GDT: Semi Final: Canada Vs Finland | 1PM EST 7PM CET | CAN 5 - 0 FIN

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I thought the USA had the better team on paper, and they got shut out against Finland. In one game showdowns like this,
paper does not mean a thing. It will be a very even contest. May the best team win- which i hope is Canada.
Agreed, right back at ya.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
In light of this fact, why Finland is always considered the underdog?

And if Finland wins someone, it's always because of shutting down the opponent, not because of great offense and generally being the better team?
Yeah i don't understand this nonsence either, i mean yes Finland sometimes uses shutdown tactics when the roster is fit for it. But that's not always the case either, just look at last senior WC with everyone counting us out, we didn't have a single active NHL player and played very good OA especially offensively. We drove the play and dictated the game all tournament long. Against full NHL caliber rosters.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
As a Canadian I really dislike playing Finland in any competition. We're used to getting up against the big name, traditional rivals like Russia, USA and more recently Sweden but there is a bit of a mentality of quietly downplaying Finland's threat without publicly acknowledging it. They're like the Expert mode version of playing Switzerland.

I really think it's 50/50 how it will go and wouldn't feel confident putting any money on this game.

Reactions: king89 and FinPanda

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Yes in fact the games shouldn't be played, because the gold should be handed before the games.
IMG_4527.GIF

And once again...
IMG_4499.GIF

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah i don't understand this nonsence either, i mean yes Finland sometimes uses shutdown tactics when the roster is fit for it. But that's not always the case either, just look at last senior WC with everyone counting us out, we didn't have a single active NHL player and played very good OA especially offensively. We drove the play and dictated the game all tournament long. Against full NHL caliber rosters.
You didn't drive play in the gold medal game whatsoever at the WHC apart from here and there, but when you did you made it count . You locked it down after getting the lead and it was a great choice, the correct choice.

Nothing wrong with that.

I do agree with you that Finland does not always do it.

Ginger Papa

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
You didn't drive play in the gold medal game whatsoever at the WHC apart from here and there, but when you did you made it count . You locked it down after getting the lead and it was a great choice, the correct choice.

Nothing wrong with that.

I do agree with you that Finland does not always do it.
You're a solid Poster here. I'm thankful this Tourney has given me the opportunity to read more of your contributions.
Chuck Norris thumbs up.gif

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
To me, this is the hockey equivalent of Brazil v Holland. On one side, there's the country with a bottomless talent pool, a home crowd that heaps tremendous pressure on the players, and a general sense of "we are the game". On the other side, there's an Ajax-like system that is drilled into the kids until they become almost interchangeable cogs in a relentless machine that is designed to mitigate any disadvantage in individual talent.

Last edited:

blindpass

May 7, 2010
To me, this is the hockey equivalent of Brazil v Holland. On one side, there's the country with a bottomless talent pool, a home crowd that heaps tremendous pressure on the players, and a general sense of "we are the game". On the other side, there's an Ajax-like system that is drilled into the kids until they almost become interchangeable cogs in a relentless machine that is designed to mitigate any disadvantage in individual talent.
Accurate. US/Canada would have been more wide open hockey, but I can appreciate watching Canada try to defeat the Borgs too. Esp. When it's mixed in with some brilliant individual talent too. The Tanus no look pass was a thing of beauty.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I like Canada as an opponent. It's damn fun if we beat them, but can't be very sad if we lose because we knew they are that good. Only team which would make me sad and mad would be losing to Sweden in a gold medal game. It's not because I hate Sweden or Swedes, I just want us to beat them.

Hyvä Suomi! Go Finland!

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I like Canada as an opponent. It's damn fun if we beat them, but can't be very sad if we lose because we knew they are that good. Only team which would make me sad and mad would be losing to Sweden in a gold medal game. It's not because I hate Sweden or Swedes, I just want us to beat them.

Hyvä Suomi! Go Finland!
I dislike losing to you guys, of all the big hockey nations, the least. I’ll be as miserable as ever to everyone in the GDT, but if we have to lose a game, I’d rather it be to the Finns, Germans, or Swiss than anyone else. Definitely not to the Ruskies or Yanks! :)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
You're a solid Poster here. I'm thankful this Tourney has given me the opportunity to read more of your contributions.
Thank you very much, I appreciate that.

I am hoping tomorrow all the real good posters here that exist on both sides can part as friends win or lose, none of us is perfect and I am certainly not but I think we should mostly all be able to just discuss the game in a civil manner and tip our hat to the victor or be gracious in victory, what either side both teams fans fall on tomorrow we have to keep in mind that the shoe will be on the other foot in future events. You can neither win nor lose them all.

Heres hoping for an action packed drama filled game.

Last edited:

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I like the way Finland plays, they are the closest to the Canadian style out there. Physical and relentless, you can't take a shift off or you will pay. Looking forward to this game, bet it will be close.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
Finland is amazing, don't get me wrong - but something tells me Canada handles them with ease on their way to winning gold. 7-3 Canada.

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Finland is amazing, don't get me wrong - but something tells me Canada handles them with ease on their way to winning gold. 7-3 Canada.

That said, I'm glad we got Canada in the semis from the options available. The Swedes took us to school in the group game, while the Russians destroyed Canada. Whisper it, but the other semifinal could be the true championship game.

dombrova22

Apr 12, 2017
That said, I'm glad we got Canada in the semis from the options available. The Swedes took us to school in the group game, while the Russians destroyed Canada. Whisper it, but the other semifinal could be the true championship game.
It very well could be, I just feel like this Canadian team means business.

Reactions: Anichels

PlusMinusZero

Sep 19, 2014
Sastamala
Way too polite thread this is. **** Canada. Justin Bieber and Nickelback suck donkey ****. Gretzky was nothing without Kurri and Tikkanen. There I said it.:popcorn:

Porvari

Rekisteröitynyt käyttäjä
Feb 19, 2010
Way too polite thread this is. **** Canada. Justin Bieber and Nickelback suck donkey ****.
Gretzky was nothing without Kurri and Tikkanen. There I said it.:popcorn:

And that Power Play TV show sucked ass.

Lance et compte was aces, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad