Confirmed with Link: Senators Announce Training Camp Roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Be dissapointed that Addison plays over JBD or Hamonic because he earned it is a weird stance.

If Addison plays well in camp and Hamonic is healthy I'd prefer a Hamonic/Addison platoon to to either a Hamonic/JBD platoon or JBD or Hamonic on their own. Still though, none of the three inspire a ton of confidence in me. Paired with a very inexperienced Tyler Kleven makes for a very real potential problem on the 3rd pair. I will not be surprised at all if they need to shore up the 3rd pair by American Thanksgiving.

Reactions: TheNewEra

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Disapointed that a pleyerr like Addsion is on the team, for sure.

Small and unphysical
Very poor defensively
Not doing anything offensively unless gifted PP1, very poor 5v5 offensively

He's at best a Brannstrom replacement, just worse defensively and better offensively.
Lets assume this is 1000% accurate

JBD and Hamonic both havent shown that they definitively deserve the spot. Granted all of these three options makes me highly worried about the spot but if this is what we are trying in training camp then let the best player earn that spot

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
As a #6/#7 what are you expecting?

Someone to fill a role, same reason I was very happy to see Brannstrom off the bottom pair. At the very least, Kleven/JBD/Hamonic are going to play in the defensive zone and play ~1:30-2:00 minutes PK a game. Addison is a guy that has a ~60% offensive zone start over his career, Sens can't hide a guy like Addison, he wouldn't be the guy we put out there in the offensive zone, and we certianly don't want to put him on in the defensive zone. He's played his career thus far playing 3:15 per game on the PP, and hasn't exactly looked very good. Without that, he isn't going to be kept around by teams.

Addison fills zero role unless you're giving him PP1, which he will never get in Ottawa unless all the wheels fall off.

You're not putting him on to protect a lead, not putting him on to go for a goal, not putting him on the PP, not putting him on the PK, isn't physical, doesn't bring leadership or vet presence. Barring 2 injuries that completely derail the Sens season in both Chabot and Sanderson going down, I don't see any reason to want a guy like Addison

The bottom pairing guys should be able to fill 1 of the above roles, otherwise it's a waste of a roster space

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Someone to fill a role, same reason I was very happy to see Brannstrom off the bottom pair. At the very least, Kleven/JBD/Hamonic are going to play in the defensive zone and play ~1:30-2:00 minutes PK a game. Addison is a guy that has a ~60% offensive zone start over his career, Sens can't hide a guy like Addison, he wouldn't be the guy we put out there in the offensive zone, and we certianly don't want to put him on in the defensive zone. He's played his career thus far playing 3:15 per game on the PP, and hasn't exactly looked very good. Without that, he isn't going to be kept around by teams.

Addison fills zero role unless you're giving him PP1, which he will never get in Ottawa unless all the wheels fall off.

You're not putting him on to protect a lead, not putting him on to go for a goal, not putting him on the PP, not putting him on the PK, isn't physical, doesn't bring leadership or vet presence. Barring 2 injuries that completely derail the Sens season in both Chabot and Sanderson going down, I don't see any reason to want a guy like Addison

The bottom pairing guys should be able to fill 1 of the above roles, otherwise it's a waste of a roster space
You're speaking in absolutes about him offensively that I don't think are accurate. Especially the bolded. He has some skill and great wheels. I think he's going to be in and out of the lineup matchup and injury dependant. The idea that he can't play pp2 but pp1 or he has no tools to start a rush or jump in the play are false. He will quite easily be the third best d man on this team in that regard.

Agree about the defensive part. I think he's gonna be in the organization as security for an injury to Chabot or Sanderson. I would have been fine with Branntsrom at league minimum for that role just like I am Addison. Again as an insurance policy it's a good player to have. He's a d man that scored just under a 40 point pace in the NHL at 22 years old. As a #7 that's fine. He had 29 points in 62 games on a team that didn't score much. Strange thing to complain about.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You're speaking in absolutes about him offensively that I don't think are accurate. Especially the bolded. He has some skill and great wheels. I think he's going to be in and out of the lineup matchup and injury dependant. The idea that he can't play pp2 but pp1 or he has no tools to start a rush or jump in the play are false. He will quite easily be the third best d man on this team in that regard.

Agree about the defensive part. I think he's gonna be in the organization as security for an injury to Chabot or Sanderson. I would have been fine with Branntsrom at league minimum for that role just like I am Addison. Again as an insurance policy it's a good player to have. He's a d man that scored just under a 40 point pace in the NHL at 22 years old. As a #7 that's fine. He had 29 points in 62 games on a team that didn't score much. Strange thing to complain about.
He’s a poor player offensively at 5 v 5, outside of the PP he holds very little value. He averages about 12 points at even strength per 82 games over his career, exact same as JBD.

He’s not lasting where he is because teams don’t want him on their bottom pair + 3 minutes PP he’s been getting, I’m not sure why we would want him on the 3rd pair without the PP time, it doesn’t really make sense. The only aspect he’s been above replacement level is on the PP.

I’m all aboard bringing in someone to play above JBD or Hamonic, Addison just brings very little to an NHL team.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He’s a poor player offensively at 5 v 5, outside of the PP he holds very little value. He averages about 12 points at even strength per 82 games over his career, exact same as JBD.

He’s not lasting where he is because teams don’t want him on their bottom pair + 3 minutes PP he’s been getting, I’m not sure why we would want him on the 3rd pair without the PP time, it doesn’t really make sense. The only aspect he’s been above replacement level is on the PP.

I’m all aboard bringing in someone to play above JBD or Hamonic, Addison just brings very little to an NHL team.
I think Addison will be gone after the waiver wire is completed. He might get a two-way NHL-AHL level contract if he performs well.

Dunno where to post this but I'm going to the home opener. Worth it to go there early? What kind of things/events do they have at home openers?

TIA
Hot dogs, hamburgers and beer! :)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

You might be pleasantly surprised if you're willing to give him a chance. He scored 29 points in 62 games at 22 years old. He's one season removed. San Jose was horrid, he's got alot more talent to get the puck to in Ottawa. He's got some raw offensive ability. Much more than JBD. Not gonna sit here and say he's a good defender. However he's shown he can create offense and ill take the raw data over the cherry picked advanced data. The production has been there. Power play goals count too and he can fly. He's fine as a #7 insurance policy if Chabot or Sanderson get hurt. There's still some development left and raw ability.

Reactions: albator71

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You might be pleasantly surprised if you're willing to give him a chance. He scored 29 points in 62 games at 22 years old. He's one season removed. San Jose was horrid, he's got alot more talent to get the puck to in Ottawa. He's got some raw offensive ability. Much more than JBD. Not gonna sit here and say he's a good defender. However he's shown he can create offense and ill take the raw data over the cherry picked advanced data. The production has been there. Power play goals count too and he can fly. He's fine as a #7 insurance policy if Chabot or Sanderson get hurt. There's still some development left and raw ability.
How is that cherry picked, or advanced? It’s just basic ES vs PP. He’s not playing PP here barring some drastic injuries. His ES play is what’s relevant to the role he’d be getting here, as that’s the only ice time that’s available for him, and he’s very poor in that role.

In that 29 point season he put up 18 PP points playing 4 minutes a night. That season is heavily, heavily skewed, that’s not happening anywhere else, he’s never going to get that kind of icetime here, and if he is, it doesn’t matter who we have in that role because the season is already over.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I agree with you, Addison can be a security policy incase Sanderson and/or Chabot get injured. Addison is a good skater can move the puck, he's a keeper.

CallSaul

Jun 19, 2024
How is that cherry picked, or advanced? It’s just basic ES vs PP. He’s not playing PP here barring some drastic injuries. His ES play is what’s relevant to the role he’d be getting here, as that’s the only ice time that’s available for him, and he’s very poor in that role.

In that 29 point season he put up 18 PP points playing 4 minutes a night. That season is heavily, heavily skewed, that’s not happening anywhere else, he’s never going to get that kind of icetime here, and if he is, it doesn’t matter who we have in that role because the season is already over.

We only have 2 defensemen who can QB a powerplay, and it’s likely each of them miss a few games over the course of the season. Not necessarily a severe injury that drastically alters the season, but a bumps and bruises type of thing.

In that scenario, it could be useful to have a guy who can step in and contribute offensively here and there.

It seems like Hamonic is here for sure, so you could certainly argue that having Hamonic, Addison and Matinpalo as your 6, 7 and 8 is better than Hamonic, JBD and Matinpalo.

The problem with JBD is he has no standout skill or role. He’s as vanilla as they come. At least Addison has one thing he can do pretty well, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he survives and JBD goes on waivers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad