Euro: Semifinals - England v. The Netherlands - July 10

Who Advances?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
England really should win this, but Southgate's team always seems on the verge of falling short.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
German guy referiing England match...surely they could have found ref from another country.

And I agree, he shouldn't have been allowed back to international matches. I don't who selected him to this tournament, but surely there would have been several good, more suitable refs from Germany.

Reactions: luiginb

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
German guy referiing England match...surely they could have found ref from another country.

And I agree, he shouldn't have been allowed back to international matches. I don't who selected him to this tournament, but surely there would have been several good, more suitable refs from Germany.
What's the Turkish origin guy's name and why haven't I seen him at the Euros? I always saw that guy command a lot of respect at the Buli/ European level?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
How is this guy ever allowed to ref again, let alone a game at this level...
So from what I could determine he was a linesman for a corrupt ref (Hoyzer) who accepted many bribes and fixed matches. Originally his involvement was only revealed to be as one of the guys who turned him in. The narrative basically being that he figured out the ref was corrupt and then reported him.

Except the investigation found that he:

- Didn't decline the approach by Hoyzer to be part of the scheme
- Didn't report the scheme for many months despite being aware of it
- Accepted a 300 euro bribe in regards to a specific match.

But because they couldn't identify any intentional mistakes (aka couldn't directly prove he acted on the bribe) he only got a 6 month ban. And that 6 month ban overlapped with the time he was off anyway since he was a cooperating witness in the case and thus couldn't referee. So as far as the public knew, he reported, cooperated, and then reinstated since everything was good.

My assumption is that they viewed him as an up and comer and/or he had some connections so they just buried it.

Completely absurd that a referee who accepted a bribe for match fixing, even if he didn't directly make any calls due to it, is still allowed to ref.

• Wow
Reactions: Jussi and Blender

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

English ref in a Germany match......German ref in an England match.

Guess they wanted to even it up.

I still think they should ask Collina to come out of retirement. :laugh:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
What's the Turkish origin guy's name and why haven't I seen him at the Euros? I always saw that guy command a lot of respect at the Buli/ European level?

Denis Aytekin. I ilked him too, but he quit international refereeing in 2022. Only refs in Germany now.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: cgf and luiginb

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
So from what I could determine he was a linesman for a corrupt ref (Hoyzer) who accepted many bribes and fixed matches. Originally his involvement was only revealed to be as one of the guys who turned him in. The narrative basically being that he figured out the ref was corrupt and then reported him.

Except the investigation found that he:

- Didn't decline the approach by Hoyzer to be part of the scheme
- Didn't report the scheme for many months despite being aware of it
- Accepted a 300 euro bribe in regards to a specific match.

But because they couldn't identify any intentional mistakes (aka couldn't directly prove he acted on the bribe) he only got a 6 month ban. And that 6 month ban overlapped with the time he was off anyway since he was a cooperating witness in the case and thus couldn't referee. So as far as the public knew, he reported, cooperated, and then reinstated since everything was good.

My assumption is that they viewed him as an up and comer and/or he had some connections so they just buried it.

Completely absurd that a referee who accepted a bribe for match fixing, even if he didn't directly make any calls due to it, is still allowed to ref.
Zwayer is considered a close associate of former German FIFA ref Lutz Michael Frohlich. Frohlich after retiring from his active officiating career went on to be a refereeing official in the German FA, and had been the manager of all German senior pro level referees since 2018 (he just retired after this past season). Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps not, but Zwayer's career appeared to always advance along with Frohlich's regardless of public controversy.

Reactions: cgf and gary69

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Would be smart, choose Marciniak and Orsato, one can be a ref in the SF and the other in the final.
I don't think it's a problem to have a German ref do the game. English and Dutch refs have done high profile Germany matches before and understandably UEFA expects that sort of thing to not be a big deal.

Zwayer however represents a symptom of a bigger issue: the lack of transparency in refereeing. Unlike pretty much any other aspect of high level pro football, the organization and management of refereeing is basically entirely bureaucratic and closed off to the public (and even the participating clubs and their functionaries, coaches and players). The associations tend to have a 'refereeing' section which is run separately to the other sections and the general take is 'don't look behind the curtain'. It's the same at UEFA and FIFA. We're just meant to assume that everything is run on the straight and narrow and rely on officials being forthcoming with information.

Giving Zwayer this game is thus unfortunate in many ways. For one, England's biggest star player basically played a major role in making the public aware of Zwayer's dubious past. Secondly, while the media is often happy to not look too deeply into referees and their backgrounds - especially in countries like Germany which put a lot of value on privacy - this does decidedly not apply to the British media around major tournaments. We all remember what happened to Urs Meyer in 2004. Zwayer would be given a much harder time even than Meyer if he did anything that's perceived as being at fault for England's potential elimination. Just Zwayer being potentially afraid of that is a disqualifying reason as it could cause him to avoid making 'big calls' against England.

Reactions: cgf

Westlander

the olden time
Aug 31, 2004
The Netherlands
How rude. You must be Dutch.
I wouldn’t necessarily assume the background of that poster; as you will have noticed there are plenty of neutrals who like to make a sport of cheering against England and love seeing them blow up, just like people on these boards do with the Leafs.
Here in the Netherlands though I have never really detected that knee jerk contempt that some other supporters groups have for England. There is not much in the way of historical grievance between the countries the way the Dutch would have had with the Germans in the old days

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I wouldn’t necessarily assume the background of that poster; as you will have noticed there are plenty of neutrals who like to make a sport of cheering against England and love seeing them blow up, just like people on these boards do with the Leafs.
Here in the Netherlands though I have never really detected that knee jerk contempt that some other supporters groups have for England. There is not much in the way of historical grievance between the countries the way the Dutch would have had with the Germans in the old days

The poster you are responding to is Finnish, which means you are almost guaranteed it's supposed to be a joke, and if you don't understand the joke, then you can be even more sure it's supposed to be a joke

Reactions: bluesfan94

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Relax, it's a Ted Lasso reference:

18bfaf637498ea733e3c775483e0a12256316b78.gif

:laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad