legitimately earned a spot, I don't think they would risk him being selected on waivers, even if the risk is minimal.

With that said, I think that once he clears he will obviously be back up soon. There are injuries. Guys play their way out of the lineup. Etc.

Gaudette might have been insurance for the PP if Norris couldn't play. Great shot, 1-way player. He was Mr.44In24. He also might have been seen more as an AHL superstar for Belleville to juice up their roster with.

He would be someone they could play on one of the PP units and only deploy with soft as butter o-zone minutes.
They will be fine as depth players, who cares if they get taken in waivers, there are lots of guys around the league going through waivers that could be picked up as replacements too. I think they wanted to see if Jenik could fight & he did not & IMO missed an opportunity to fill a role. They have plenty of guys for the PP who are better all around players which should make up two good PP units.

Ostapchuk fought in Belleville last yr & has a reputation as a good fighter, they need that on their 4th line C spot since they lost Kastelic. H alsoe has a good enough skillset to move up the lineup if required, they don't need offence from him this yr but they need more toughness.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Bussi from Boston is a good young goalie. Sens might want to grab him

It would be very nice to upgrade from Forsberg, who looks totally cooked.

Personally, I'd have sent Ostapchuk and MacEwen down, and kept Jenik and Gaudette. Ostapchuk is going to be a part of the team eventually this year, but he looked out of control too often this preseason, as if he was trying to do too much. Hopefully he settles in now that he's on the team. A month in the AHL wouldn't have been the worst thing for him.

MacEwen over Jenik is just dumb. Sure, Jenik probably clears, but why take the risk?

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You do kinda feel for a guy like Gaudette because he did all he could in camp. Scored 4G, 1A, won 57% of his faceoffs, and even got into a fight. He was trying hard, but there's just not really a role for him in the NHL. He'll never see the PP, he doesn't play the PK and he's not a physical presence.

Jenik did very little after a fluky 4 point game against the Leafs. The team does not need another agitator with Cousins and Greig already on board. Not being trusted on the PK really hurts his chances in the role he's auditioning for.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
People overreacting and reading too much into Jenik. He will clear and he could easily play his way back up. It could even be an extended try out for Ostapchuk and Jenik is first to come up if it doesn't work out, this is the time to do it with 50 players being exposed. Or maybe they want to expose MacEwen in a week or two hoping he gets picked up so they kept him around instead.

Jenik was looking ok but nothing to lose sleep over.

Also, hate to say it but MacEwen showed he will keep his feet moving and dig out pucks and play hard and fast, exactly what Green wants. Wouldn't have been my choice but his poor play was a bit exaggerated by the fact that he didnt fight in the other games. He looked ok in last night's game.

Green is obviously is trying to create an identity on that fourth line and Jenik wasn't going to serve that purpose.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
They will be fine as depth players, who cares if they get taken in waivers, there are lots of guys around the league going through waivers that could be picked up as replacements too. I think they wanted to see if Jenik could fight & he did not & IMO missed an opportunity to fill a role. They have plenty of guys for the PP who are better all around players which should make up two good PP units.

Ostapchuk fought in Belleville last yr & has a reputation as a good fighter, they need that on their 4th line C spot since they lost Kastelic. H alsoe has a good enough skillset to move up the lineup if required, they don't need offence from him this yr but they need more toughness.

Realistically, Jenik being claimed doesn't matter. He had a solid pre-season, and he might make the NHL one day, but a 24 year old fringe NHLer being claimed is hardly a concern. That is why I doubt there is anything strategic to this beyond him not making the team.

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
You do kinda feel for a guy like Gaudette because he did all he could in camp. Scored 4G, 1A, won 57% of his faceoffs, and even got into a fight. He was trying hard, but there's just not really a role for him in the NHL. He'll never see the PP, he doesn't play the PK and he's not a physical presence.

Jenik did very little after a fluky 4 point game against the Leafs. The team does not need another agitator with Cousins and Greig already on board. Not being trusted on the PK really hurts his chances in the role he's auditioning for.

The way Gaudette can be used in the NHL is limited. He got himself AHL-superstar money off the back of #44in24, and he has a history with Green, so there is always a chance for him to come up to the NHL if they specifically need his skillset. I don't think there is a team in the league where he has a guaranteed spot. It reminds me a bit of Brandon Pirri, who could probably score 20 goals in the NHL like clockwork but is too difficult to deploy in an actual NHL game.

I guess MacEwen “can fight”.

The Canadiens probably saved MacEwan's job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad