GDT: Semi Final: Canada Vs Finland | 1PM EST 7PM CET | CAN 5 - 0 FIN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FinPanda

Barkov Stanley cup champ!
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
At times my friend, I’ve had lots of good chats with Finns over the years. I really do need to go over there sometime.

I’m not always polite about hockey, I’m pretty sure I went into a berserker Viking type rage when we lost to Russia and didn’t take a pound of flesh physically from them.

Best of luck tomorrow, hopefully Canada wins though :)
Agreed for the most part except the "Canada wins" part. It should be "Canada loses" or "Finland wins" ;)

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Yeah but sometimes I feel Canadians are too arrogant when it comes to hockey. Like the whole sport is the one thing no one else can't be as good as Canada.

While it's true mostly, it's still sometimes too arrogant and it lacks respect for other countries.
It;s just built into us, we consider hockey a national heirloom that we must protect and that we can't allow anyone to take from us.

Asking us not to take pride of and stick our chest out about hockey is like asking you guys not to do the same about the winter war. You've got to give us some slack, our memories as people are intertwined so closely with the sport, I mean...............the summit series is our winter war. I'm serious.

Know what I mean?

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
It;s just built into us, we consider hockey a national heirloom that we must protect and that we can't allow anyone to take from us.

Asking us not to take pride of and stick our chest out about hockey is like asking you guys not to do the same about the winter war. You've got to give us some slack, our memories as people are intertwined so closely with the sport, I mean...............the summit series is our winter war. I'm serious.

Know what I mean?
Yeah I totally understand and its fair if you can show respect to those who have beaten Canada on their own playground.

That is all I am hoping for.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
Yeah I totally understand and its fair if you can show respect to those who have beaten Canada on their own playground.

Well i know jj cale is one of few Canadians in here that don't play out the "we don't" care card if they lose and if they win prais this to be the ultimate tournament of all time to show how superior Canada is.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

If you want understand a little more what @jj cale means and how significant hockey is to our psyche watch this.

It’s about an hour and a half but well for anyone fanatical about hockey and history.

NBC (American company) did a feature about the 1972 Summit Series. It’s the best account of it out there.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I've never had an issue doing it for the most part. that stuff is a two way street though, I mean, you don't have to look far here to always find a slew of fans from the other countries who can never give Canada any credit whatsoever when they win. It is always inevitably a reffing conspiracy or dirty play blah blah blah with them. There is no way you can't have noticed that.

Europeans and Americans can be pretty damn arrogant and salty in their own right, they don't tend to take a backseat at that game. They sure don't as a rule around here I know that.

Anyway, game on!!! I think we will be ready.

Should you guys best us tomorrow I will most certainly acknowledge that the day belonged to you and you earned it. I've done it before and see no reason to be any different now.

Reactions: blindpass

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
If you want understand a little more what @jj cale means and how significant hockey is to our psyche watch this.

It’s about an hour and a half but well for anyone fanatical about hockey and history.

NBC (American company) did a feature about the 1972 Summit Series. It’s the best account of it out there.

yeah, that's a beauty doc for sure snipes.

FinPanda

Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
I've never had an issue doing it for the most part. that stuff is a two way street though, I mean, you don't have to look far here to always find a slew of fans from the other countries who can never give Canada any credit whatsoever when they win. It is always inevitably a reffing conspiracy or dirty play blah blah blah with them. There is no way you can't have noticed that.

Europeans and Americans can be pretty damn arrogant and salty in their own right, they don't tend to take a backseat at that game. They sure don't as a rule around here I know that.

Anyway, game on!!! I think we will be ready.
Yeah it goes both ways. I am quite arrogant but I try to avoid saltiness.

Reactions: jj cale

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall

That video were good can't help to think it's some propaganda but still a great video gotta give this warriors on both team well deserved respect!

Reactions: snipes

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That video were good can't help to think it's some propaganda but still a great video gotta give this warriors on both team well deserved respect!

It’s a must watch for any hockey fan.

Some interesting stuff covering when they played the Swedes as well in 1972 leading up the games in Moscow.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Ditto for you Finpanda, you're one of the tops here in my book.

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Seems some canadians here don't fully understand what hockey means to Finland either (SOMEHOW). Biggest sport in the country by a huge amount.

Also sad how often it has to be mentioned.

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
It’s a must watch for any hockey fan.

Some interesting stuff covering when they played the Swedes as well in 1972 leading up the games in Moscow.

Yeah that was my favorit part :D haha love how they said Sweden were good at the time! And that idiot swede that cut the tounge on that canadian guy but they said it was a good lesson to get used to play on big ice ^.^! Not gonna lie the one made that movie is a really good editor gave me goose bumps.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah that was my favorit part :D haha love how they said Sweden were good at the time! And that idiot swede that cut the tounge on that canadian guy but they said it was a good lesson to get used to play on big ice ^.^! Not gonna lie the one made that movie is a really good editor gave me goose bumps.

I get chills every time I watch it, there was so much more at stake than just hockey.

It also shows the difference in training techniques and playing styles. 1972 forever changed the course of hockey and as it talks about in the film, altered the way we thought about the game. It was a complete clash of styles that led to the best hockey that had ever been played at that time.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
It’s the one area where we are the global hegemonic power in. We live and breathe this sport, it’s quintessentially Canadian.

We’re super polite and kind hearted people in every other area of life except when it comes to hockey.
It's actually interesting from a sociopsychological viewpoint how un-Canadian you are when you get to the rink and play hockey.

[That's a generic "you", not you, haha.]

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa

Know what I mean?

No, that is SO wrong, the summit series was a sporting event, not a war. It's stupid to compare the two. Absolutely stupid to compare them...

aphyro

För evigt trogen AIK
May 16, 2013
Sundsvall
I get chills every time I watch it, there was so much more at stake than just hockey.

It also shows the difference in training techniques and playing styles. 1972 forever changed the course of hockey and as it talks about in the film, altered the way we thought about the game. It was a complete clash of styles that led to the best hockey that had ever been played at that time.

Yeah they gave that forgot the name of that Russian guy credits for it! But yeah the training back then seemed to be much thougher aswell :D!

But darn i like this 2 Canadian guys in the video the one scoring all the important goals and the Captain they seems like down to earth guys!

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Can you guys stop with all the mutual respect and start hating each other? The last few posts have made me feel like hockey is just a game, and not something worth clawing my eyes out or bathing in the blood of my enemies over. That just won't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad